Author Topic: Removing the shield bubble?  (Read 978 times)

Offline Lord Tribble

• Cookies: 2
Removing the shield bubble?
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »
I've noticed that on ships such as the NX class, wileys kelvin fleet and the xindi insectoid ship that there is no TNG shield bubble. Rather, weapons directly hit the hull but do no damage until the 'shields' are weakened.

I'm trying to replicate this on TMP ships and the NuTrek Enterprise (since those shields are again hull based damage limitation rather than an external bubble), but I'm not sure how it was achieved.

Any ideas folks?

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: Removing the shield bubble?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
im mpe (model property editor) make the shield bubble colour 0, 0, 0, 0 and then make the shield strength 0 and you will get no shield bubble no shield strength to diminish.

if you look at those ships such as the nX01 or my own ship NX266 they are using no shield colours so no bubble and then limited shield strength to simulate "polarised hull plating"

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
So, the strength of the shields determine how close or far away the weapon impacts end?

I don't really want to cripple the shields of the ships.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
are you talking "invisible" sheilds?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 05:39:42 PM »
are you talking "invisible" sheilds?

Sort of. Like how NX ships have 'shields' but weapons directly impact the hull without the bubble effect instead of out in space away from it.

Offline hobbs

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »
So, the strength of the shields determine how close or far away the weapon impacts end?

I don't really want to cripple the shields of the ships.

no i think if you have 0 on the colours for the shield then it has sheilds but not a bubble

damn it i need to test that now lol

Edit: ok i just tested in game and if you have shield strength you have a bubble. im now pretty sure that the bubble is not removable
but you can make it invisible... closest it can get
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 07:50:13 PM »
unfortunately, he's right.  and you can't remove the system from the ship's hardpoint, or it'll crash the whole thing
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 02:27:20 AM »
Still close enough.  Unless you can somehow create a second shield system or something.  This would also be something to do with Star Wars ships.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 03:32:17 AM »
set color, alpha and decay rate to 0

Offline hobbs

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 08:20:01 AM »
set color, alpha and decay rate to 0

lol thats what i said above... it still however leaves a bubble so enemy weapons are impacting an invisible bubble.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »
Still close enough.  Unless you can somehow create a second shield system or something.  This would also be something to do with Star Wars ships.

SW ships are stated to HAVE sheilds (and adjustable facing ones at that), but they're still invisible.  I'm betting there's some strong plasma or a physical element that can at least partially penetrate energy sheilding
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
lol thats what i said above... it still however leaves a bubble so enemy weapons are impacting an invisible bubble.
yes, but depending on the design, it can pass unnoticed
if it's a galaxy class, you will see the hits under the saucer section and above the warp engines,.... but if it's an NX class,... it's barely noticeable.

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 05:35:57 PM »
Yeah, been fiddling around a bit. As Hobbs said; having any shielding creates the bubble. The strength of the shield doesn't seem to effect it's size. I just didn't notice it on the nx before; If hit straight down onto it's dorsal or ventral shield it's very apparent but other directions of attack make it look like it's hitting the hull.

Ah well, thanks guys :)

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:43:16 PM »
Would using something like alblative armour not help and create the effect?

Offline Lord Tribble

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
It might do, Not really sure how to go about adding it though.

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
take a look at the hardpoints for any ship with Ablative (soverigns are your best bet).  if I remember right, Ablative is listed as a hull piece added onto the hardpoint with 6 digit Hit points.
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline hobbs

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
take a look at the hardpoints for any ship with Ablative (soverigns are your best bet).  if I remember right, Ablative is listed as a hull piece added onto the hardpoint with 6 digit Hit points.

what would be good is to have ablative armour but renamed to Hull Plating or something then (if you are like me and pretend you are ON a starship  :doh:) you can look at the damage screen and see what your Hull Plating is.

My shuttles im doing for the contest has no shields and no bubble so all weapons hit the ship directly weapons are low yield and hull is relatively strong... it works ok. but i may look at some armour for the next generation of vessels i produce for my Universe :D

if you have BCUT it has some info in its PDF file about ablative armour.