Author Topic: Question for anyone familiar with FTech  (Read 1018 times)

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
Question for anyone familiar with FTech
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
FTech can be used to rotate a piece when going to warp (Voyager) or when entering an alert state (red alert BoP wings).

What other functions can be done?  Can a piece be translated (moved XYZ coordinates)?

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
Re: Question for anyone familiar with FTech
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:35 AM »
I think so;
The Delta Flyer from the CGI pack a few years back had something like extending/shifting warp nacelles, which did not rotate (I'm guessing the new one from the DQP also does this).
You might want to take a look at that ship's plugin.

Offline Defiant

• Cookies: 1105
    • BC: Kobayashi Maru
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »
Yes, the movement is a combined rotation+translation.
For that you have to set the Positions (Normal, Warp, Alert) in the plugin file.

Take a look at scripts/Custom/Techs/SubModels.py for a complete setup.

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • Cookies: 211
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
I have a question that has to do with this. Is there a limit as to how many object can be moving at one time with ftech? I always wondered if someone could do a ship that, when you go to red alert, has A: guns emplacements come out, B: the warp engines slightly shift positions, C: The deflector changes a bit, and other things that i can't think of.

I realize for all this to be done, the ship has to have many different models. I was just wondering, if the modder took the time, if it would even be possible.

All I have ever seen done were 2 parts. For voyager, the nacelles, for a Klingon BoP, the wings, and for the Romulan Valdore (i think that's what it's called,) the wings as well. I haven't seen a ship that does multiple things.

I wasn't sure if I should have started a new thread for this question though.

"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline Defiant

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
It is only limited by the cpu Processing power of your system, note that moving a part is a cpu extensive task.

Try to add multiple BoP with Submodels to your Game and see your CPU burn while they all go to red alert.

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:46:58 AM »
That's actually the reason I asked.  A certain ship I'm making was to have extending nacelles, armor panels that slid off of windows, and shuttle bay doors that revealed a large interior bay.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »
That's actually the reason I asked.  A certain ship I'm making was to have extending nacelles, armor panels that slid off of windows, and shuttle bay doors that revealed a large interior bay.
askk Hobbs, he took Ftech in our BOPs, and adapted to one of his , the just extends [no rotation]
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »
yep i did

here is what i changed

Code: [Select]
        "Port Wing":     ["SFRD_FTUssGriffinPort", {
                "Position":             [0, 0, 0],
                "Rotation":             [0, 0, 0], # normal Rotation used if not Red Alert and if not Warp
                "AttackRotation":         [0, 0, 0],
                "AttackDuration":         200.0, # Value is 1/100 of a second
                "AttackPosition":         [0.4, 0.15, 0], <--this is moving the nacelle to the right and slightly forward
                "WarpDuration":       150.0,
                }
        ],

"Star Wing":     ["SFRD_FTUssGriffinStar", {
                "Position":             [0, 0, 0],
                "Rotation":             [0, 0, 0],
                "AttackRotation":         [0, 0, 0],
                "AttackDuration":         200.0, # Value is 1/100 of a second
                "AttackPosition":         [-0.4, 0.15, 0], <--this is moving the nacelle to the left and slightly forward
                "WarpDuration":       150.0,
                }
        ],

if you also look at my Sfrd S.S. Mason you will see that i have done the same with the cannons except they move down
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline newhalo123

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:01:25 PM »
That's actually the reason I asked.  A certain ship I'm making was to have extending nacelles, armor panels that slid off of windows, and shuttle bay doors that revealed a large interior bay.

I wanna see this ship when it's done! It sounds awesome!

It all depends on the CPU power I guess though. I have a 6 core (or is it 8?) i7 cpu, so it shouldn't be a prob for me, but for those that have a cpu that is from years ago, it could be a problem.

I guess you might have to make 2 versions. One without all the moving parts, and one with them. Then, people could still get the ship. (Just with a few less features.) I assume you could still package it with all the models and stuff, just without the ftech script that would make it work. You could package the ship in one zip, then include the ftech script in a separate folder in there as an optional thing. That way, if people think they have a good enough cpu, they can just replace the script with the ftech one.

Anyway, I am glad I asked. Now that you know this, FarShot, you have a decision to make. Do you drop the ftech thing altogether, or do you do the extra work to make 2 versions? It's all up to you. Whatever the outcome, though, I am sure it will be an amazing ship!
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline Defiant

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
BC uses only one CPU.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 05:50:35 AM »
BC uses only one CPU.

one thing i have found is with fTech is that i never found how to make the ship change its Hardpoint file... where as with MVAM which just swaps one model for another (no moving parts) it works fine.
for my USS Griffin i wanted the shield system to be more efficient energy wise when the nacelles are pulled close to the body of the ship, but with fTech it wont change hp's for some reason.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Defiant

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »
Thats because changing Hardpoint doesn't work.
But even without beeing a Technomage you can write a script that can change the power.