Author Topic: Models for download  (Read 1756 times)

Offline fungun

• Cookies: 0
Models for download
« on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Thought some of you modders would like to know.
Looks like alot of BC ships here - http://celestiaaddons.wix.com/celestiaaddons
Found this info here - http://216.231.48.101/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17034&sid=edae0176231101c60c399b414b30f296&start=165

Interesting.

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: Models for download
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:45:12 AM »
This is news to me...did that guy get permissions to do that stuff?  Though he does at least credit the models to the makers...
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 06:53:07 AM »
The user john Van Vliet is also known as BDFD (banned from here). And I think quite a few of his alt personalities at shatters.net have been banned.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
There is nothing we can do to stop this kind of thing so I accept it is part and parcel of modding.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:29:01 AM »
I mean I myself am guilty of taking models and converting them for personal use on my computer, but I've always said, it's one thing taking someone's work and playing around with it for your personal use and another thing to post it on a web page with pics and stuff bc it gives the outsider the illusion that you are the author/maker. It's wrong. Maybe not legally bc this guy credits people as stated but just on a common sense level. It's wrong. Just put it out there that it's someone else's work, enough so there's no error or confusion. People deserve credit and most modelers are very giving to the communities. They active allow their work to be used for other games/programs but don't be an a&@. I'm kind of upset about it bc I was searching through the websites and I really didn't see any mention of BC or any modelers name. I didn't download anything so as stated the credit/readme may be with the download links but still it should be in plain view so the average joe knows.
Ehh. Sorry guys for venting but I've been around the block here and there and I've seen a lot of talented people disappear from many forums bc they felt victimize by these AHoles. And not only do the modelers get hurt by this but so do we, the fans.

Adam

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
John Van Vliet is not BDFD.  I've had dealings with him before and quickly ruled him out.  Argelesmer however is.  I've gotten very good at identifying him based on his horrible speech patterns.  Wiley and I have identified a good 8 or so of his aliases.  I'll see into getting his website taken down by the host.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
To: selden

My name is Ryan, and I'm acting as a representative of the Bridge Commander modding community. I'm not sure if you've had past dealings with a guy who goes by the alias "BDFD". He's been banned on your site, however, he is known to create other accounts to circumvent bans. It seems he is active again, and has found another way to distribute plagiarized meshes.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17034&start=165#p134206
http://celestiaaddons.wix.com/celestiaaddons

I believe argelesmer is another one of his many accounts. I've seen a good 8 or so of his, and he's very bad at hiding his own particular brand of speech pattern. I'm currently getting in contact with Wix, the host of his site, and asking if they can pull him down.

Anything you can do on your end would be appreciated.

Ryan aka FarShot

Offline FarShot

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
I've also sent a formal complaint to the website host, Wix.com.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:34:31 AM »
I just had a look over there at the Fed ships and several are mine (and one mis-credited as Nix's).

I know I have given permission for my stuff to be used in this game, the problem is I cannot remember who it was.

But unless Wiley, Nix or the X_unknown_x gave permission then the site needs to come down.

Offline FarShot

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 12:20:19 PM »
If you guys could submit complaints to Wix.com that would be much appreciated.  They replied to my request by asking for proof of copyright infringement, which I obviously do not have.  Perhaps a series of complaints from our community will be enough.

Offline Centurus

• If you're reading this, you're missing out on something better.
  • Cookies: 68
  • BOW BEFORE THE POWER OF MY RUBBER CHICKENS!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:54 AM »
Sorry for the necro post, but since a thread like this already existed, I thought it would be relevant.

I just came across this site selling Trek models, a few I am familiar with, since a couple I know came from this community.

I thought it should be brought to attention.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/DravenShipYards?s=0#more-products

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
uh oh, I see what you mean, but did he make the models from scratch using BC Models as reference or did he just take the models and converted them to a different format.  :idk:

Adam

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 10:51:28 AM »
Looks like he converted them.

Offline baz1701

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
I think I have 2/3rd of the ships from the first page in my BC install, haven't looked any further.
And weren't DJ's ships not near exclusively for BC?
 :bitch: Claiming that he made these and trying to make money with it makes me sick.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
I wanna smack him with a stinky fish!

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 02:07:19 PM »
I wanna smack him with a stinky fish!

Had to:

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 03:15:10 PM »
I think I have 2/3rd of the ships from the first page in my BC install, haven't looked any further.
And weren't DJ's ships not near exclusively for BC?
 :bitch: Claiming that he made these and trying to make money with it makes me sick.

Uggh, looks more and more flagrant theft to me. It's common knowledge that DJ created his own original Trek based designs. It just sickens me that this douche has the nerve, making monetary profit, off of someone elses hard work. :lostit: :facepalm: :bitch:

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline Centurus

• If you're reading this, you're missing out on something better.
  • Cookies: 68
  • BOW BEFORE THE POWER OF MY RUBBER CHICKENS!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
I received a reply from Shapeways, and essentially, they're using various laws to absolve themselves from any responsibility, and unless the offending individual chooses to take the ship down, there's not much I can do except submit a request to have it taken down, which may or may not happen.

I made a big ass post on the page where my own ship is being sold, putting it on notice that it's theft.  I contacted the guy, but I doubt I'll get a response, even if he reads it.

I know the model was converted, and since I had also released a 3DS Max 9 version on Scifi-Meshes a while ago, when their download page was still active, chances are this guy didn't have to do much, if any, converting.  I know that mesh, I made every inch of it, and I know how the polys are grouped.  That's definitely my model, my work, not just my design copied.

I posted about this also on my DeviantArt account, and a few of my watchers took it upon themselves to contact Shapeways on my behalf as well, something I didn't expect.

I hope no one here minded the necro post, but since I was once a part of the gaming modeling community, and because I had recognized some work on Shapeways that belongs to a few people on these forums, I knew I had no choice but to bring it to light, because I would want someone to let me know if it happened to me.  Unfortunately, it did happen to me, but one of the friends I notified about it had let me know as well.

I hope those who have found their work ripped off go after the offending individuals and after Shapeways itself.  Also, I read a reply that some of DJ's models were being sold on the site, so if anyone knows how to get hold of DJ, that would be a good idea.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
I also contacted WickedZombie45. He did some models back then, one was the Titan MarkI. Which is on the site. He didn't seem to have the refit Mark II. But still, it's blatantly obvious whose models are whose. Too many details are present there to ignore it. It's out of control. But well see what we can do.

Adam