Author Topic: Disabling power on ships?  (Read 395 times)

Offline tannerwaterbury

• Cookies: 0
Disabling power on ships?
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make it where when a ship is damaged severely enough, the power is no longer functioning. I just was thinking about certain episodes of the various series and the movies, and I;ve noticed that in QB, when you attack a certain vital point, like a nacelle or deflector dish, the power is still flowing through without any fluctuations. Anyone know if there has been an attempt at getting these effects without dissecting the ship?

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
Re: Disabling power on ships?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:38:11 AM »
the closest they've got right now is lights flickering from damage and the occasional torpedo that can temporarily knock out subsystems like impulse engines.  Bridge Commander was created almost 15 years and four versions of windows ago.  what's possible in todays games was not possible when BC was created.

I believe Excalibur is working on something like this, though.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
Bridge Commander was created almost 15 years and four versions of windows ago. 
well, almost lol
11 years ago and 3 windows OS's lol
but yeah, quite a long time ago...

Offline tannerwaterbury

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
the closest they've got right now is lights flickering from damage and the occasional torpedo that can temporarily knock out subsystems like impulse engines.  Bridge Commander was created almost 15 years and four versions of windows ago.  what's possible in todays games was not possible when BC was created.

I believe Excalibur is working on something like this, though.

Right, but I'm speaking on mods that made it possible to disable power for Silent Mode. I know that when you damage the ship enough with KM, you get a shipwide flicker effect, however I was wondering if anyone has taken that model, and made a modification that affected a directly hit subsystem, not the whole ship.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
there's a silent running mod in Kobayashi Maru, I think, if that's what your looking for.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet