Author Topic: Bridge Commander... Or was it?  (Read 594 times)

Offline Leslie Stroobant

• Cookies: 0
Bridge Commander... Or was it?
« on: September 22, 2013, 04:34:10 AM »
First things first: I'm new here... Hello people!

I have a question which may or may not be about bridge commander, so I hope it's in the right section.

A long time ago, I once played a great Star Trek game, or rather a short section of it - possibly a demo.
After forgetting about it for a while, I started searching for it again a few years back.

After a while, I thought I found it: Star Trek Bridge Commander!
It initially looked great: you're in the command seat, and you "go to" different modules like navigation and energy management to do your business.

But the thing is... It's not quite the same...
The navigation module is... simpler.
As I recall it, the module featured a 3D matrix graphic, kind of like the wireframe of a cube.
And then there's the space faring alien...

I recall a specific battle with a kind of living ship, or giant spaceworm - whichever term you prefer.
The combat system was pretty much the same - you lock on to your enemy or specific parts of it.
But the worm was never in the game Bridge commander.

So there, my plea for help.
What game am I remembering? Was it a specific demo mission for BC? Was it a mod with storyline?
A different game alltogether?

Thanks for any and all help!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: Bridge Commander... Or was it?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »
It sounds like Star Trek Starfleet Command (either it was I, II or III), but it also might be Star Trek Klingon Academy ;) check out both titles and see if any of these fits ;)

Also was it more like a shooter / simulator or did you have to steer the ship with mouse clicks ?

oh and welcome to BC Central :)

Offline Leslie Stroobant

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:01:45 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the hints and for the welcome.

As I said, it's been a REALLY long time since I've played that game.
When I started up bridge commander, I could have sworn at first that I found it.
My first guess would be that it wasn't Klingon academy since I was flying a federation ship.

All controls were done with clicks, issueing commands to your officers like in bridge commander.

I'll have a peek to see if I can find some screenshots of the navigation module in starfleet command, I think I should recognise that part.

I have very little to go on, except the spacefaring creature, the fact that the navigation betwee star systems was more complex than in BC and the fact that I had my ass handed to me in the last mission I played.... Enemies (possibly Klingon) had destroyed half my ship, including warp drive, leaving me stranded, limping and fleeing for my life on nothing but impulse drives.

Edit: standard view was also the same as Bridge commander, ie. you errr.. commanded.. from the bridge.
Edit 2: At least, that's how I remember it...

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:52:44 AM »
Might have been Starfleet Academy then, a really old gam, hard to get working on new systems ... last thing that comes to my mind is Star Trek Dominion Wars but even if you would manage to get it working you will be facing neverending ammounts of bugs and glitches :P

Offline Leslie Stroobant

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
I don't know, none of these games seem to be steered from the bridge, all exterior view it seems.

Another thing that comes to mind: there was some sort of encyclopedia that I could access on the ship.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
welcome

i tried to find some screenies for various trek games but none matched what you described lol sorry

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:20:56 AM »
Yeah, the only ST games that have bridge view are Bridge Commander and Starfleet Academy, everything else is controlled from tactical view (ship's exterior)

Star Trek Online has a bridge but you can't operate the ship from in although it has library computer on it :P but I doubt you're looking for STO :P

Offline Leslie Stroobant

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
Guess I should take a closer look at Statfleet academy then.

Offline Boeh

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 04:14:14 AM »
A Final Unity?

&index=31

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 04:42:02 AM »
 :facepalm: forgot about this one ...

Offline Leslie Stroobant

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 06:29:21 AM »
A Final Unity?

&index=31

:funny I don't recall the spaceships shaking their booty like that in the original series, but it looks like a great idea for a new movie!

Great catch on the wireframe tactical thing, but that doens't look like the one.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion though! (Still looking for Starfleet academy at the moment)

Offline sovereign001

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:25:59 AM »
:funny I don't recall the spaceships shaking their booty like that in the original series, but it looks like a great idea for a new movie!

Great catch on the wireframe tactical thing, but that doens't look like the one.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion though! (Still looking for Starfleet academy at the moment)

TWERK IT

Offline Boeh

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 04:22:13 AM »

:P Well, might be starfleet academy then. Here's a few pics that should help:

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
That is indeed Starfleet Academy! What a sweetheart of a game :D

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Leslie Stroobant

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
  :P Well, might be starfleet academy then. Here's a few pics that should help:

Removed the pictures. You know, as not to print it on virtual paper, made from virtual chopped trees.

If you could have seen the smile on my face when I started that game back up...
Starfleet Academy it is!

Thank you all for helping!

I'm delighted to be playing this golden classic again!

It does seem I've presented you fellas with a bit of misinformation though, I said it was operated with clicks, but it seems it isn't.
Kind of a pity, I did enjoy the bridge commander way of telling my crew to "go get 'em boys".
Instead I have to do it myself, and the instructor is telling ME to "go get them buoys". (Yes, that "u" is supposed to be there).

Regardless, thrilled to have recoverd what I though would have been long lost.

(Note to self: look for a manual)

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
IMO, since I have played Starfleet Academy also [as many here have], for long TERM game play Bridge Commander has it beat [IMO mind you]  :D
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?