Author Topic: Halo Ships Forge 2.0  (Read 676 times)

Offline AllotoniFan

• Cookies: 8
Halo Ships Forge 2.0
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
I Am Back! And to give a hand to the admins i?ve decided not to make necroposting and created a new thread for the Halo Universe ships.
Starting with the Halo 3/Reach Charon-class Frigate.

Polycount still very low, at nice 560 polys...target is 8k to 10k without much detailing or 10k to 20k with a lot of detaling.
After watching FROZEN for the first time: Huge Feels
After watching FROZEN for the thousandth time: Huge Feels

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
Re: Halo Ships Forge 2.0
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
target is 8k to 10k without much detailing or 10k to 20k with a lot of detaling.
Go for a target around 15-20k. Today, meshes for BC tend to be in this amount of polies. Unless you are able to fake a lot of detailing in the textures.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline AllotoniFan

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:20:11 AM »
I don?t have alot experience with texturing, despite having made personal texture mods for Skyrim, guess 15k to 20k it is then...

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
Wiley has a point.  even my senile old built-in graphics card could handle up to 45-50k polies as long as the texture resolution wasn't too high.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »
Wiley has a point.  even my senile old built-in graphics card could handle up to 45-50k polies as long as the texture resolution wasn't too high.

Hey KCS, what are your system specs, I might just have something that would most likely greatly improve the graphics on your PC.

Apologies in advance for the slight divergence of the thread subject.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »

textures is the main chokepoint for graphic cards.... specially since this game processes TGAs which have 4 channels per pixel (5 if you count speculars)

I ran BC on an old 8Mb Diamond card, one of the early designs for the PCI bus, back when it was first introduced..... it rendered the geometry, but not the alpha channels... torpedoes and phasers appeared only as a coloured square lol

Offline AllotoniFan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
Small Update: Started the bottom part and added tiny details to the upper part.....i think i can get this finished by end of the week.

Offline AllotoniFan

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
More detail added, this time it?s the escape pods and few other parts...poly count maintaining itself around 4800 polys

Offline AllotoniFan

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
Pods done, though there are a couple of maintenance doors to do. Finished doing basic body on the Cargo Bay, with initial detail added, more to come.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:35:08 PM »
Looking good so far.  It feels to me like it leans more towards the Paris-class(Reach version).
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.