Author Topic: 2 Trek movies in the works?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Trim

• BCN/BCU Veteran
  • Cookies: 74
  • Moderator of redundancy Moderator

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
Re: 2 Trek movies in the works?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:24:29 AM »
JJverse, and JJverse...

Pass.

Now, if they would make movies set in this rebooted "Prime Alternate" timeline of Discovery, that would be a whole different matter. Of course, I would prefer more movies and shows set in the REAL Prime, preferably post-Nemesis.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
  • Cookies: 89
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
I got all excited, but then I remembered that it's probably going to be rebooted garbage, or something similar to it (Discovery)

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
Beyond was a great movie, I hope these are like it.

Offline Tuskin38

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 07:06:10 PM »
JJverse, and JJverse...
Pass.
same here...

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 08:55:41 PM »
You people are no fun.

Beyond and '09 were amazing movies.

Into Darkness was shit though.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:53 PM »
'09 was decent
Into Darkness was shit
Beyond was good

(NONE of the above were even close to being "amazing")

Sooo, basically keeping up the tradition of every other film being good, every other being bad. That means whatever the next film will be, will be the shitty one, and whichever comes after that might be good.

Then again, this tradition was sort-of broken back when the Prime Universe films were made, since both Insurrection and Nemesis were bad films. Certainly nowhere near the levels of 2, 6 or 8 (Wrath, Undiscovered, First Contact).
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »
you guys make me wanna get out the popcorn, sometimes.  the arguments have a lot of entertainment value.

meanwhile, i think people forgot that the PARODY is considered to have BROKEN the "even is good, odd is crap" curse.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »
Then again, this tradition was sort-of broken back when the Prime Universe films were made, since both Insurrection and Nemesis were bad films.
I wouldn't go so far as to call Insurrection bad.  If anything, I think it's biggest flaw is that it's essentially a glorified TNG two-parter.  It would have been a decent two-parter, but obviously not up as high as Best of Both Worlds or Chain of Command.  Better than Time's Arrow or Gambit, however.  I'd rank it higher than Generations and Nemesis.

On the subject of Nemesis, that one definitely had some very serious flaws, but some redeeming qualities.  Riker and Troi's wedding was great; the battle made my 13-year-old self very happy (I'd been waiting years to see the Enterprise-E really fight and was not disappointed); Data's death scene and the memorial afterwards was, I think, handled well.  Flaws-wise:  The overall story didn't work that great (why would Shinzon go after Earth if he hates the Romulans so much?  Why not destroy Romulus?).  Why not do something with Sela and get Denise onboard for the last TNG film?  How the hell did Shinzon leave pieces of B4 on some random planet and know the Enterprise would be nearby?  And wouldn't there have been an easier way to get him to the Enterprise?

'09 was decent
Into Darkness was shit
Beyond was good
Agreed.  I especially hated the magic Khan blood in Into Darkness.  '09 did a good job establishing the JJ-verse, and Beyond felt like a classic TOS adventure (who knew The Fast and the Furious director could make a good Trek film?  Hell, I'm happy he did!)

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 10:50:33 AM »
Yeah, Insurrection felt like a TV story.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »
you guys make me wanna get out the popcorn, sometimes.  the arguments have a lot of entertainment value.

meanwhile, i think people forgot that the PARODY is considered to have BROKEN the "even is good, odd is crap" curse.

The parody? Which one is that? And don't say "Galaxy Quest" since it's not a part of this franchise.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 07:07:50 AM »
it may not be PART of the franchise, but it sure as heck poked fun at both us as trekkies AND certain actor's egos.

meanwhile, you guys have been dropping Spoilers all OVER the last JJ movie, which i still haven't seen!
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
meanwhile, you guys have been dropping Spoilers all OVER the last JJ movie, which i still haven't seen!
Really??  They've been out for years now.  I'm all for spoiler alerts and what not, but only after so long.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
This is the Internets... If you wanna avoid spoilers, stay off the net.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline King Class Scout

• the other half of SFRD
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 06:18:31 AM »
I've avoided spoilers THIS long.  hell, i JUST caught The Force Awakens.  'course, I'm from when you had to wait 2 years for it to come out for home viewing, another year for the price to come down, and then another two years to pop on the air in censored mode :P
OS novel fan

best line I've ever read

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:18 AM »
Honestly, you guys like what you like, I'll like what I like.  Bring on more of the Kelvin Timeline!

Also, reports are saying that the second movie in the works, being developed from a story pitched by Quentin Tarantino, is going to be set in a different timeline.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
Honestly, you guys like what you like, I'll like what I like.  Bring on more of the Kelvin Timeline!
Here here!  Sometimes us Trek fans tend to hate on it so much that I wonder if we even like it.

I personally like the JJ films - except Into Darkness, that one was a colossal screw up.  2009 and Beyond were quite good.

I'm enjoying Discovery as well.  And hell, I've even grown to like Enterprise.  Are these perfect shows and movies?  Of course not, but they're entertaining and they're Trek.

The only one that I've grown to not be too fond of these days is Voyager.  A ship stranded alone on the other side of the Galaxy, with infinite torpedoes and shuttles and is always in pristine condition (despite having zero access to a starbase for repairs and resupply); where crew deaths are of no consequence (despite not having any chance for replacements coming in from another ship); where nobody is actively thinking "who's gonna run this ship in 50 years when Janeway and Chakotay are old and grey?"  Redoing TNG on a show where the concept relies on those things being addressed regularly just breaks the immersion for me, despite it having some good individual episodes.  Hell, Enterprise season three did a better job with Voyager's premise than Voyager itself did - at least when the NX-01 got trashed in "Azati Prime" there were actual consequences and character growth from the experience.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
Honestly, I quite enjoy Into Darkness.  I even think Cumberbatch is a superior Khan to Montelban's in Wrath of Khan.  Don't get me wrong, I still love TWOK, but...Khan wasn't Khan.  Not quite, anyways.  He was more Ahab than the cunning manipulator he was in "Space Seed".  Now, are there things I would've liked better?  Dozens.  I think Kirk's death and resurrection could've been better handled or explained.  I wish that the Enterprise had put up more of a fight against the Vengeance.  And I wish Scotty hadn't been separated from the Enterprise for the whole movie.  I do believe that Beyond is the superior Trek film, though again, I wish the Enterprise hadn't been ripped apart.  That is probably my biggest problem with the Kelvin Timeline films.  The Enterprise gets torn to shreds over and over again and barely gets to be awesome.

To Boldly Go...Again.