Author Topic: Is the AI really this bad with torpedoes?  (Read 330 times)

Offline MSB3000

• Cookies: 0
Is the AI really this bad with torpedoes?
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:06 PM »
I hope this isn't an ignorant question, I did some searches beforehand, but it's really annoying when the AI never lands any torpedo hits. Battles are just boring. Switching the "Slow weapon (AI needs to aim)" checkbox in the ship's hardpoints seems to do nothing. Is there any way to make the AI more accurate with torpedoes?

For example, if I battle a Galaxy, it'll start unloading its torpedoes as soon as BC will let it, and they'll just fly off into space, nowhere near my ship.

Important note: I've changed every torpedo in my BC install to be rather fast and with little tracking, and I'm fairly certain this is most of the problem. Specifically, is there anything I can change in the AI files to try and compensate for this? If it were firing the stock BC torpedoes, a few of them would probably hit.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
Re: Is the AI really this bad with torpedoes?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »
to the AI torps are fire and forget.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 05:54:41 PM »
I think the smartest the AI gets is with the scripts for torpedoes in the Delta Quadrant pack addon.  there's a complicated AI script addon in there for the Borg ships for all three types of weapons.  if My comp was still running, I'd go ahead and post a couple hints from it.  if we could get a note from the guys that put it together...
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
there have been some attempts at improving the AI (ds9fx?), but modifying the stock AI and replacing it with a new one would be a tedious job.

there is no practical tool to do it, otherwise it would be done already.

Offline MSB3000

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into those things.