Author Topic: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers  (Read 11014 times)

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
RE: Star Wars VII Topic Discussion - May Contain Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
Ugh, my YouTube link didn't work...it was a link to one of the trailers for The Old Republic, the nice cinematic ones.

Actually, you'd probably be surprised with how much input Lucas HAS with the Clone Wars.  I'll be honest, the show was rather slow to start.  It was decent at first.  But the thing is, each season GOT BETTER.

As for Peter Jackson...no thanks.  I have no intention of sitting through a three hour Star Wars movie that's split into two parts.  I allow it for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit because those stories have so much to say.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 12:52:55 PM »
As for Peter Jackson...no thanks.  I have no intention of sitting through a three hour Star Wars movie that's split into two parts.  I allow it for Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit because those stories have so much to say.

My mother disagrees; she's wondering what the hell's up with making "The Hobbit" three movies, and thinks that perhaps Sir Pete is trying to squeeze every penny out of the box office he can. I think it could easily have been told in two.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2012, 01:35:21 PM »
Meh.  I disagree because I see perfect points where these movies can be broken up.  Movie 1 ends with the escape from the wargs with the help of the eagles, Movie 2 ends with either the escape in the barrels and the arrival in Laketown or with them making it to the Lonely Mountain.  And that's if movie 2 doesn't end with Gandalf learning of the dwarves' capture and finishing his "business" at Dol Guldur.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »
The way I understand it, the third movie will be extra stuff, perhaps what Aragorn and Gandalf do in the 60 year interim.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
I don't think all of the third movie is extra stuff, that's going to be weaved in. There's plenty from the appendices that can be used.

As for Star Wars, I think there's plenty of story there to be split into two movies. Heck, Lucas made six movies out of just one story. Lucas may have more input than I'm aware of, but what I meant was that he let's others sit in the drivers seat. He should have done that with the prequels.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
OMG guys!  GUYS.  THERE.  IS.  HOPE.  Lawrence Kasdan(writer for both Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) and Simon Kinberg(writer for X-Men: First Class) are going to be writing/producing Episodes VIII and IX.  No word on who gets which episode or if they'll both do them, but THIS MEANS THERE IS ACTUAL TALENT INVOLVED!!!  Source

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2012, 03:18:31 AM »
Here's looking forward to 2017 and 2019 respectively then... That is, unless the World is destroyed next month :)
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
*whistles*

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2013, 08:06:34 PM »
Why are people so negative? Disney bought Marvel a few years back, and that turned out pretty okay (The Avengers made over 1.5 billion dollars at the box office). I remember similar negativity in regards to JJ Abrams being handed over the reigns to running Star Trek.

well to be honest I think JJ sunk the Star Trek Franchise and turned it into a generic sci-fi action movie with no plot, no morales, and no overall values besides more lense flare. But a new Star Wars movie could be cool, at least it might be better than Episode 1 so long as they keep Johnny Deep away from it

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »
well to be honest I think JJ sunk the Star Trek Franchise and turned it into a generic sci-fi action movie with no plot, no morales, and no overall values besides more lense flare. But a new Star Wars movie could be cool, at least it might be better than Episode 1 so long as they keep Johnny Deep away from it

Your "opinion", and frankly I think it's absolutely wrong.  It had a lot more to it than the Star Wars prequel films all together.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline candle_86

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:36 AM »
Your "opinion", and frankly I think it's absolutely wrong.  It had a lot more to it than the Star Wars prequel films all together.

ur viewpoint as well but i wont be seeing his latest pile of trash. star trek as far as real actors died in 2005 after enterprise. all any of us have now is books to keep gene's dream alive

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2013, 01:01:41 AM »
Honestly, I am so sick of people claiming to be Trek fans talking about "Gene's dream".  I'm sorry.  Look at freaking Zefram Cochrane in First Contact.  That's Gene.  He made Star Trek in order to make MONEY.  It just happens that he did something fantastic.  And I don't see what's so anti-Star Trek about the 2009 film.  Star Trek's strength lies in a group of people who normally wouldn't work together actually overcoming their differences to come together as a family to overcome any adversity.

I mean this in no offense to you candle_86.  You're far from the only one I've heard this line of thinking from.  I will say...honestly, I think you could be a little more civil about it.  Frankly, J.J. Abrams is THE classiest director in Hollywood IMO, especially after his recent actions with the late fan whose last wish was to see Star Trek Into Darkness.  To bring it back on topic, I cannot imagine George Lucas or anyone from Disney fulfilling that kind of wish.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:54 AM »
I gotta agree with Shadowknight here. People who claim to "defend Gene's dream", seem to selectively pick-and-choose what parts of "Gene's dream" they want to defend. I suppose under their argument, anything made up until 2005 is part of "Gene's dream", whereas 2009+ is "something else".

Prior to the 2009 movie, Trek was effectively dead for all intents and purposes. Braga and Berman made sure of that with ENTERPRISE. The last feature film was 2002 and it sucked (non-Trek director, no respect for Trek or it's actors etc). ENTERPRISE wasn't "bad", but it didn't live up to it's promise of exploring the universe during the early days of the Federation. Instead, it ended up bringing in several classic villains such as the Borg, the Ferengi and ofcoruse, the Klingons. It was only during Season 4 where the show showed some hope of trying to merge with the TOS that we all know and love. By then, it was unfortunately too late.

Candle_86, I urge you and all the "nay-sayers" to heed the words of Admiral/Captain James Tiberius Kirk;

"Fresh minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant."
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline candle_86

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
I gotta agree with Shadowknight here. People who claim to "defend Gene's dream", seem to selectively pick-and-choose what parts of "Gene's dream" they want to defend. I suppose under their argument, anything made up until 2005 is part of "Gene's dream", whereas 2009+ is "something else".

Prior to the 2009 movie, Trek was effectively dead for all intents and purposes. Braga and Berman made sure of that with ENTERPRISE. The last feature film was 2002 and it sucked (non-Trek director, no respect for Trek or it's actors etc). ENTERPRISE wasn't "bad", but it didn't live up to it's promise of exploring the universe during the early days of the Federation. Instead, it ended up bringing in several classic villains such as the Borg, the Ferengi and ofcoruse, the Klingons. It was only during Season 4 where the show showed some hope of trying to merge with the TOS that we all know and love. By then, it was unfortunately too late.

Candle_86, I urge you and all the "nay-sayers" to heed the words of Admiral/Captain James Tiberius Kirk;

"Fresh minds, fresh ideas, be tolerant."

why should I be tolerant to him or his trailer trash movies? Shortly before his first movie he showed great dislike for our kind, he wanted to make Star Trek for the masses and encouraged the die hards to stay home, going as far as saying this isn't our star trek anymore. So I will not be tolerant, I'm more likly to go to the next sci fi convention hes at and throw fruit at him and if Pine is there at him as well.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
Then you are effectively going against the very ideals of "Star Trek". Very mature stance, from someone claiming to be a defender of "Gene's dream"
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
^ Plus (No offence) but this seems to be why he was encouraging you not to go see it...since it would just make you mad?

You could argue that at least he wasn't BS'ing anybody - he didn't set out to stick to Gene's vision and he stood by that and he warned the die-hard fans, "You're not going to like it"
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
You know guys, another part of Gene's vision was that people would tolerate and respect each others opinions.  Not everyone agreed on everything, but they wouldn't become uncivilized about it.  At least in the Federation that is.

And those Starfleet officers never became so inflamed over fictional stuff either.

My way of saying "cool it, gents."

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
why should I be tolerant to him or his trailer trash movies? Shortly before his first movie he showed great dislike for our kind, he wanted to make Star Trek for the masses and encouraged the die hards to stay home, going as far as saying this isn't our star trek anymore. So I will not be tolerant, I'm more likly to go to the next sci fi convention hes at and throw fruit at him and if Pine is there at him as well.

Ooooh, so he should be hated for trying to expand the fandom?  Face it bud, we are OLD.  And growing older every year.  Sure some of us might rope our friends or family into the fandom, but that's not a guarantee.  And while I personally liked Nemesis(sure better than Insurrection), it did terrible at the box office.  That goes to show that the population of Trekkies that will continually go to see these movies is shrinking, and shrinking fast.  Without expanding the audience, soon Star Trek would belong to only the stereotypical nerds in their basements, slowly rotting away.

I have seen the 2009 film many times.  I have also watched every movie and nearly every episode of the TV shows(was up to Season 3 of Enterprise when I lost my job and had to cancel Netflix).  Was JJ's film a thinking man's movie?  No, but, and let's be honest here, neither were The Wrath of Khan or First Contact.  Both were action/sci-fi and both are considered among the best in the franchise.  There are elements of both of those in Abrams' movie.

Is the film perfect?  No.  It could have used a few more bits in Spock Prime's flashback to show how the supernova that destroyed Romulus wasn't a standard run-of-the-mill supernova.  It could've possibly been a bit better explained for the idiots in the audience that Nero was being held at a Klingon prison camp and subsequently escaped.

But is it really any different than some of the more action packed episodes of the original series?  I say no.  In fact, let's take a quick trip back.  Do you remember WHY there were two different pilots of The Original Series?  Because network executives felt "The Cage" was too cerebral for the audience.  So Roddenberry wrote another pilot, removing the brooding Christopher Pike and replacing him with the younger, cockier, brasher James T.(R.) Kirk.  Why did he do this?  Why compromise his "vision"?  Simple.  He wanted to sell his show.  He abandoned the cerebral plot-driven pilot and gave Jim Kirk something to shoot at, as well as removing Spock's emotions.

Star Trek 2009 didn't change the characters all that much.  Jim Kirk was brash, young, and as of the movie, untempered.  Dr. McCoy was irascible and had just went through a divorce.  Spock was still struggling with his human half.  And so on.  The only real change was Chekov's age, and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that maybe his parents were aboard the U.S.S. Kelvin and as a result of that close brush with death decided life was too short, got married earlier and had little Pavel a few years earlier.  As for Spock/Uhura?  The attraction was there in early episodes of the original series, at least on Uhura's side.  The fact that, in this timeline, Spock remained as an instructor at the Academy since the Enterprise hadn't been completed yet merely allowed the attraction to actually develop.  Sulu?  Still a swashbuckling helmsman.  Scotty?  Still an irrepressible engineer with a sense of humor.

All Abrams did was speed up the action.  And as for the "horrible" lens flares...those have been in Star Trek way before Abrams set foot at Paramount.  For god's sakes, every torpedo ever fired(except for that crappy blurry torpedo the Klingons fired in STV) was a lens flare.  The 2009 film reinvigorated a dying franchise and opened the door for new fans to actually ENJOY Star Trek.  And I will say this to you JB2005.  Nothing JJ Ever said told me, as a die-hard fan, "You're not going to like this."  I saw the movie three times in the theaters.  Once I went with my anti-Trek/pro-Wars sister.  Another I went with some of my friends.  And the third time alone.  The third time, there was an older gentleman sitting a few seats away.  As the film ended and Giachino's rendition of Courage's grand theme played, he turned to me and said something to this effect: "I've been a Star Trek fan since it first came on television.  This is the best Star Trek film I've seen."  Does enjoying Star Trek 2009 make me automatically dislike the rest of Star Trek?  No.  Yes, the films are geared for action.  That's what films ARE.  That's what they will always be.  No one is going to pay upwards of 8 or 10 bucks to sit and watch a 2 hour debate over space travel physics.  While I love the movies, I think Star Trek is at its best on TV, where the audience can sit back and relax and breathe.  For a movie, it HAS to be a rush, it has to engage your senses, otherwise no one is going to recommend dropping the money to go see it.

That's my rant.  A bit long, but hopefully people like candle can see where I'm coming from.  Hopefully I haven't been rude or insulting, either.  But I will say one last thing in conclusion here, and then we should get back on topic for Star WARS and leave the Trek debate to other parts of the forum.  I loved the new movie, and excited for the second, and I'm not the only Star Trek fan who is.  So I ask of you naysayers...what makes YOU right, and what makes US wrong?

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
didn't farshot just ask you guys to cool it?
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
didn't farshot just ask you guys to cool it?

I was in the midst of typing that when FarShot posted. :doh:

To Boldly Go...Again.