Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 788 times)

Offline Cube

• Cookies: 5
    • DJcube
Defiance
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:47 AM »
Has anyone been watching this?

Two episodes in and I'm hooked (though not enough for the MMO). The setting seems wonderful, and I like the characters. It may borrow heavily from a lot of other Sci-Fi shows (and other stuff, like Fallout), but I think the mixture of it all makes it good enough to stand on.

If Season 1 carries on like it is I think it could end up being a brilliant franchise.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Defiance
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »
Meh, it's Eureka mixed with Fallout and BSG.  It has yet to show me anything special, but I shall watch it since it's the only sci-fi on TV right now...
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:09:05 AM »
same here....

I felt it more like Mal Reynolds crashlands on Babylon 5 when he finds a plot to let the Borg in.

:hithead:

I do hope they show a deeper story for each alien race... since it's only beginning I think they're leaving it to the audience to decide if they want that huge amount of facts that is the development of an alien race.
OR, it could be they don't know s**t about writing an alien background story.

the FX is passable... not too heavy, not too obvious...
they could use better physics simulation tho... but the city looks well crafted, even though it's obvious CGI, I couldn't find the gap between the actual set and the CGI.
but the same goes for the FX as it went for the story: too much effort on showing the devastated world instead of focusing in the story.
Falling skies and TWD didn't have that problem... they didn't show any big shots that couldn't be done by several takes of isolated places, without turning to full CGI.

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 08:28:50 AM »
I've been watching it since the start and think it's pretty good to be honest.   :thumbsup:

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:05:10 AM »
just seen episode 7..... I could swear I've spotted Mark Sheppard sitting at the bar, taking a sip as the camera passed by....

it's just a split second... but it looked an awful lot like him

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:08:23 PM »
Just finished watching last episode and I'm really really glad Sci-fi renewed for season 2 :) It's good to see some really decent show, characters grew on me as I watched it ;)
Bear Mccreary did great as usual with OST.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:30:44 PM »
I lost interest I think an episode after the plague one.  I found Defiance increasingly boring and almost offensively predictable.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
It might be cartoony-predictable but still it's one of the few sci-fi shows up to date and it's a decent one ;) I'm not saying it's BSG grade but still it's better than low-budget shows like Earth Final Conflict or Sliders (both comes from mid 90's) and it's definitely better than Caprica or Blood & Chrome IMHO

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
it's on the tipping point... they finally seem to have grasped their major plot line, and they're about to actually start developing it... they have the first episode of season 2 to produce good material, or they're gone... plain and simple.

still a few production issues which should have been worked out by now (make-up, language, props, etc), but which are not that severe to the story.

my evaluation:
Irisa being some kind of messiah?.... risky, but could turn into a good story. They better give her some kind of overwhelming power, so that she has to struggle with it.
Irisa and Tommy?... looked more like a last-minute resource... they can dump it without further development, and it's not gonna be that big a loss.
Stahma and Kenya?... duh... don't get me started... very overused resource, very badly developed, and increadibly awfully badly acted.
Datak in politics?... can turn into a big plot (like Baltar taking over New Caprica) if they do it right.
Yewll as a war criminal? ... could go either way... people are sensitive about the theme, but it could be a great plot if there's some justification behind it, like the Datak plot.
Alak and Christie?... I'd love to see how that develops, mainly because of Graham Greene's bad-assery when putting Alak on his tracks. It can turn into a big familiar conflict all around.
Sukar as a prophet/redeemer/messiah?... another badly developed resource... you're not a big chieftain only because you're muscular... he's lacking some serious tribal knowledge and behavior... then again, it's not the actor's fault.
and finally... where are the Volge?... they totally dumped them after the pilot... all we know about them is they're some kind of mechanized race. They could have put them into the plot the way the Cylons/Borg are put into BSG/ST, but they just dumped them in favor of more L-word :P