Author Topic: Bombings in Boston  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
RE: Bombings in Boston
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
 :banghead:
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »
crazy scary shit...  Boston is just less than an hour drive from my city of Providence, RI...
a 3rd explosion occurred at JFK Library...
i have alot of friends that live in downtown Boston, im there in that city many times a month...

as of now, all cellphone service has been shut down in Boston to prevent remote detonations of explosives and Logan Airport has shut down until further notice...

some of the first photos from the scene -
*****WARNING - SOME OF THESE ARE EXTREMELY GRAPHIC*****
view at your own risk!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/first-photos-from-the-scene-of-the-boston-marathon-explosion

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 05:14:47 PM »
Question is, was this the work of terrorists, or some "mad bomber" ? My heart goes out to the families and friends of the deceased :(
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
My condolences

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 06:34:14 PM »
ATTENTION.
If you need info about friends or family you know were at the marathon, or you have info about someone who was there at the time use this resource that google has provided.

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

I got this from George Takei.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
Re: Bombings in Boston
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 07:26:52 PM »
didn't take long from these lunatics to notice.  :facepalm:

Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »

Why must all these terrible tragedies be "an act of God" ? There's someone "downstairs" as well, ya know? Or so they say :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »
Someone should set a bomb off there....see if they feel it's an act of God then...dumbasses!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 09:16:21 PM »
I'm angry and sickened by the reactions - especially so as Boston is only an hour away from me, close to home. The Islamophobes are taking the opportunity to yell "terrorists". The Tea Party nuts are screaming about government conspiracy, how the bombings will be blamed on them. Uppity bitch at the Washington Post decides to snark at a colleague who dismissed this Pennsylvania doctor's trial (illegal abortions, if I heard right) as a "local crime story" - by dismissing the bombings in Boston as such. And now this shit from that withered hatemonger Phelps and his brood.

Where is the sympathy for the victims, God damn it?!
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 11:36:55 PM »
I have only JUST learned about this at the second I'm posting it

but here's what I say.

of COURSE people are gonna react exactly the way they did...that is the current attitude

of course someone's gonna think Islamic terrorists

of course someone's gonna dismiss it as local

of course tea baggers are gonna call conspiracy theory

AND of course those moron westies are gonna jump on the oppurtunity.

yeesh, what do you people expect?  this is AMERICANS were talking about, here.  being paranoid reactionaries is in American's blood!

we will see in coming days what the hell is going on.  in the meantime, what I would do is wait and find out EXACTLY what happened first while taking care of the business of helping the victims.

why is anybody surprised or astounded at ANY of this?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 11:57:45 PM »
I have only JUST learned about this at the second I'm posting it

but here's what I say.

of COURSE people are gonna react exactly the way they did...that is the current attitude

of course someone's gonna think Islamic terrorists

of course someone's gonna dismiss it as local

of course tea baggers are gonna call conspiracy theory

AND of course those moron westies are gonna jump on the oppurtunity.

yeesh, what do you people expect?  this is AMERICANS were talking about, here.  being paranoid reactionaries is in American's blood!

we will see in coming days what the hell is going on.  in the meantime, what I would do is wait and find out EXACTLY what happened first while taking care of the business of helping the victims.

why is anybody surprised or astounded at ANY of this?

I agree with that...however, as one of those paranoid americans, I'm just apalled by the actions and reactions people have been taking.  Why can't people just be kind and considerate of others feelings.  At least 2 people left families behind in this tragedy, and those people need our strength in their time of need, no matter what religion, no matter what race, people should come together and help!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 11:59:40 PM »
I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that if it involved Hollywood celebrities in New York or LA or something, the whole world would be outraged. But no, it's just "regular people" in BOSTON. Who gives a shit about Boston, right?

You'll forgive me if I'm not choosing to be dismissive, given that this is practically in my backyard...
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 12:40:28 AM »
3 dead, 144 wounded and in hospital, and if memory serves, 8 of them critical. Multiple amputations due to shattered lower extremities.  :eek :(
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49:21 AM »
I agree with that...however, as one of those paranoid Americans, I'm just apalled by the actions and reactions people have been taking.  Why can't people just be kind and considerate of others feelings.  At least 2 people left families behind in this tragedy, and those people need our strength in their time of need, no matter what religion, no matter what race, people should come together and help!

apparently, it's three deaths, now.  could someone fact check this, please?

but this is how things work, nowadays.  asshats taking advantage of the situation, included.

I can guaran-goddamn-tee you that if it involved Hollywood celebrities in New York or LA or something, the whole world would be outraged. But no, it's just "regular people" in BOSTON. Who gives a shit about Boston, right?

You'll forgive me if I'm not choosing to be dismissive, given that this is practically in my backyard...

that's what SOME people said about September 11th, remember?  then the american reaction of what was basically 'we're gonna put a @$&*boot in their ass' ticked off a lot of people.  america was in a state of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" at the time.

Boston has been the focus of several TV shows, lately.  even an internet service for TV shows has been given a "wicked" flavor through commercials.  don't tell ME Boston isn't getting some attention lately.  some people DO give a crap, you know...considering Boston is one of the oldest non native american communities in this country.

I've been seeing support pop up all over.  and you know as well as I do there's going to be a huge swell of Love and Support for the city and the victims.  it's just the "vocal Minority" is what gets noticed.  look up the trope.  I know a lot of subcultures know exactly what I'm talking about, and I'm a member of 3 of them.

of course you're not gonna ignore an event right in your backyard.  but right now, everyone is blaming everyone else for allowing it to happen.

my sugestion for the westies? ride them out of town on a rail.  it's gonna take a sizable thump on the head for some people to get the message.  at the least, you can literally ignore them and walk away to the point of not recognizing they exist.  when it gets to the point that even a Hate mongering group calls the WBC out for asshattery, well...
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »

This!

apparently, it's three deaths, now.  could someone fact check this, please?

News over here (Germany) reported 3 deaths; I really hope that won't get any-more and that the other injured get better soon.

What's that supposed to mean?
From my understanding the general reaction (from people I know as well as governments) is pretty much the same as with most other bombings.
(as for me: I usually don't care about Boston; you are right. But that holds true for (pretty much) any city in the US anywhere.)

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
What's that supposed to mean?
From my understanding the general reaction (from people I know as well as governments) is pretty much the same as with most other bombings.
(as for me: I usually don't care about Boston; you are right. But that holds true for (pretty much) any city in the US anywhere.)
first, you've just been introduced to the "pearl harbor" factor...something that probably hasn't been seen since that day.  that's the "that's enough" factor  ask the Japanese what happens when an american says 'that's Enough'
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 11:37:21 AM »
Raw Videos of the Boston Marathon Explosions

Photos From The Boston Marathon Bombing

as of right now, including an 8 year old boy; and 176 Injured, with 25 - 30 people all having lost one leg...

this is a pic of the 8 year old boy, Martin Richard, that was killed...   :cry:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/boy-killed-marathon-terror-attack-id-martin-richard-article-1.1317909

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
May we all truly strive for peace.

And may we pray in our own ways for the families of those that suffered losses in this horrible event.