Author Topic: My most concerning question!  (Read 5490 times)

Offline RifleMan80

• BC Veteran since February, 2002
  • Cookies: 136
  • BC Machinima Bridge Commander Elder (Feb 02)
    • Rifle's Bridge Commander Machinima
My most concerning question!
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »
 I have had this question in my head for months!
Which ships would win in a head to head fight?

Miranda vs Constitution?

Nebula vs Galaxy?

All 4 are comparable in design however, as much of a harcore trekkie as I am, i srill cannot figure this one out? What do you guys think?

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: My most concerning question!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 05:56:03 PM »
It depends on who first gets into a nebula (the fluffy kind) and who remembers that there is a "z" axis first.

So, the best captain and crew wins.
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
The Nebula and Miranda are lighter vessels than the Constitution and Galaxy.

Whilst they have similar components, they don't have the same power output. The Nebula was meant to be smaller (R.Steinbach), but forgot that they needed to scale the windows and bridge module as well as the ship.

Anyway the nebula has smaller impulse engines (weird, considering the galaxy suffered complaints of them being too small), reduced fire-arcs, sub-optimal nacelle placement, and reduced hull space for deuterium storage, so a shorter operational range.

The miranda is simply smaller than the constitution, even though it has similar weapons, it wasn't given the same warp core. It's a smaller ship in a different capability range.

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 05:06:28 AM »
Tactics plays a part as well. A good strategist in a nebula can beat a terrible one in a Galaxy.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:06:39 AM »
Be that as it may, I thought the Nebulas and Mirandas were the 'smaller cousins' to the Galaxy and the Constitution class.

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 07:26:37 AM »
Nebula and Miranda will be a lot more maneuverable than Galaxy and Constitution tho they have less powerful weapons and shields, I's been said that victory depends on commander, we've ssen numerous huge ships defeated by almost 2 times smaller vessels ;)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
But with equal commanders and crews in a striaght up fight the Galaxy and Constitution would pound the Nebula and Miranda into dust.

Not to say that victory for a nebula or miranda is impossible under certain circumstances, but it's statistically less likely.

Offline Wolf

• Cookies: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 03:19:08 PM »
Was the Miranda not referred to as a faster and more powerful ship in STII, because of the Miranda being a rather new design compared to the ageing Constitution?

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
 I still got money on the Galaxy and Constitution! A good commander would make use of the vast array of weapons the size to use as an advantage. But even still, depends on whos commanding!

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 07:42:37 PM »
Nebula and Miranda will be a lot more maneuverable than Galaxy and Constitution tho they have less powerful weapons and shields, I's been said that victory depends on commander, we've ssen numerous huge ships defeated by almost 2 times smaller vessels ;)

Perhaps, but the Galaxy does have one big impulse on the stardrive. As far as I know the difference in mass between the Galaxy and Nebula isn't that different. So as well as being more powerful it should be more manuverable. Also the galaxy can serperate making 2 targets unlike the nebula. But, wern't some Nebulas fitted with Quantums?

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 08:34:10 PM »
 i was just about to say that about the Saucer separation on the galaxy. I believe that the stardrive frees up at least 4 more phaser arrays when the saucer is not included. Also, the mass is just a bit lighter with just the stardrive than the nebula class is . With the Miranda and the Conni, I am still reading about the disadvantages of the conni and miranda. I believe now it would be a stalemate between the two.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 02:40:49 AM »

Perhaps, but the Galaxy does have one big impulse on the stardrive. As far as I know the difference in mass between the Galaxy and Nebula isn't that different. So as well as being more powerful it should be more manuverable. Also the galaxy can serperate making 2 targets unlike the nebula. But, wern't some Nebulas fitted with Quantums?

And nice, big, fat weapons pods?

Offline El

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 123
  • Former Vice Admin
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 06:28:33 AM »
The Nebula is a modular vessel meaning it can be adapted to a specific role.
Its not possible to generalise about if it could beat a Galaxy or not as it depends on the mission payload.

As for the Miranda and Connie, well I'd say the Miranda is more durable as its still in service right to the end of the Dominion War era. In a fight, not sure.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 07:00:43 AM »
i was just about to say that about the Saucer separation on the galaxy. I believe that the stardrive frees up at least 4 more phaser arrays when the saucer is not included. Also, the mass is just a bit lighter with just the stardrive than the nebula class is . With the Miranda and the Conni, I am still reading about the disadvantages of the conni and miranda. I believe now it would be a stalemate between the two.

From what i can see, after separation the stardrive only reveals 1 more phaser array.

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »
 Each corner of the Stardrive part where it attaches to the Saucer, there are Several emitters there.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
if you a referring to these 2 emitters, im sure they can be used when the saucer section is attached, upon separation the stardrive reveals one more emitter and thats all. As shown below.

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »
 No, not those. Those are Phaser Awways. There are several more that were stated on one of the Star Trek TNG episodes. I observed durring the TNG Episode " Best of Both Worlds Part 1" That the Galaxy Class has a Phaser Emitter in the same spot where the photon torpedo bay is.
Source: Memory Alpha

And in the TNG episode "Arsenal of Freedom" when the stardrive is not with the saucer,
this area here

I believe the galaxy, when separated, has all but one advantage over the Nebula class, whoas commanding. As with the conni and miranda, I say again,a a stalemate.

A True Riker's Beard!

Offline Aeries

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 10:51:56 AM »
I would like to point out that trek's cgi/effects guys VERY often foiled up on things like phasers... I honestly don't see it as physically possible for the forward torpedo bay to double as a phaser array... Especially whilst firing torpedos simultaneously. :/

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 10:58:57 AM »
I honestly don't see it as physically possible for the forward torpedo bay to double as a phaser array... Especially whilst firing torpedos simultaneously. :/
You clearly don't know sir the marvels of multiphasic construction!

Offline RifleMan80

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
 Yea, i was gonna say the same thing.

A True Riker's Beard!