Author Topic: Master permissions thread-Attention modders  (Read 11504 times)

Offline candle_86

• Cookies: 2
  • Position Gamma Hydra sector 10
Re: Master permissions thread-Attention modders
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:03 AM »
name: Candle_86

policy: Ask me first for all but conversion to BC, I am an SFC modder starting off, but given the abuse the SFC community as well as the BC communit gets from stolen work, any work besides a conversion to BC must be cleared with me. Also no retextures of my work allowed period the end, I spend hours per texture getting it as cannon as possible, and they are my pride, so please leave them alone. If you want to kitbash a model or use parts of it, also contact me, before and after your done, I want to know how my work is being used before you release it.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
Name: HOBBS
Name: USSGRIFFIN
Group: Starfleet R&D / SFRD / Starfleet Research & Development

Please contact me when looking into modelling any of my designs. (a simple "im looking to model ....." is fine :D )
Before release of any ship based whole or in part on my designs must be discussed with myself and i must be provided with the ship before release for "shake down" tests.

Also any modifications to my models must be discussed with me too

this includes SFRD ships though the members of SFRD will be consulted

"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
I just wanted to throw my hat in here.

General Policy:  Any modifications to any retextures that I (Roger Smith) have made MUST have the expressed permission from me, and the original owner (with the exception of P81, who has a free use policy as long as credits are given, also please see Chronocidal Guy's terms of modifications).  You may reach me here or at the BCS Boards, I can also be reached at eclipse74569@yahoo.com for permissions.  Any modifications to any models made must have the expressed permission from me.

Conversions:  You may port my models/textures to any format that you wish as long as you also have expressed permission from me.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »
Deadthunder2_0, or Dead_Thunder

Policy- i don't care, free use

Conversions- same as former
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline Vladko1

• Cookies: 72
  • The trekkie of steel
    • Modders of Steel Shipyards Homepage!
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 01:35:55 PM »
Name: Vladislav Goranov
Nicknames: Vladko1, Lt.Goranov, Lt-Cmd.Goranov
Policy: My models, textures (and don't know what else) before modding or on the time before releasing I should be asked about permissions and after that I MUST be credited. For now this is it.

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 11:13:08 AM »
USERNAME: Captain_Licard
POLICY:
   None of my work shall be used for financial gain. If you wish to convert any of my work to another game, please contact me before doing so. Any other modifications in BridgeCommander are permitted but credit must be given.

PM me here at BCC or send me an e-mail at captain_licard@live.com
Star Trek Collision

Offline Jerycho

• Fallen
  • Cookies: 2
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »
Username: Jerycho
Name: Jericho

General Policy(unless otherwise stated by me):
Permissions for concepts and modifications including porting, retextures, remodels, editing the model and/or textures, in any way shape or form, are denied unless you contact me via Email or PM to ask for specific permission(s) and I then approve the permission(s), and then you must give credit to me and any other(s) who were given credit in the original product. You may not under any circumstances use my work for financial gain.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 12:34:19 AM »
The exception, as LC Amaral indicated is Nightsoft work, all of the meshes for which I obtained full rights. My original modding rules (which I believe I posted in this thread, if not let me know) apply.

As far as my concepts, I actually enjoy it when folks use my concepts to inspire their own designs...which often are better than my originals. No public credit is required, I only ask that someone drop me a line to let know I inspired one of their designs.

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery IMO.

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2023, 07:16:51 PM »
Any mod made by Jl Studios, Jb06, limey98 or anyone affiliated with Jb06 has to obtain permission otherwise they will not be able to use in ANY modification.

Email address: jonnyburrows@hotmail.co.uk

Updated 2nd July 2023

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2023, 12:29:14 AM »
Nobody can include my tools\mods into their mods.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline FekLeyr Targ

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 537
Re: Master permissions thread-Attention modelers
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2023, 06:51:51 AM »
USERNAME: Fek'Leyr Targ/FekLeyr Targ/FekLeyrTarg

GENERAL POLICY: You have my permission do anything with my mods you like, but please give me proper credit if you want to release the result.

If you have Questions or anything else, you can find me nearly everywhere in the Internet or by E-Mail: fekleyrtarg@live.at

My more liberal stance has not been changed.
TaH pagh, Tah be.

Offline Blackrook32

• BC Files Admin
  • Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1077
    • Blackrook32's YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2023, 05:41:14 PM »
MASTER PERMISSIONS UPDATE

As of this date 07/22/2023,

Using a previous/original ship model, without expressed permission from the original Aother witll NO LONGER BE TOLERATED, if it does not follow their expressed wishes in this Master list.

For example. Using someone's ship model just to augment a hardpoint job is not permitted; that falls on the modding lines as "Hardpoints Only", which has been a staple category at BCFiles for over 20 years. That is where your Hardpoint/No Model works should be posted.

When submitting a Hardpoint rendition, just link your mod to what ship uses it.

There is absolutely NO reason for you to add someone eles model, that was not even modified. That takes away from the "original"mod author, and that is not fair.

BR32

" Fortune Favors the Bold "

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2023, 10:19:32 PM »
It is a 20 year old game.
Most people are long gone.
There is nothing wrong with updating ships to work in KM and BCRe. Proper credits are always given. Many times in the past if a modder can't be reached after extensive trying, people have just given credits and that was never a problem.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2023, 12:14:24 AM »
From my understanding, most modders tend to be okay with simple "give credit where credit is due". But others, if modders want them to specifically be asked permission first before using, then that's what you should do. If you can't contact them (maybe they died, maybe they changed email etc), the simplest answer is:

Don't use it !

To use a real world example: Should a person be allowed to take the Mona Lisa, modify it any way they see fit, and call it their own, just because they can't contact Leonardo da Vinci? Or should his work be respected to such an extent that you simply... don't use it?
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2023, 01:55:01 AM »
Own gamefront rules (check attachment). This isn't about making stuff up as we go. Every modding site has similar rules. Some gaming companies follow similar rules (KSP, paradox interactive...). And "it's an old game" does not apply to either KOTOR, KOTOR2, Mass effect, Dragon Age Origins. BC cannot be an exception to the site(s) in question I'm pretty sure.

This is to prevent any future scenarios we had about 2 months back. The ticket in question which triggered this was done with the best of intentions. But it would appear that some have the wrong idea as in to believe that if a modder is not available it's okay to include all assets (repackage mods). It is not okay. People who build upon someone else's work should do the tracking of mod authors; not the other way around.

95% of mods published are I believe fine; it is where it is impossible to contact the mod author and the mod author in question did not post in this thread that is the issue.

You can of course if you are modding BC bypass this by:
1. Listing dependencies to your mod
2. Write an app which will download the dependencies either automatically or manually (depending if gamefront has an API for download)

EDIT: Added moddb own policy
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2023, 06:11:41 AM »
Ok then, just a link to a ship instead of the ship itself.
We've been doing things wrong the whole time here on BCC , this has never been an issue.
It is just a small update in the hp and a plugin. Nothing major.

Offline Mario

• Administrator
  • Life is life
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2023, 01:34:39 PM »
I've cleaned up the topic. Let's put it this way:

1. There's an entry in this topic and the author allows others to include stuff = Great go ahead and repackage or use their assets in your mod. Good luck and happy modding.
2. There's an entry in this topic and the author does not allow others to include their stuff = You can only link stuff as a dependency
3. Mod author has contact information and has allowed you to use their stuff =  Great go ahead and repackage or use their assets in your mod. Good luck and happy modding.
4. Mod author has contact information and has not allowed you to use their stuff = You can only link stuff as a dependency
5. Mod author cannot be contacted = Sorry but you are out of luck. You can only link stuff as a dependency.

Remember: Always give credit where due.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline MSR1701

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2023, 10:48:36 AM »
MASTER PERMISSIONS UPDATE

As of this date 07/22/2023,

Using a previous/original ship model, without expressed permission from the original Aother witll NO LONGER BE TOLERATED, if it does not follow their expressed wishes in this Master list.

For example. Using someone's ship model just to augment a hardpoint job is not permitted; that falls on the modding lines as "Hardpoints Only", which has been a staple category at BCFiles for over 20 years. That is where your Hardpoint/No Model works should be posted.

When submitting a Hardpoint rendition, just link your mod to what ship uses it.

There is absolutely NO reason for you to add someone eles model, that was not even modified. That takes away from the "original"mod author, and that is not fair.

BR32

Hypothetical question - some mods (Captain Russell's is a good example) have file names in the Ship Scripts, HP Scripts *AND* the model/icon folder/file names that conflict and overwrite each other.  If one was doing a HP/Script update and the model/icon shared the name of another (Phoenix, Excelsior, and Sovereign are all good examples of instances, but are far from the only ones), would cloning the model folder name/icon name be permissible, if the original model file(s) are unaltered?

Also, for BC Remastered (VonFrank's work), there are times where shared textures and/or High Res textures need to be moved to the core model folder to load the textures; assuming the files are unaltered, is this permissible?

Offline MSR1701

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2023, 10:54:52 AM »
Handle - MSR1701

As of 2023/09/07, 99% of my efforts are to update previous/older mods (within the requirements of the Master Permissions thread as noted) to run with BC Remastered (VonFrank) and/or to correct for KM (example, if the original archive file was packaged incorrectly and crashes the game on install (see the Mantis Class mod).  Whenever possible, I reach out to the original creators, and if anyone would like to contact me, please feel free, my intent is to honor the original creators as I learn how BC Modding works...

...so that I can eventually release and script PD models, with the intent to eventually learn modeling for all new BC Models (mainly TMP era, but time will tell, lol).

For any of my releases, provided the original author's wishes are honored (contacting, crediting, not altering files, etc.), you are free to do with my works as you will.  Note that I emphasize the following the Master Permissions thread, as these modders did the work that we all enjoy, I am making it available (within permissions noted) for newer users, and to learn BC Modding.

Thank you for your time, and here's to another 20 years of BC Modding!

MSR1701

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2023, 04:56:49 PM »
Hi there, Hobbs/ussgriffin here from SFRD.

I don't recall giving any permission for my ships to be altered.
And I'm a bit peeved that my ships are on game front under the creator name of MSR1701...

I made the ships, textured them, and hard pointed them.
I should be credited at least, and I should have been asked if it were ok to edit them.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"