Author Topic: The Elders Scrolls Online - 4.4.14  (Read 2217 times)

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
The Elders Scrolls Online - 4.4.14
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »
Who's looking forward to this game?
I know I am.  I've already had the chance to Beta-Test it once, and am about to again this weekend.   :evil:
Who else is beta testing?  I'm curious to compare notes.  I've a bunch of screens and footage, but I'm not allowed to share it.  lol  Darn.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
Re: The Elders Scrolls Online - 4.4.14
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 02:21:01 AM »
I'm always cautious with anything new so even though I'm very excited I'll wait for a while until I see what kind of bugs there are.

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
Most of them that I remember from the last Beta Test, was mainly mission bugs.  Someone not being there was the most part.  When exiting chat with a seller ingame, would get stuck.  I actually found a mesh error, after 3 days of exploring.  lol  Also pointed out a bunch of cosmetic errors, minor errors really.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
Still need to finish Sky and Obliv, but so looking forward to this.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
Most of them that I remember from the last Beta Test, was mainly mission bugs.  Someone not being there was the most part.  When exiting chat with a seller ingame, would get stuck.  I actually found a mesh error, after 3 days of exploring.  lol  Also pointed out a bunch of cosmetic errors, minor errors really.

One major issue for me with the last beta test, was being in a group with a buddy of mine, and despite standing right next to him on the map, he couldn't see me, and I couldn't see him. Tried teleporting to his "instance" and vice versa, no dice. When he saw dead bodies on the ground, I was in the exact same location and didn't see any bodies at all (dead or alive). Game at the time was far from ready for launch (2 months to go as of this date), and in my opinion, the entire animation system needs a complete rework. The animations in Skyrim look fluid, realistic. The Elder Scrolls Online animations look incredibly stiff and fake.

I've been reinvited to beta this weekend, see if they've made any meaningful improvements since.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
Well as far as I can determine: What you see and another character sees, depends on mission progression.  I think it's weird, and would be nice to see the same thing.  But, I assume that the missions have to be shared, in order to follow exactly the same thing.  I never did try completing shared missions with someone.

And at the last Beta Test, I went to a certain part of the map and advertised a naked party before the beta ended.  rofl  I recorded it too, Harlem Shake ESO!!  Although, I'm not supposed to share any visuals.  I'll have to read the EULA/ToS/whatever again.  Hope I'm not breaking rules by chatting about the beta here.  :P

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
I highly doubt the ESO developers are monitoring a 3rd party, Bridge Commander, modding forum for possible NDA breaches :P
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »
lol.  I've been invited too.  Client is downloading now.  All 21GB of it..
I miss :bigdance:

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 04:24:58 PM »
Back in the game now.  But my character's name has been changed to Cordnailus.  lol

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »
I just tried getting in.  Failed lol. 
I had my character created, hit "create" and then *poof* I get kicked out with a message saying "message limit exceeded" or something. 

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:07:10 PM »
Fuck it, I'm not getting ESO.  Not now, not ever.  No no no no no no no and again, no.  It has such potential, but the community there is just awful.
I mean, its when you ask a simple question in zone chat and have 30 people reply with sexist and elitist abuse that you know the game isn't for you.

A shame really, the game had such potential imo. 

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:09 AM »
Moo ha ha ha ha  We ended the Beta Test with a naked dance party.  Doing whatever...hopefully I didn't get banned.  ha ha ha  We'll see later I guess.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
I"m not getting at all. Especially after they've fucked up the lore.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
Especially after they've fucked up the lore.

How so?

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Cyrodil isn't a forest, some of the races working together in the "alliances" would never work together in a million years.

The Elder Scrolls are "Buff items" for guilds to capture for prestige. I means seriously? The most sacred objects in the lore, which most people go blind looking at and they're a "Capture the flag" item.

Also anyone can be 'elected' Emperor when they hold the imperial city.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
The Elder Scrolls Online takes place hundreds, if not thousands of years before the other Elder Scrolls games. It's possible, Cyrodil isn't a forest -anymore- in the Elder Scrolls games. But being that it's several hundred years earlier, maybe it hadn't been "deforested" yet.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:38 PM »
The Elder Scrolls Online takes place hundreds, if not thousands of years before the other Elder Scrolls games. It's possible, Cyrodil isn't a forest -anymore- in the Elder Scrolls games. But being that it's several hundred years earlier, maybe it hadn't been "deforested" yet.

No I mean according to the lore, in the time period ESO takes place most of Cyrodill was a forest, in ESO it looks closer to Oblivion. The story/lore people at Zenimax online claim it was a "Transcription error" a fancy way of saying "Retcon" for the sake of Gameplay

ESO takes place during the 2nd Era, about 300 years before Arena.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00:03 PM »
No I mean according to the lore, in the time period ESO takes place most of Cyrodill was a forest, in ESO it looks closer to Oblivion. The story/lore people at Zenimax online claim it was a "Transcription error" a fancy way of saying "Retcon" for the sake of Gameplay

ESO takes place during the 2nd Era, about 300 years before Arena.

Just a bit further back than that surely? Iirc, arena was not all that long before morrowind.  Not to mention that the 2nd era was just shy of 900 years long.  

From what I recall reading, ESO takes place something like 2E 500?  Works out to about 600 or so years before arena, twice your estimate.  (This is according to my off-the-top-of-my-very-tired-sleep-deprived-head math).

The thing about the scrolls being relegated to buff items is a bit crappy, I agree.  I recall reading that they appeared VERY rarely, only in times of dire need and then often vanishing afterwards.  

The "transcription error" about cyrodill being more like it's form in Oblivion is pretty believable to me.  Who knows how many such errors (or deliberate changes) have been made to real life historical and religious texts.  
Not to mention that record keeping in the setting of the elder scrolls may not be the best, or the most accurate!  
Imo calling it a transcription error is a bit of an understatement, but I can definitely see where they are coming from.  

As for the emperor being elected thing, it's not them being elected, it's them being installed through force of arms.  It happened in the more chaotic times of the Roman empire or so I'm told.  

Come to think of it, Kori, have we swapped our roles from those we had in the STO thread?  :funny

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 10:35:37 PM »
Oh Arena is 3rd Era, my bad. I must have read it wrong.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Oh Arena is 3rd Era, my bad. I must have read it wrong.

Bad, bad, very bad Kori! :D

I wish they had a decent community in ESO tbh, and perhaps better handling of bows, sneak attacks, enemy aggro handling etc. 
The game has such potential but when I tested it, it was incredibly frustrating.

I.e. Bows doing piddly squat damage, even with sneak attacks, forcing you to do a kind of "back pedal while popping off arrows at the enemy" movement.  The problem comes in when you get just past their "limit of exploitation"*.  As soon as you touch that, enemy NPCs in that mob all become invulnerable and reset their stats as they sprint back to where they started from.
 VERY frustrating and immersion breaking.

*that's a military term.  It's basically a "you will go no further than this" line in a military operation.