Author Topic: My Two Choices  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
My Two Choices
« on: February 12, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
I want to make another ship for BC, although I am just bollocks at HPs.  So I'll make the ship and all the textures and everything, but I will need some help to get it into BC.  If no one volunteers I might make a stab at it, but I would much rather have someone else work on it.

Anyway, the two ships I have narrowed it down to are attached.  These are both fan-designed, and are already 3D high-quality models, but are just too poly-heavy to go into the game.  So I'm rendering some orthos and redoing them.  Obviously I will be trying to acquire permissions from the authors, but I can't seem any harm in starting them.  But I SWEAR (Farshot!) I won't release without permission. ;)

The first ship is the Decatur.  She's got some exotic lines that I've never seen on a TMP ship really, but that's about all that I can discern that's unique about her.

Second ship is the Magellan.  I really like this one, mainly for the interesting rear hull assembly and the landing struts (although those would obviously be useless to the BC community).  I'd like to think this one has a few interesting things going on with it in some way.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
Re: My Two Choices
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
I much prefer the look of the Magellan.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
I want to make another ship for BC, although I am just bollocks at HPs.  So I'll make the ship and all the textures and everything, but I will need some help to get it into BC.  If no one volunteers I might make a stab at it, but I would much rather have someone else work on it.

I can HP it for ya NP. just tell the era.

EDIT: forgot to say, limit sizes of the textures to 1024ish [If you choose to allow me to HP]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »
First one looks the best.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 05:37:52 PM »
I prefer the Decatur, except for where he put the deflector.  Not sure what that little stab at me was about.  If it has to do with BDFD, it's not because he ports stuff with or without permission, its that he's so disrespectful of the modder community that he only started asking to cover his ass.  He doesn't own up to anything.

Offline Locke

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »
Not sure what that little stab at me was about.

I'm just messin with you.  I have very little respect for anyone that pilfers other authors' works and claims that they're his own.  There's really no legal ramifications (except in the case of a payware product), but it's just downright disrespectful and ungentlemanly.

Anyway, it so far looks like the Magellan is winning.  I'll wait another day or two to get any other opinions.

Offline Killallewoks

• RNR
  • Cookies: 175
  • Innuendo implier extordanaire.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
I really like the Decator, it looks like a TOS upgrade of the Yorktown. Which i'm all for.  :D

Offline Eloi

• Cookies: 67
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:20:06 PM »
Locke, I'd be happy to Skype with you and teach you how to HP the ship when it's done.
USS Scott download - http://bit.ly/Y4pmbR

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 08:42:01 PM »
Locke, I'd be happy to Skype with you and teach you how to HP the ship when it's done.

is that offer open to others as well, as its somthing i would love to learn

Offline Locke

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »

Not really possible, since I don't have BC installed and I don't have my installation disk with me.  Moving's a b!7ch.  But soon!

At any rate, I'm about ready to call this one.  But there's only one problem: I can't find enough phaser emplacements, and I have no idea where there would be torpedo tubes!  If anyone can see them on the renders, please point them out.

Offline Eloi

• Cookies: 67
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
is that offer open to others as well, as its somthing i would love to learn

Sure!
USS Scott download - http://bit.ly/Y4pmbR

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »
weapon placements i see for the magellan are the domes with the red bits ( the dorsal on seems to be in the place the bridge is normally ) and a phaser on the forward curve of the saucer and 2 more either side of the aft spine on the nacelles.

those domes i mentioned seem like torpedo turrets pointing in all four directions.... broad side attack any one :)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Locke

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »
weapon placements i see for the magellan are the domes with the red bits ( the dorsal on seems to be in the place the bridge is normally ) and a phaser on the forward curve of the saucer and 2 more either side of the aft spine on the nacelles.

those domes i mentioned seem like torpedo turrets pointing in all four directions.... broad side attack any one :)

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to as well.  Although I've run into a bit of an issue: I can't find the place where I downloaded it, and I don't have any documentation about it.  I think I might have to reconsider this, unless anyone can think of a solution of any kind.  I already checked TurboSquid and SciFi Meshes.  No dice.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 02:05:06 AM »
Trekmeshes.ch

Offline 007bashir

• Cookies: 111
  • Android User/Screenshooter/Sci-Fi Rendering
    • http://007bashir.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:06:46 AM »
Maybe that can help as well

Offline Locke

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »
Haha! :yay:  Thanks, guys!  Both of those were helpful.  The vid confirmed both the location of the weapons as well as the length, and I immediately found the mesh over on Trek Meshes.  I'd lost that link when I had to reinstall Windows.  Thank you, again. :thumbsup:

Sending off the email now!

Although I would like to point out that the poll is still open, and it looks as though the Decatur might be catching up.  If it doesn't overtake the Magellan, I'll make the Decatur after I'm done.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 04:12:00 AM »
Just what I was hoping for. :D

Offline starship

• Cookies: 6
    • Brasil Starships
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »
Maybe that can help as well

Sadly, Steve never finished that refit. In fact, it's more than two years since I heared the last news from him.  :(
Anyway, the V1 of the Magelan is still available for download in sites like Trekmeshes, so, you can use it as a placeholder when building the mod. ;)

Offline Locke

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »
So I went on an unintentional hiatus from the project, since my desktop decided to stop connecting to the internet for no goddamn reason.  But now I have a new laptop, and the project should be commencing again soon!  No new updates, but I was hesitant to proceed in case I couldn't get permission to do so.  Would it be inappropriate to proceed without permission, if I can't get in contact with the original author?  I sent him an email a few weeks ago, and I never heard back. :idk:

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2013, 07:18:30 AM »
I'd say if you can't contact him whatsoever and there is no 'ReadMe'/whatever -file with the original mesh stating otherwise; Giving Credit to the original designer should be enough.
That is of course, only my opinion.