Author Topic: Bridge Commander Modding  (Read 933 times)

Offline vinee29

• Cookies: 0
Bridge Commander Modding
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
I am need of some help.

I have added some stargate ships but i want to increase the speeds of the ships. How do i do that. i have search the site but cant find how to do it

also i have another ship which has weapons that i want to add to the first ship so how would i do that. Mainly the missiles

thanks

p.s im a noob, just joined.

Love bridgecommander

Offline vinee29

Re: Bridge Commander Modding
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:57:03 PM »
Also got another question,

my computer has i7 2630, gt540m 2gb and 8gb of RAM but the game only recognises my intel graphics card due to optimus. how can i change this. the game is running very slow

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 03:04:29 PM »
Do you have the ability for your laptop to choose which GPU to select?

My laptop has an fn+ function so that it selects the QUADRO Workstation card and not in integrated INTEL HD one. I then boot BC fine.

Some of the Modders will be along to answer your modding question shortly i am sure, would love to see your SG meshes  :thumbsup:

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »
If you download the SDK from BCfiles and use the MPE (Model Property Editor) you can change the speed to your heart's content!

I apologise for the extended use of acronyms!
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
vinee: the stock graphics card probably needs an update as well. they're notorious for this.  mine took a 17 meg update just to run 1024's.  let us know if the suggestion MarkyD made works.

note to markyD; does that function switching work only with lappies, or is it exclusive to 7/vista/8?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
vinee: the stock graphics card probably needs an update as well. they're notorious for this.  mine took a 17 meg update just to run 1024's.  let us know if the suggestion MarkyD made works.

note to markyD; does that function switching work only with lappies, or is it exclusive to 7/vista/8?

Hi mate, as far as I am aware "optimus" is a mobile thing for better battery life, its quite recent, so WIN 7 & 8 support is probably guaranteed but anything prior is a guessing game. That said, forcing wich GPU to use will OR "optimus"..  My lappy has a FN key for it as I have a mobile workstation lappy, but if your lappy does not have this function just go into the device manager and disable the integrated GPU. It should force the system onto the accelerated GPU.

Just remember to re enable it. (bare in mind this is not 100%) but it does work.. :thumbsup:

Offline vinee29

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding the graphics card, i do not have an fn+ option to change the graphics card. within the Nvidia Control Panel, i have selected the game to run using GT540m but when i go into the game, the only graphics card that shows up is the Intel HD card. so still stuck with that. is there a way to edit any scripts or files within the game to detect the nvidia graphics card.

Regarding the modding, i downloaded the Model Editor as said, but the stargate files are all sepearate. i can find the .niff file in C:\Users\User\Saved Games\Star Trek Bridge Commander\data\Models\Ships\bc304Odyssey
it then asks me to launch a script file?? so i assumed it was in C:\Users\User\Saved Games\Star Trek Bridge Commander\scripts\ships
but after selecting the script, it doesnt do anything.

Once again cheers for the quick reply

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
no, the file they said to alter is in bridge commander/ships/scripts/hardpoints...I may be off from being out of it for 6 months.

I have the ship you're using.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:42:50 PM »
I had the same problem on my former HP laptop, the thing was whenever I set BC to use ATI 6770 it still used intel 3000 ... setting the card for specific program (BC) in catalyst control center didn't help either... it's common problem with older games.

What you need to do is to go to your BIOS and look for option called Switchable Graphics/ Switchable GPU, most likely it will be set to DYNAMIC, set it to FIXED and then after you boot your system go to nvidia panel and look for option to switch graphics from energy saving to high performance.

At least it looks like that on ATI/AMD in pair with Intel HD/i5... on nvidia it should look similiar ;)

Oh and if it happens to be switchable graphics then I hope you'll have better luck updating nvidia :P I was stuck with only one driver supported by my switchable GPU which came with OS ... silly because even if I try to update it with driver specifically for the ati card I had it always said it's not the model I have blah blah blah ... :P but that's past :P mentioned switchable GPU in my HP overheated and died taking whole damn laptop with it to trash :D good riddance  :evil:

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:55 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding the modding, i downloaded the Model Editor as said, but the stargate files are all sepearate. i can find the .niff file in C:\Users\User\Saved Games\Star Trek Bridge Commander\data\Models\Ships\bc304Odyssey
it then asks me to launch a script file?? so i assumed it was in C:\Users\User\Saved Games\Star Trek Bridge Commander\scripts\ships
but after selecting the script, it doesnt do anything.

Once again cheers for the quick reply

no, the file they said to alter is in bridge commander/ships/scripts/hardpoints...I may be off from being out of it for 6 months.

I have the ship you're using.

That's the one - once you've opened it, click on the expandable options on the right until you've opened scene root, then you should see the subsystems on the left!
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline vinee29

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:50:08 AM »
cheers guys, got the modding to work. thanks for the help

plus the graphics solution mentioned does not work. i looked in the bios could not manage to set nvidia as default. the problem i think lies with optimus, if a disable the intel graphics card, the screen doesnt load as i think the intel is used for the screen rendering. the gt540m is only meant for games. the graphics card works with all the modern games including some old games but doest not work with bridge commander so still need help there.

any more suggestions would be good cause i really want to set the BC on the highest level and play.

cheers

Offline genty

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:59:03 AM »
I found a post somewhere that had a sort of a fix for worlds of warcraft. It may work for BC, it may not.

1-Right-click on the shortcut to Bridge Commander and select the target box.
2-After the speachmark at the end add a space and then type -d3d11
3-Click apply then ok.
4-Try to play the game

As I said, no idea if this will work for BC and I don't have a laptop with optimus myself to test.

Offline vinee29

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 02:27:40 PM »
I found a post somewhere that had a sort of a fix for worlds of warcraft. It may work for BC, it may not.

1-Right-click on the shortcut to Bridge Commander and select the target box.
2-After the speachmark at the end add a space and then type -d3d11
3-Click apply then ok.
4-Try to play the game

As I said, no idea if this will work for BC and I don't have a laptop with optimus myself to test.

Tried it but didnt work. Cheers for the help anyway

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
wait...d3D11 in the warcraft shortcut?  what's that supposed to do?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:05 AM »
Are you sure there is completely no option in BIOS to turn that GPU switcher off ?

I'm sure there is option somewhere in either BIOS or OS tho I never had optimus, only ATI switchable graphics...

also you could try to run BC with custom settings through ntune - I think that's the name of the software for nvidia but I'm not sure ... I remember it overrides games settings tho I don't know if it overrides things like GPU to-be-used by the game... it's worth trying methinks :P

Offline genty

• Cookies: 19
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 06:54:16 AM »
wait...d3D11 in the warcraft shortcut?  what's that supposed to do?

I found the information here
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2593006174

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:16 AM »
I figured it out.  the addon tells the shortcut to run the thing in Direct3D11.  I bet that's why this didn't work for this guy.  a bunch of settings probably have to be changed to get the PC and the game to recognise the fancy graphics card.  I know you can use BC's GUI to show the graphics card in use right at loadup.  can you see if it's in there?
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline vinee29

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 09:32:56 AM »
Within the game, the only graphics card the game sees is the intel hd but with other games, gt540m is recognised. i  checked the bios again with no way to force rendering through the nvidia. i selected the nvidia pannel to use the gt540m when running the game but when i check the status of the nvidia graphics card, it says its not being used.

im still stumped guys