Author Topic: FTech Regenerative shields  (Read 717 times)

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
FTech Regenerative shields
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
As opposed to recurrecting an older thread about Ftech, I thought I'd ask this simple question in a new topic.

When I give a ship regenerative shields using foundations tech, what does the number value mean (Im using BCUT to edit the plugin)? When I read the pdf file explaining the tech, I got confused with what the numbers meant.

For example: I put down regen shields tech number as 10. What does that do for my shields? Does it take 10% of the damage done by the weapon and recharge my shield by that value?

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: FTech Regenerative shields
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
i think it works like this:

the value divides the damage done to the shield vector.

eg: if you have the value as 10 and you take 20 damage your other shield vectors are regenerated by 2 points.

the term "regenerative shields" in FTech always bugged me due to the fact it actually works as an "absorptive shields" ie absorbs damage to bolster the other shields.

if you want to use regenerative shields then just use the normal regenerative values you can set for your shields in the hp file. i tend to use 50 as the value for true regenerative shields as it seems its 50% regeneration.
(don't quote me on the last been a while since i worked on hp's with shields lol)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Anew9

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
i think it works like this:

the value divides the damage done to the shield vector.

eg: if you have the value as 10 and you take 20 damage your other shield vectors are regenerated by 2 points.

the term "regenerative shields" in FTech always bugged me due to the fact it actually works as an "absorptive shields" ie absorbs damage to bolster the other shields.

if you want to use regenerative shields then just use the normal regenerative values you can set for your shields in the hp file. i tend to use 50 as the value for true regenerative shields as it seems its 50% regeneration.
(don't quote me on the last been a while since i worked on hp's with shields lol)

So if I put 10 down, its %10 of what damage I took at that vector given to the other shield vectors? Cool.

I don't understand your 2nd point. Are you stating that you put a value of 50 in the tech number which translates into taking 50% of the damage to one vector and giving it to the other vectors? That would make your ship almost invincible! All you need to do is let one vector take the brunt of the weapon fire and you can regen your other vectors super fast.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
2nd point:

sorry i wasnt clear lol... Researching now lol

right i was way off lol:
the way it works in the normal hp (not talking ftech here) is that each shield vector has a recharge rate. that recharge setting is how many points are recharged per second. so when i said it was 50% i meant 50 points per sec. sorry.

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 05:10:13 AM »
you take [health - damage + (damage / regen)] points for the shield hit, and (damage / regen) points for the rest of the shields.

that means..... if you are hit by 2000 dmg on a 2000 strength shield, with 2000 regen value,... you lose 2000 dmg and regain 1 point for every other shield? doesn't seem right
I mean, if you're hit by 2000 dmg on a 2000 str shield, you still lose 2000 points wether or not you have regenerative shields.

:lostit:

(just checked the code, and there's no % calculation there.... only damage / value... weird, since dmg/V with V=0 would be infinite...)

Offline hobbs

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:06 AM »
this is the info i have.

from MPE (model property editor) this is the actual normal non-FTech shield regeneration:

Shield system: this protects a ship from damage.

Glow color: this is the color that the shields glow when they are hit by weapons fire. Clicking Pick Color will bring up a standard color selector for you to make your choice.
    Glow decay time: unused.
    Shield strength: Here you specify the amount of damage points each shield can take when fully charged.
    Charge rate: this is the amount of points that will be restored per second to this shield, if the system is powered at 100%.

this is from the FTech documentation for the FTech "regenerative shields"

7.3 Regenerative Shielding
Regenerative Shielding sends some of the damage done to your shields back into your shields. So it uses part of the damage to reinforce it self.
The Regenerative Shielding Technology Name is: ?Regenerative Shields?.
The configuration is a number of which the damage done to the shield is divided by (so don?t make it 0).
Your dTechs key for this tech could be like this: ?Regenerative Shields?: 10,

the way i read this is the "damage done to the shield is divided by the configuration number, in this case 10 so 2000 [damage done to front shields] / 10 [configuration number] = 200 damage done to front shield and 200 recharged to other vectors"