Author Topic: Anti Aliasing ?  (Read 510 times)

Offline m4ccy

• Cookies: 0
Anti Aliasing ?
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
Hi to all ! I spotted an online screenshot from STBC yesterday, it was a sovereign v schimitar screenie.
The texture quality seems to be rather awesome and the ship does not appear to have any jagged edges, giving the impression of anti aliasing ? There is no such option in STBC that I am aware of to achieve this. Can anybody give me an idea as to what I need to have installed to achieve this quality ?

The screenshot is located here http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/The-history-of-Star-Trek-games-Part-2/Item3625.aspx
its the first screenie on the page. I compare to my own and it seems I have some jagged edges, I run 1280x1024 resolution with all visual effects to max.

I get great FPS and my video card is more than substantial I think.

ATI HD 4300/4500 series with 1024mb

Any help would be appreciated, I wish to make the most of my BC which runs koboyashi maru latest at present. Perhaps it is just a model upgrade.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Anti Aliasing ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
You need to go into your graphics cards control panel (either Nvidia or AMD) and force AA and AF there. You should be able to get to it by right clicking on your desktop...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline m4ccy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
I guess I have some issues then, in my ATI catalyst control centre, there is nothing I can change in regards to graphic options, there is no graphic options tab.
I know the card supports it because I searched online, also I have other games that use AA from the in game menu.

Will try to update drivers.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11:26 PM »
it should be under a tab called "3d application settings"... there is even a search box in the catalyst control center...
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline m4ccy

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
Aye, there was nothing of the sort, from previous ati cards I know it should be there, I was even using advanced mode.

Anyway I updated my drivers and now the catalyst control centre wont fire up at all, just doing some windows updates, then will get back to it. 

On another point, previous attempts at searching the stbc built in server list would result in an error, I guess due to gamespy pulling the serverlist, however last night and today it says "Done getting list" obviously the list is empty, I wonder if a list still exists then ? Will be trying to host a server from laptop in a moment and try it out from desktop pc.

Will keep you posted.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 01:56:34 PM »
In order to get the best results for your Radeon card, you should first properly remove the old drivers from your system and then do a clean install of the latest drivers for your particular card.

It is never recommended that new drivers be installed over the old drivers without first completely removing the old drivers.  I don't know if you did that or if you did uninstall the old drivers and then installed the new - but one unfortunate reality about graphic drivers is that the normal uninstall does not totally remove all the pieces of the drivers from a system.

1. First download the latest specific drivers for your card and your OS.
2. Then uninstall the old drivers in the normal manner.
3. Next, run the program that I provided in the link to completely remove all traces of the old drivers.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4266-driver-sweeper.html

4. Once that is done you'll be asked to restart your system. After restart, launch the new driver install and follow the instructions.
5. After that is completed, you will have a clean install of the new drivers.
6. If all went well, go to the catalyst control center and there you will find the options for anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering and a whole bunch more stuff to tweak your card.
7. If this still doesn't work then obviously something else is going on in your system configuration that is causing your issues.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Offline m4ccy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
Thanks matey, will give this a try when my windows updates have finished ;)

Offline m4ccy

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
Ok I tried your method, I am confident it scrapped a bunch of old useless files.
However the ultimate solution i had to resolve to was removing all the ati assembly keys from windows/assembly then reinstalling drivers I finally got the cat back online ! added with all my aa and af settings etc, thanks a lot guys ! ;)

EDIT: I found the driver cleaner most useful, thatnks for that moed ;)