Author Topic: back in business  (Read 414 times)

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
back in business
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
well, gents, we just had a revelation, here.

Our old laptop finally bit the dust.  the motherboard went to the electronics graveyard.  although we have a new VERY high performance lappy (that's a lot bigger,physically), there's one problem...

There's no CD/DVD Drive at all!!

Although everything runs at perfection level, including a lot of homebrew games, there's no way in heck to use a CD or DVD rom on this thing.  what the hay?

any suggestions?
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: back in business
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:16:28 PM »
can you get an external one?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:04:13 AM »
Good idea. I for example have an external BluRay drive. It's also well suited if a Laptop has no CD/DVD drive or a non-funtional one.
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:36:29 PM »
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
thanks for the replies, guys.  BC hasn't been giving me new post notices, and your responses have been pushed WAY down mostly by STO gripes.  Thinking of, do they still make a PATA version for tacking on?  I still got ships on my oldest HD.

oh, if I rescue this, I'll have a bit of an archive.  I may have something somebody didn't grab before it got purged.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline DarkKnight40

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
your old internal hdd drive..you can go to best buy and get an external usb case/power source you can slide that into that will allow you to run it just like any external hdd.  They got ya covered on the cd drive already :)

DK

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »
Or, since you already own the game, it's completely legal for you to mount a backup disc image On a virtual disc drive. I suspect discussing that in any detail well get this thread locked, though.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!