Author Topic: TREK XI - Images, Footage, Trailers, Enterprise, Discussion, etc. Thread (WARNING: SPOILERS)  (Read 99482 times)

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
well i was reading trektoday.com and it looks like the movie will be based around the maiden voyage of the Enterpise 1701, by linking certain information in articles.
It seems Bruce Greenwood has been casted to play Christopher Pike and in another article i have taken this paragraph..

"Paramount will be showing teasers for the film attached to other major movies. Latino Review recently reported Paramount is already working on a first teaser trailer that will show the Enterprise being built. It's not yet known when the teaser will be released."

So there it is, the enterprise being built, so it pretty much seems that it will be centered around or just before the First episode of TOS, i may be wrong, im not that well versed in the history of TOS.

In other news casting and character updates

Rachel Nichols - seemed to confirm she will be in the new Star Trek film possibly playing the role of Yeoman Rand or Nurse Chapel.

Chris Hemsworth - 24-year old Hemsworth will be playing the role of George Samuel Kirk Sr., the father of James T. Kirk (confirmed)

Jennifer Morrison - It's not yet certain what role Morrison will be playing but it seems to be Carol Marcus, but Another possibility for Morrison would be to play Yeoman Janice Rand.

Winona Ryder - Spock's Mother (confirmed)

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
Winona Ryder in Star Trek?  :lol:

Offline lint

haha yeah, i know,
lets just hope she does'nt go around stealing tricorders  :lol:

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
haha yeah, i know,
lets just hope she does'nt go around stealing tricorders  :lol:

LOL!! Imagine Kirk looking for his communicator, Winona looking all innocent, then suddenly you hear Scotty's muffled voice coming from her purse:
"Captain? Are you OK?"

RhVaurek

lmao yeh that would be a great moment for Trek history :D

By the sounds of it though, if the Enterprise is been built thats before the first Captain Robert April who was before Christopher Pike. So its a few years before Kirk at least. I think I only ever saw like 2 references to Robert April one in a Trek encyclopedia and another was in the Animated series I think. It would be great to have a cool space dock launch of the first enterprise though (proper enterprise not some NX class wannabe :D)

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Hang on:
Chris Hemsworth - 24-year old Hemsworth
Will play the father of Kirk?
How old is Kirk going to be? 4? 6? And already an assignment on the Enterprise?

Even Chris Pine is older than that (27)! How is that for believability?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
this movie is just gonna be a huge mess :(
i'm very disappointed with what theyre sloppily trying to do...

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
Hang on:
Chris Hemsworth - 24-year old Hemsworth
Will play the father of Kirk?
How old is Kirk going to be? 4? 6? And already an assignment on the Enterprise?

Even Chris Pine is older than that (27)! How is that for believability?
I'll bet he's in a flashback scene

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
And I'm fearing that it isn't.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline lint

yeah, i hafta agree with mleo,
if it was a flash back scene im certain they would have casted and named the actors playing the younger child versions.
But from the information available at the moment we have..

-a REALLY old spock

-The construction and launch of the original and FIRST Enterprise (in my opinion :P)

-Christopher Pike (perhaps he will be in his beeping shoe box in a scene leading up to kirk taking command of the enterprise?)

-Kirk's Father (which is noted in that article to only have been mentioned in a couple novels which in my opinion is'nt "canon")

-Carol Marcus (i find it hard to believe he encounted her this early on)

-The incredible hulk (or whatever his name is) casted as some romulan which suggests some kind of romulan/human conflict, perhaps Balance of Terror part 2...sigh

So far they are not winning my confidence considering i recall in an interview that they said they would stay true to trek canon and the Trek Time Line, if they are gonna deviate from it why not throw in a few never before seen ship designs (i would'nt mind a few new ones).
And hell, in true prequel tradition why not do something to drive the old fans away even more and throw jar jar briggs in for good measure?

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.

And hell, in true prequel tradition why not do something to drive the old fans away even more and throw jar jar briggs in for good measure?

Because Neelix was quite enough of an annoyance for one universe, no need to borrow disasters from alernate ones :)
I agree with you guys that Trek XI is starting to sound more and more like a big mess. It's all due to the damn trends - some idiotic manager sitting in his leather chair calculated that prequels are now 'in' and that this way, new Trek will make a few more $.
The result? We'll see.. I've been skeptical about the idea from day one. TOS Trek era has become a SciFi classic, and shouldn't be touched.
If they can't come up with something really new and original, they shouldn't do anything imo. Because this is starting to sound like a fan script written by a 12-year old..

RhVaurek

I have a horrible feeling that once this is released and I get the Movie (which knowing me I will whether great or bad because its Trek) I will have it alongside my Special edition I - X set and just think "No it doesnt belong with them..." and in the bin it will go!

Offline lint

I agree with you guys that Trek XI is starting to sound more and more like a big mess. It's all due to the damn trends - some idiotic manager sitting in his leather chair calculated that prequels are now 'in' and that this way, new Trek will make a few more $.
[/quote]

haha, yeah,
Seeing as they are exploiting trek because of the trends, how about we all team up and get in on the exploitation aswell for the sake of some quick cash.. Here are a couple ideas i propose.

Star Trek Survivor : Castaways are stranded on a desert island with Wesley Crusher, Naomi Wildman and Neelix, The last castaway to withstand these 3 without trying to make a swim for it or commiting suicide wins.

Trek Idol : Judges search the planet for the most talented Contestants to compete in a throat numbing, Jaw Dropping competition to find the best Captain Kirk impersonation ever, The winner will receive a contract to perform the next un-inspiring,  un-motivated, "sounds like your falling asleep" voice acting for the next (yet to be planned) Blockbusting Bethesda Trek Game.

Reality shows are still in right?..

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
Now now, folks, calm down, please.

You do realize it's JJ Abrams and most of the creative team from LOST and Alias doing this new Trek movie, yes?

Cool, now, apart from me not being able to stand LOST, I'm a big fan of Alias and quite Frankly, Abrams/Orci/Kurtzman have never let me down story-wise.

So, I'm just saying that it would be logical, that if the actor, playing Kirk's father is younger than the actor playing Kirk it will a) be a flashback-scene (very likely since it's not a film for trek-geeks like us) or it will involve some sort of time-travel (yawn).

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Winona Ryder.

Dear god.

The final nail was already hammered into the Trek coffin when 'Enterprise' started. And with all the Trek failures since then, excluding BC of course, how many more nails do they need in the Trek coffin? Enough is enough. If they arn't going to come up with any new good Trek stuff, then 'stop poking the poor suffering donkey with a stick to see if it moves and let it die' with whatever dignity it has left.

:arms:  :hurr
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline lint

yeah, i do agree that JJ abrams is a good writer,
But trek has a certain individual charm about it i think, not everyone can right for it.
Its like if you went up to shakespeare for example, and said, "ok, its proven you are a master at what you do, possibly the best there has ever been and the plays you have written and published will be acted out and admired for generations to come, But could it be possible for you to go back and study The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer and write an additional set of stories leading up to the journey the 29 pilgrims set upon to canterbury",

The point i am trying to make there is that Chaucer had written a classic that had its own appeal because of the way it was written and the style he was known for, he was deffinatly the greatest poet of his time circa 1360-1400 AD and his writing still carried on from years to come and still does,

But then comes shakespeare around 150 years later and in my opinion is a much better writer than chaucer and a much more accomplished one, but if he was to write a "prequel" of the Canterbury tales, it would have most likely been his worst ever work, mainly because One master of writing from one era cant come along and do a prequel to a story Written by another Master of writing, and in my opinion a prequel should not even be suggested unless you KNOW it will do justice to the original story

The same comparison could be used for ST:XI,
Gene Roddenberry had written TOS and the following movies based around that series with his unique vision and style and he was the master of scifi in his era. unlike star wars, Gene had a vision for Trek based on all Races working together as one, Blacks, Whites, Asians, Russians, thats what was different from the other scifi movies/series from the time, it was his unique vision.

Now, JJ Abrams comes along and decides step on the very foundation of what Trek was based on and evolved from, In all right Abrams is a Master of writing for his time and has written some great series and movies, BUT, i dont see a real point in taking something Like the original Trek and write a prequel unless it would do Genes vision justice, which for him would be impossible, He is from a Different Era of "hollywood" and writing, It is suitable for the tv shows and movies of today, but not for 40 years ago, Gene had a message when he created star trek and maybe over the years that message has been forgotten a little and over looked when you watch the more recent series,
But one place it can always be seen is in The Original Series, and IMHO Abrams has gotten a little too close to Gene's original vision, And by the time the Full plot of this movie is made known its a good chance that he could have already ventured into territory he should'nt have,
I would'nt have had a problem if he did a movie based after Nemesis, or even based on freakin Enterprise
I think Gene himself said, Star Trek always needs to move forward, not backwards, and one thing i think he never would have wanted is a movie written and produced 40 years on, re-creating his dream of a perfect future where mankind has outgrown racism, violence, greed and everything else that we are currently plagued with,
He would'nt have wanted his original vision re-made into a Shoot'em up, Action packed, thriller with a love scene or two thrown in for emotional content.

They can do whatever they want with trek, but please, Leave the Classics Alone..

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
so you essentially want 60's trek in the 21st century? fail.

heck, be a little open-minded, folks.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Glenn

• Starfleet Command
  • Cookies: 190
  • Captain - USS Explorer
    • Captain Elgy's Star Trek Files
so you essentially want 60's trek in the 21st century? fail.

heck, be a little open-minded, folks.

I agree with BlaXXer on this one, I'm gonna reserve judgement until I see the film. I just hope CBS Paramount make it big budget and pull out all the stops. If this next film flops at the box office, it will most certainly spell the end of Star Trek.  :?

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.
I hope your optimism pays out..
I don't think 60's trek now would be a good idea either. But I think this is a problematic one, at best.. They should leave Kirk-era Trek be, and come up with something new. Personally, I'm not too excited about seeing the old crew represented by new actors.. it will definitely take away something from their personalities, imo.
At any rate, if it's a flop, there's always the next one :)
And if it isn't, hey, I'd LOVE to be proven wrong on this one..

Offline newman

• Hello, Jerry.

Star Trek Survivor : Castaways are stranded on a desert island with Wesley Crusher, Naomi Wildman and Neelix, The last castaway to withstand these 3 without trying to make a swim for it or commiting suicide wins.

I have an even better idea; a castaway is stranded on a desert island with 7 of 9. I'll volunteer for the pilot show, to get things going ;)
Let's see how long will I make it, hahaha