Author Topic: Job opportunity at Cryptic Studios  (Read 1831 times)

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
  • Cookies: 1219
  • Awesome-sauce factory owner
Re: Job opportunity at Cryptic Studios
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
Not only that, but they asked Gabe, who has been in A LOT more things than I have. Plus, they might only be looking for someone who lives in California.
Please visit my Deviantart page at www.trekmodeler.deviantart.com.

My website is up! Download my ships here: http://www.michaelwileyart.com

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 04:34:39 PM »
question wiley:

would you have done a "star trek old style" ship or a cryptic studios style one?

i ask only because maybe this other chap does those sort already and maybe thats what they want
(note: im not a fan of cryptic's ships style)
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
You have a point wiley, but does he have much experience in making meshes for video games?  It's all well and good being able to make an uber high end mesh, but that does no good for cryptic, who need someone who can make meshes to fit inside a poly budget and make them look good.
As good as Gabes work is, I've never ever seen him do low poly stuff. Ever. *prepares to be proved wrong*.
I miss :bigdance:

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
Not to mention he knew jack about 3ds Max.

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 12:20:48 PM »
would you have done a "star trek old style" ship or a cryptic studios style one?

Good question. Since Star Trek Online takes place in the 25th Century, and the "old style" ships are there to simply please fans, I would create a visually-pleasing cryptic studios ship. It would most likely be a rebuild of the Argonaut, since I was thinking ST:O when designing it.

Plus I'm now doing SOTL. Which would you think is better? You already can play with the ships I have created (plus they look better than Cryptics).

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 12:53:15 PM »
when i said old style... i did not mean the ships that were just to please the fans lol my issue with the cryptic new style was the odd cut outs in the saucers etc... i likes some of the cryptic ships that were like oldstyle ships in the meaning of smooth hulls with out the cutouts.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline WileyCoyote

• The Other Ship Builder
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
I was inspired by the Regent when I built the Polaris. The trick is to balance new design with the old, or you will end up with a design that is out of place.

Offline BarnesSFC

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
Not only that, but they asked Gabe, who has been in A LOT more things than I have. Plus, they might only be looking for someone who lives in California.
Not necessarily - the lead ship artist was shipped out from Texas (?) to California.