Author Topic: Models for download  (Read 1755 times)

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
Re: Models for download
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 04:59:39 AM »
If I stick my models on Shapeways am I breaking any BC rules by selling them? I have no intention of charging the BC world for my NIF files.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline 3 of 12

• Cookies: 15
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
The Vengeance is no longer for sale so you guys are getting somewhere :U

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 01:24:37 PM »
If I stick my models on Shapeways am I breaking any BC rules by selling them? I have no intention of charging the BC world for my NIF files.

I have no Idea what's filefronts stand on this is, but from the BCSDK readme (has anyone ever read that before?):
PROGRAM UTILITIES. These files contain certain design, programming and processing utilities, tools, assets and other resources for use with the Star Trek: Bridge Commander game that allow you to customize or create new missions, environments and other related game materials for personal use in Star Trek: Bridge Commander. Activision does not provide technical support for these tools  or the New Game Materials created by using these tools. All use of such materials is at your own risk. The use of these tools shall be subject to Software License Agreement contained within the Star Trek: Bridge Commander manual, as amended by the following additional license terms and restrictions:

* You agree that, as a condition to your using these tools, you will not use or allow third parties to use the tools and the New Game Material created by you for any commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a stand alone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate or encourage any proposal or offer from any person or entity to create any New Game Materials for commercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Activision in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer.

* If you decide to make available the use of the New Game Materials created by you to other gamers, you agree to do so solely without charge.

I am no lawyer, but considering they state "New Game Material" is something created using the help of the BCSDK (like a ship model + hardpoint), I don't see that selling the ship model alone would break these rules.

Hell, If that guy charges 20+? for your work :banghead:, I fail to see why you shouldn't try to get some money out of it as well.

I'm of course operating under the assumption that we still get your ships for free... :poke:

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 02:22:44 PM »
I think "new game material" means you can't make and sell mods for the game. Selling your own models should be fine. I would think that if anything, it's Paramount/CBS that you need to be wary off, since the ships you're potentially selling are based off of their universe.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »
Ditto.  Selling any model you made independently of BC should be ok.  There's a big market in the Poser/Daz world where people sell all kinds of Trek models.  The caveat being, as Vortex says, CBS/Paramount.  But they haven't issued C&D to those markets yet, so coast is clear (for now?)...

Offline Centurus

• If you're reading this, you're missing out on something better.
  • Cookies: 68
  • BOW BEFORE THE POWER OF MY RUBBER CHICKENS!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 08:00:51 PM »
I also contacted WickedZombie45. He did some models back then, one was the Titan MarkI. Which is on the site. He didn't seem to have the refit Mark II. But still, it's blatantly obvious whose models are whose. Too many details are present there to ignore it. It's out of control. But well see what we can do.

Adam

Very, very cool.  I can't even begin to imagine how many people this community knows who currently have their works stolen and being sold by someone else.

As for me, the guy I guess chose to remove it from the site rather than deal with a headache, but I'm gonna be wondering if and when he's gonna try again under another name, or at another site.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 08:38:12 PM »
He's an A$$.
And I hope he gets what's coming to him. Big time!
I can't describe how many modelers have left the online Star Trek gaming communities bc they got fed up with their work being raped or stolen by these AHoles. And the sad part is sometimes you communicate to the website owners about people who do this; multiple people report it and the websites say they can't do squat. Hmph!

Offline MajorPayne

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 12:35:25 PM »
Goddam it. What on earth is DJ Curtis' Vivace doing on there!!??!! I mean he was nice enough to let me make a low poly version before he stopped all re-edits, but you can clearly tell its his original and not my rebuild (I drew the phaser arrays onto the textures).

I've contacted the admin there concerning this. Hopefully it'll be removed.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:22 PM »
It irks me!
Do people think we don't notice these things. It's a small community. Hmph
We should have a wall of shame for these bastards. With the website and screen name so people are more aware and we pass on the information.

Adam