Author Topic: The Novelverse [Possible Spoilers]  (Read 506 times)

Offline JB2005

• Scripter, Lawyer, Soldier, Spy
  • Cookies: 58
    • Captain's Orders Blog
The Novelverse [Possible Spoilers]
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
I think there's a couple of people kicking about who read the Novels...and it's been bothering me for a while that in the second Cold Equations book, President Bacco is talking about re-election...except the book's set in 2384 and she was elected in 2379 and its been established that presidential terms in the Federation are 4 years...

The only thing I can think is that she was elected in a Special Election, so maybe she was elected to serve the remainder of Zife's term and her own term?
http://captainsordersdevelopmentblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/preview-no-1.html- Captains Orders Development Blog - Last Updated 10/12/2011

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
Re: The Novelverse [Possible Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:08:52 AM »
My understanding is that this is indeed what happened. I believe it was in the "A Time To..." series that establishes that Min Zife was forced to resign (read: assassinated) over the Tezwa affair, and Bacco won the special election to replace him. This all took place just days before Shinzon and Tal'Aura wiped out the Romulan Senate. I am also of the understanding that the Federation presidency has no term limits, given that the STO timeline establishes Bacco serving until 2392, which would imply at least three full terms.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter