Author Topic: Origin Of The Borg?  (Read 12770 times)

admiral homer

Origin Of The Borg?
« on: August 25, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
I have opened this forum to see what people think of know the origin of the borg. Do you want to know or would you rather it was left alone?

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: Origin Of The Borg?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »
I dunno...Sure it'd be nice, but that said if we did know, then the writers would struggle even more to come up with a story without making some big howler of an inconcistency or two thousand etc. ;)
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Cube

• Cookies: 5
    • DJcube
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 07:36:39 PM »
Moved to Tech Talk.

AndrewJ

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »
Microsoft.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »
We know the Borg Collective has existed for at least 900 years by the time of Voyager (Dragon Teeth, season 6).
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline UPD Equinox

• Cookies: 2
    • Section 31 RPG
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 10:17:05 PM »
Hmm I think the borg work well with a lot of mystery surrounding them. If they were to reveal the origin of the Borg it may take away some of the threat value. We still don't know what they are fully capable of.

admiral homer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »
My thoughts exactly. Star trek lagacy made the mistake of trying to prove that the borg evolved from v'ger which is just stupid. Cuz as we all know the borg have exsisted for centuarys, Guinan in TNG said the borg were thousands or centuarys old and not a couple which the borg would of been when Picard first encoutered them. Plus the borg started out in the delta quadrant not the alpha quadrent. Wish people would understand some things before they try and prove somthing. Worst of all it was D C Fontana who wrote the story for Star Trek Legacy!

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 07:50:41 AM »
Man I played about 5 levels of that game and got the s**ts real bad with it. I'm glad i havent played anymore of it. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of all the crap they try and fabricate or get wrong or misuse for the sake of making money. Sure I know its a buisiness but they could EASILY make money without screwing everything up!

admiral homer

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:30:12 PM »
Exactly. I think the last decent star trek game was elite force 2 and even that wasnt as good as the origanal. I just wish they would leave old things alone and invent new and origanal content to stop them screwing things up!
I was like you i had played about 5 levels and got sick of it really fast. I dont mind so much the enterprise episode with the borg in it because it was a direct concequence of first contact. But i do have one bug about that show.  Why did picard not know about them before q who?

Offline Rob Archer

• Cookies: 545
  • New Frontier MKVI
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 11:26:18 PM »
I think we've had this debate before cant remember when......

At some point the Borg were human

Quote from: The Borg Queen (ST: First Contact)
"We used to be exactly like them. Flawed, weak, organic. But we evolved to include the synthetic. Now we use both to attain perfection."

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 12:21:16 AM »
Well thats the nature of temporal mechanics. :)

I think that comment is reffering to the qualities that humans posses not that they actually WERE humans.

admiral homer

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 02:27:31 AM »
She just ment organice life forms in general not humans. The borg queen wasnt human to start off with anyway. I just think it is important to know what star trek fans feel of knowing the borgs origin. I mean i wouldnt mind finding out but only if it is plosible and that is writen well

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:34:08 AM »
I dont wanna know just because I'm damn sure the answer they come up with is going to be f**king stupid.

Offline Ambassador

• Untitled
  • Cookies: 33
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 10:06:08 AM »
A quick theory:

The Borg were humanoids.  Then some scientist invented nano-probes, and some Facist organazation like the Nazis on Earth exploited these nanoprobes to attain their goal of a perfect society.

admiral homer

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
Maybe. But what ever it is i just dont wana know its better left a mystery. And it would be a stupid answer that they came up with. So i think it is better left alone. All i know is the borg had to be invented you dont just get creatures that have cyborgnetics throughout there body

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 12:27:16 PM »
Maybe. But what ever it is i just dont wana know its better left a mystery. And it would be a stupid answer that they came up with. So i think it is better left alone. All i know is the borg had to be invented you dont just get creatures that have cyborgnetics throughout there body

Something along the lines of BSG happened.  But the organics lost. BIGTIME.

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 03:20:26 AM »
All of this has been suggested before. The only thing that I want to see them do with the Borg is make them even more mysterious.

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »
All of this has been suggested before. The only thing that I want to see them do with the Borg is make them even more mysterious.

Perhaps we've exhausted them as the "super bad villans" race they once were. 

I reckon we need a new race of "super bad villans" in trek..

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »
Gene Roddenberry once said that V'Ger could have been a possible the origin of the Borg, but of course it was never in the show so not canon.

Offline UPD Equinox

• Section 31 RPG
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:48 AM »
Vger is simply to recent an event to be anywhere near the point of origin. Vger may certainly have been somehow effected by the borg in some way but certianly not THEIR origin. Maybe Vger can be seen as a previous iteration of the borg?