Author Topic: KDF "qajunpaQ" (Courage) Bird of Prey concept  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
KDF "qajunpaQ" (Courage) Bird of Prey concept
« on: January 29, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »
Hey guys, a few folks have requested pics of my Kvort replacement, so here it is...the modern version of the full size BOP, the Courage. This is a very rough mesh at this point, still needs quite a bit of work, but you get the idea. It's the next model I am going to texture once I get the Maveq converted to BC.

I originally intended this to be the new Maveq, but it was a radical departure from the original I decided instead to make it a brand new class and go another direction with the Maveq, something closer to the original mesh.

As you can see, I tried to add as many familiar BOP ques as I could...the double lights on the wings, large graduated warp coils on either side of the hull, the "spare tire" on the port and starboard sides of the ship, the vents on the aft dorsal hull, the complex nose torp launcher, etc.

This should give you an idea of what it's going to look like. Comments and feedback is welcome naturally.

As you can see from the fourth pic, this vessel also has moving wings, but a shallow high position compared to the original BOP. The wings still clear the ground for landing with room to spare, but if you think the wings need to be higher let me know.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Re: KDF "qajunpaQ" (Courage) Bird of Prey concept
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
Oooo, me likey klingon ship.   :yay:

Offline nxadam1701

• Cookies: 20
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 11:07:07 PM »
Can you take another profile shot. It's too close. Seems like the nose/neck is too short for the rest of the body but it may be me bc of the close up.

Adam

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:39 PM »
Sure, Ill do schematic shots, port and dorsal side....one sec.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
Ok, as you can see the neck on the Courage is actually longer than the original BOP. Also, I'd like to note that I am still unsure about the crew module shape. Right now it has kind of a "hammerhead" thing going, but I might make it a more traditional shape instead.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:12 PM »
Definitely was just a bad shot. I like the length as it is. Perfect bro. Thanks for the new ships.

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
Reminds me of a Komodo Dragon

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:18:41 AM »
 :bow:
I really like it! The whole ship's line- "flow" also fits well with your other Klingon ships.
The new Landing Wing-position looks like it would also aid in atmospheric flight manoeuvres.

What I would change (maybe, I'm not entirely sure on that) is the part where the Crew-module's 'Rim' starts -right behind/below the cloaking device.
That Area could be a bit more broad/wider to give the 'Head' a more of a triangular shape (from top/down view).

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »
I'm looking at a few different shapes for the crew module...perhaps a more traditional look, something more tapered, and even something more like an arrowhead as you suggest.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
very cool!!  you have me really taking a liking to Klingon ships again! :D

Offline Phoenix Bondi

• REMEMBER YOUR ORIGIN
  • Cookies: 575
  • Never Forget Your Origins
    • CHRIS JONES GAMING
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
Raven why is it your klingon ships are always the best of the best, i mean Damn i think they all looks so amazing :D

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
Maybe because he IS a Klingon?! :funny

Awesome work as always.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 03:29:55 PM »
I appreciate that guys. I prefer to do Klingon ships, not very good with my fed designs, though I hope my Jupiter, Ares and Dauntless (Defiant refit) designs fare a bit better with forum opinions. We will see.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
They should of hired you to do the Klingon ship in into the darkness. That was an atrocity! You have a better concept of what Klingon ships should and do look like.

Adam

Offline Lord Tribble

• Cookies: 2
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:38:26 AM »
That would fit in perfectly as a full NuTrek starship BoP, like a big sister to the NuTrek patrol craft :thumbsup:

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
That would fit in perfectly as a full NuTrek starship BoP, like a big sister to the NuTrek patrol craft :thumbsup:

I think this craft would fit into any reality.  It's a great looking Klingon vessel.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Kophjaeger

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
This looks real real good.

It actually reminds me quite a bit of the concept BoP that was done by Pierre Drolet. I prefer this to that silly "D-4" they used any day.

http://www.pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/klingon-bird-of-prey-bop

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
I appreciate the feedback guys.

I made some changes to the mesh. First, I had to adjust the aft impulse housing to avoid the wing assembly from cutting into the hull. I also adjusted the impulse vent "teeth" to a more even layout so they could fit 4 impulse drives evenly.

I also made some major adjustments to the fore crew module and the wings. For the wings, I added an extra coil piece on the wings and removed the coil extension below the wing line...this way the wings could be raised higher, the coil assembly remains closed though there is a slight gap, and the ventral side of the wing is much cleaner with the wings up.

The new rotation angle is now 44 degrees, closer to the original Kvort.

Here are the pics.

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »
I agree. Any time frame.

Dude it just has a mean predatory look to it. Love it. Just love it.

Adam

Offline nxadam1701

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 01:25:42 AM »
This looks real real good.

It actually reminds me quite a bit of the concept BoP that was done by Pierre Drolet. I prefer this to that silly "D-4" they used any day.

http://www.pierre-drolet-sci-fi-museum.com/klingon-bird-of-prey-bop

Not to change the topic, but I must say, I never knew JJ could have had that design over the one they eventually chose, such fools.

But your designs are always perfection in terms of what a Klingon ships is known to be and should be, we all know what has been done canonically speaking and your ships always stay true to history and you always touch it up with your vision of the future.  :bow: