Author Topic: Resolving BC Install Memory/RAM Usage  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
Resolving BC Install Memory/RAM Usage
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
One of the reasons, My 56 GB install is a Memory Hog!

That being said, last Fall, One of my gaming buds in the Sims community suggested that I try this out...

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

At first I was hesitant, but after a lot of Goggle searching, the patch that was released last year seem legit. From what I understand, this patch makes a virtual 4 GB of RAM, accessible to any selected .exe extension of a given game. Then makes a back up of your original. I tried it out on my BC install- now it runs like a dream, even with DS9FX Extended, Galaxy Charts v2 and high poly models!

I was able to play in my modded install for nearly an hour, before crashing back to desktop! :P

A quoted by the NTCore author on his site....

"On x64 these two other GB can now be accessed by 32bit applications. In order to achieve this, a flag has to be set in the file's internal format. This is, of course, very easy for insiders who do it every day with the CFF Explorer. This tool was written because not everybody is an insider, and most probably a lot of people don't even know that this can be achieved. Even I wouldn't have written this tool if someone didn't explicitly ask me to."

Yes, this version works for 32 bit windows on my PC, and it works very well! I did some research online and in various gaming communities, and the reviews were positive, that the patch worked on both 64 bit and 32 bit. That was my biggest concerns, I know Microsoft saves that reserve RAM for updating Windows. From what I've read during my research, this is not a permanent change to Window's registry.

Yes, I did a lot of research, goggled any gaming forums chatting about the patch, from people using it. The 4 GB boost is used only while your using the modified game .exe. Also you can always revert back, the patch makes a back up of the original game .exe. This patch has been out since last summer, and I could not find any negative postings about any mishaps.

I really make a point to keep my PC in working order (getting rid of junk registry files and such)
So far, ** fingers crossed ** my 32 bit Windows Vista has not imploded! :eek

I've tried the patch on my Bridge Commander, Freelancer & Homeworld 2 installs, and they ran very smoothly. The ultimate test, playing the BC install with both DS9fx X and GC v.2 for nearly and hour. Now, I can also record ingame play, and make 1080p vids, without blowing up my PC.

I though it would be cool to share this info about the patch.  :thumbsup:

BR32

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
Re: Resolving BC Install Memory/RAM Usage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
this is quite a convienent timing... as i just dropped the 40$ for another 4gigs of ram for the laptop!
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:24 PM »
That only extends the virtual address space for it. And it isn't intended for machines with less than 4gigs of physical RAM, I must stress that. I've been aware of this fix for quite a while now. There's a separate fix for 32bit machines that have 3gig of physical RAM onboard too.
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:36:03 PM »
I've just tried it out myself and it does make my BC install run much smoother. Thanks for posting this. :)
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline DMWalsh79

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
Sorry about resurrecting but... Where would we find the patch for 3gig machines?
"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, And say my glory was I had such friends" W.B. Yeats

"When one is dealing with monsters, He must take care not to become one himself" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
Sorry about resurrecting but... Where would we find the patch for 3gig machines?

From what I know, the Author made this for a friend's request, it wasn't his intent to make variations. But his contact/email is available on the original post/link. This was made about 6 years ago, so I don't know if his contact info is still current.

BR32

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline DMWalsh79

• Cookies: 8
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:24:45 AM »
Thanks BlackRock.  Appreciate the information!
"Think where man's glory most begins and ends, And say my glory was I had such friends" W.B. Yeats

"When one is dealing with monsters, He must take care not to become one himself" - Friedrich Nietzsche