Author Topic: Dauntless Class ships, canon?  (Read 1728 times)

Online cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Dauntless Class ships, canon?
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:31:53 PM »
I was watching a number of videos on youtube and then I cam across this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYA7yShrsfo

At 0:26, you will see a Dauntless Class starship fly by...now, this is in the series Enterprise (ENT - Azati Prime).  That scene is supposedly in the future along with the Enterprise-J.  If the Dauntless was just an alien's imagination in VOY "Hope and Fear"...how would it be a reality in that episode of ENT?

I'm curious about that, what do you think?

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
Re: Dauntless Class ships, canon?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:13:17 PM »
Yeah, In ditl.org review section you can read this under that episodes YATI.

Quote from: ditl.org
Take a close look at the ships in the future battle. Daniels tells us that this is happening 400 years from Archer's time, i.e. 2554. Yet one of the ships we see flying past the window is a Prometheus class first seen in Voyager's "Message in a Bottle", set in 2374. So Starfleet is using ship designs that are 180 years old? I guess the war must have taken a pretty heavy toll. Worse still, just as Daniels is telling Archer what the name of the battle is, we see the Dauntless from Voyager's "Hope and Fear" fly past! The Dauntless, remember, was a fake Starfleet ship built by Arturis. I guess Starfleet must be so desperate that they're using ships that don't even exist!

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
I have a theory on this. Perhaps the Dauntless design itself is a known Starfleet design even in Janeways time. As we all know, ships of for example the Galaxy Class had modular bridge designs meaning they may not look the same on all ships even of the same class.

Perhaps the Dauntless used an exterior that was known to Starfleet (and Voyager), through the use of Arturis "Particle syntesis" or whatever method he used. Some aspects of the interior was designed or altered in this manner to make it believeable as a Starfleet vessel, while other sections such as engineering and the bridge were simply "altered" to look like a Starfleet vessel.

Simply put: It's not entirely impossible that Arturis may have gained access to a Starfleet database, either through one of Voyager's shuttles, or while on the Voyager itself. We don't know how his particle syntesis system works or if he was able to "transmit" instructions on how the ship was suppose to be reconfigured, prior to his "discovery" of the lost message from Starfleet. If the ship is suppose to be experimental, and as such been either newly constructed, or retrofitted for experimentation, the Voyager crew wouldn't be completely suspicious of it's design and layout. And if it's a known design by Starfleet, they may have reused it in a later century, much like the reuse of the NX Class --> Akira Class. Perhaps the Dauntless Class of the 24th century was as durable and reliable as the Excelsior/Miranda classes had been during the latter half of the 23rd century, and well into the 24th century.

Real world explanation: Visual effects artists became lazy and sloppy and just through in a bunch of ship designs that looked cool :P
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 08:08:51 PM »
Another theory I heard on this.
When Voyager returned a lot of the data collected was made public.
Starfleet design department found the Dauntless an intriguing design so they decide to make it real.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
Another theory I heard on this.
When Voyager returned a lot of the data collected was made public.
Starfleet design department found the Dauntless an intriguing design so they decide to make it real.

As good of a theory as any other... I'm sure any data Voyager collected regarding the "Quantum Slipstream Drive" would've been extremely interesting to Starfleet R&D.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Starforce2

• Master Hardpointer
  • Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 882
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:20:10 PM »
How old is the reliant and excelcior in the Dominion war? Perhaps the Promethius proves to be not only reliable but upgradeable as well. Also, isn't the galaxy designed with a lifetime of 100 years for the spaceframe? (with refits) While 180 years is pushing it, it's not unrealistic to have pulled a prommie out of mothballs for a battle. Do we know where that battle was btw? (was it near a major federation home system?) If something similar were to happen with the borg or dominion, pretty much anything that could fire a torpedo would be called to service.
I just realised something. I've released over 300 fully modded ships for bridge commander. Bow to your master :D
Read my mod blog!
http://bcs-tng.com/forums/index.php?action=viewblog;u=1129

Offline laguardia528

• Cookies: 4
  • Inspiration comes to those who haven't got a clue
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:19 PM »
it was called Procyon V or something like that. And being against the sphere builders means that it was a big battle, so they probably would have pulled older ships like the prom out of mothballs.

Online cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »
Real world explanation: Visual effects artists became lazy and sloppy and just through in a bunch of ship designs that looked cool :P

That's probably it. :D

I can see Starforce's point about bringing old ships back into service in time of war, but I'm trying to ascertain whether this is to be considered canon or not because it was in that episode of Enterprise.  It could be that the Alien (I forget his name) just made it all up for his ploy, or it could be buried somewhere in Voyager's database as plans.  But, it's curious that the registry would be NX-01-A.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 07:08:22 AM »
Perhaps Starfleet did indeed devolop slipstream technology and used the Dauntless' plans that Voyager brought back. As we saw a normal starship layout such as Voyager's wasn't really up to the task of travelling using that technology so why not use a ship design that was built for it?

As to her age by the time the battle took place, which won't happen in the primary univserse now thanks to Archer, the Dauntless Class maybe the like the Miranda and Exclesior class. As already stated quick and easy to build then easy to maintain and refit.

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
I'd consider it cannon. Open to interpretation as to HOW it came to be, but cannon none the less.

Offline blaXXer

• Your Leader
  • Cookies: 96
  • The proud result of slave labor
    • blaXXer.design
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:46:29 AM »
That timeline has been erased anyways. So non-canon in the main timeline ;)

YOU suck, get a life, moran.

COME TO MY PLACE clicketh me!