Author Topic: 'Shimmering' textures at a distance  (Read 490 times)

Offline Lord Tribble

• Cookies: 2
'Shimmering' textures at a distance
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:38 PM »
When a ship has been damaged (even slightly) and has moved a distance away from me, the textures on sizeable areas of the ship 'shimmer'. They're either shimmering black or with the damage textures, but I can't really tell because it's too far away.

The BC gfx settings give me multiple options for display device; 'Nvidia geforce gtx 260' and 'T&L Nvidia geforce gtx 260' (I use 'T&L Nvidia geforce gtx 260' because it runs smoother). If I swap from one to the other and back again while in-game, the shimmering goes away. But it returns the next time I run BC.

I've checked on a fresh KM install (with the same 'T&L Nvidia geforce gtx 260' selected for display device) and the problem is not happening there, so I can only imagine there's something wrong with the install rather than a hardware problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: 'Shimmering' textures at a distance
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
T&L was made for ATI cards... if you want the game to use the overrides in your gfx panel use the non T&L option
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
T&L was made for ATI cards... if you want the game to use the overrides in your gfx panel use the non T&L option

The nvidia control panel overrides do effect it when using the t&l version, and the frame-rate drops massively on the other option. :idk:
Plus I just tested, BC is setting itself back to T&L every time I run it.

I don't think it's the T&L thing causing the problems, my KM install uses it as well and has no shimmering

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
when ever I used T&L non of my AA or AF options took affect in game.

Your frame-rate drops because I bet you are using a very high AA setting
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:27:11 PM »
when ever I used T&L non of my AA or AF options took affect in game.

Your frame-rate drops because I bet you are using a very high AA setting

Nope, turned all the overrides off when testing it

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »
Upon further testing it seems that the KM install does suffer the same issue, but the start up option '3rd era jaggy fix' prevents it from happening. What it's actually doing to fix it I don't know.
I'm trying to add it to the problem install but am faltering on adding the seemingly required 'unified main menu' mod; it stops any of the game buttons from working  :idk:

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
Upon further testing it seems that the KM install does suffer the same issue, but the start up option '3rd era jaggy fix' prevents it from happening.
Aah, so that is the purpose of this file.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:13:56 AM »
Upon reading threads that have suggested BC should be installed somewhere other than in the default C:/program files etc for windows 7, I have completely uninstalled and re-installed BC to C:/Games and copied over my custom install to that location (I hadn't done it previously as I never had any problems in the default location). That didn't solve the anything itself, but I was able to install Unified main menu without the menu buttons ceasing to work, and have also managed to transplant the 'jaggie fix' from the KM files...

No More Shimmering!  :dance

I'm still not sure what started it in the first place, but I am beginning to wonder if it may be a result of a recent Nvidia graphics driver update.

Though at this point I'm beginning to feel like my custom install is on life support and being held together with sticky tape (been cobbeling it together and messing with it for years). Maybe It's time I start fresh with an install of KM