Author Topic: BCC Posting Trend  (Read 873 times)

Offline Eloi

• Cookies: 67
BCC Posting Trend
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
Just out of curiosity, I used the available statistics to create the following graph to represent the posting trend here at BCC.

2463 has been the average number of posts per month since the second month of BCC's existence.  Sadly we are only trending around half that number of posts per month recently.  :(

On the bright side, however, the stats seem to bear out that BCC's rate of posting has been fairly stable with only a slow decline over the last two years.  That's good news!  :yay:

Below are the stats for new topic creation.  That has definitely been in decline, but there is probably a correlation to the creation of "super topics" in the modding forum that cover all of a modders creations as opposed to a new thread for each one.

The average number of new topics per month over the lifetime of BCC has been 110, which we are currently trending well below half of.

USS Scott download - http://bit.ly/Y4pmbR

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
Re: BCC Posting Trend
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
Keep in mind, most of the these people have moved on with life or moved on to Excalibur. Only a handful of the original people visit this forum frequently. According to your chart, BC-Central is slowing down, and I agree. Productivity slows during school months, picks up during the summer and winter.

BC Technical Support also adds to the topic creation. Most issues are discussed and quickly fixed with excellent customer service.

Bridge Commander is over 10 years old, and many (including me) are surprised that it has lasted this long. Computers keep on changing, and soon BC will not be able to run on these machines.

Over the last 6 years(I think it is 6) I have been modding BC, I have taught myself 3ds Max, gained new friends, and created a website to showcase my work. BCC has become a place not only to build scifi ships, but a place to learn the tools of the trade.

Whenever BCC dies off, another will start up, and many of the same people will join (Excalibur?).
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »
If you think BCC is dead dynaverse is worse. I hope we keep going. :-/

Adam

Offline Eloi

• Cookies: 67
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:16:34 PM »
Purely academic, gentlemen.  In fact, I think the most critical thing show is the long-term stabilization of the posting rate.  It bodes pretty well for BCC, despite being lower than BCC at its prime.
USS Scott download - http://bit.ly/Y4pmbR

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:42:49 PM »
the fact that BC modding still thrives - alone, is amazing...
many many times throughout the last decade did we all think "ok this is the year BC will die" and it didnt...  we're all still here :)
some of us have been around when BC modding was in its prime (2003 - 2006ish - i wish a graph could have been made of those days, it was waaaaay much more active than BCC's best) and none of us ever thought it would last this long, to this day still - and yet it does...
personally, i didnt think we would need icons for peoples sigs for Modder of the Month Award for 2013...
about 100ish patrons log in each day and still many active modders keep this all alive - that says something :)

most def, when Excal takes off (very soon) the community will naturally migrate there - and that community will be ten thousand times more active and slamming than BC ever was in it's prime, i have no doubt :)
get ready for that guys - im personally very excited for those days upcoming ;)

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:36 PM »
Me too. It'll be great!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »
and that's why it just doesn't make me sad that BC is slowly coming to it's end, it's been 10 years, most games communities that started off at the same time are long gone ;) Indeed it's amazing that we're still here :D

I really can't wait for Excalibur, certainly I'll try to contribute to it just as i did to BC ;) 

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 06:05:27 AM »
I like to Echo Wiley. When I started here in late 2008 I knew barely how to animate a ship in Max, let alone buid one.

But with the likes of Wiley, MarkyD, DJ Curtis and many others with each ship the skill improved. Other than Youtube videos BC had been my 3D school. And my personal thoughts on why this place is still going is with the exeption of the rare spat this place is very friendly and the guys when developed the add ons backin the day made it easy to learn and achive good results with little previous.

Hell I have tried to mod FSX and had no luck at all and thier forums are not as helpful as here. Long live BCC.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:59:47 AM »
Interesting statistics, though people have made some good points as to why they look that way.

Hopefully, BCC shall still be around when Excal comes out and even after BC can no longer play on newer machines. It wouldn't be bad if it just became a place to model ships etc and show them off and generally turn it into a learning community.

Besides, BC shall no doubt come back. Of all the Star Trek games, it's one of the most popular and probably the best. Old Nintendo games have come back thanks to emulators, the same could well happen with BC.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 04:35:34 AM »
Couldn't have put what Baz and Wiley said better  :thumbsup:

Offline CyAn1d3

• MacDill Shipyards Design Team
  • Cookies: 420
  • RETIRED
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
I love it here. It was a bit saddening (to me at least :P) when i finally put my foot down, and decided to STOP modding for BC.
i wasnt here long in comparison to others (i think i started late 07') and when i started i BARELY knew the basics of modeling.. hell i didnt even know how to UVW Unwrap a ruddy model when i came here!!

Between DJ, Adonis, and a few others around here i learned WAAAY more than my college EVER did teach me.
now i started building my own game from scratch, and had it not been for this community, i can tell you 100% that dream would have been left dead at my old college campus.

Excal is coming, and like jimmy said, and i agree, the community will EXPLODE on that day.
I came, i saw, i added a Sig.
Later gents, i have Youtube to take over.
Cy - 1-12-15