Author Topic: Comparing the 1701 Enterprises  (Read 3502 times)

Offline newman

• Cookies: 33
  • Hello, Jerry.
Re: Comparing the 1701 Enterprises
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
For me, the D is the best trek ship, ever.
As for JJ's, my major crit would be that the neck section seems to be too far to the back, making the deflector
stick too far to the front - makes it look a bit awkward imo. I'll judge the movie when it arrives, as for the enterprise
design  i much prefer the Constitution refit from the TMP era to JJ's.

Offline Kirk

• Cookies: 139
    • My Released Mods
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 09:03:50 AM »
I'm hoping they'll keep the phaser and torpedo sounds of the original.
No, no, no. Dalek and I had this discussion before on WLM. Those sounds would be not only completely out of place in the world JJ has created, but they're annoying as hell. Sci-Fi sfx used in the 60s have no place in the movie world of today.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 05:04:35 AM »
I'm hoping they'll keep the phaser and torpedo sounds of the original.
No, no, no. Dalek and I had this discussion before on WLM. Those sounds would be not only completely out of place in the world JJ has created, but they're annoying as hell. Sci-Fi sfx used in the 60s have no place in the movie world of today.

They'd not be out of place at all, why would they? Also it would be a nice nod to the original. If they've kept the Red Alert sound and the computer voice what's wrong with using the original weapon sounds, nothing in my view.

Remember in Transformers they kept the transforming sound from G1, best heard at the beginning when Blackout transforms, and it didn't seem out of place and was a nice nod to us G1 fans and made us smile.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 07:00:06 AM »
Heres a situation. Imagine the Sovereign. They have big ass phasers. Now imagine those big ass phasers firing with TOS sounds. It would be digusting. Same goes for this big ass JJPrise. This ship is top of the line in the JJ-verse so it would have the biggest weapons at the time.

Think of a huge dog making a chihuahua yap. Not right is it?
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
Well, after all the TOS Phaser were (and ARE) Top Of the line Weaponry in that timeline. (both JJ and "normal"). And try that image you made the otherway round.  :?
And nothing is wrong with those "old 60s sounds", they still used the old StarWars sounds in the new Movies. Ok, a bit cleaned up and stuff, but still the recogniceble.
After all, I would love to hear the old TOS Phasers and Torps and not some "new cool somewhatlikeinXYZ" sounds

Offline Dalek

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 08:15:10 AM »
I'm saying the JJPrise even in an alternate timeline set in the 2250-60's, would need "new" sounds. I mean, its new technology. And using Majel's voice as the computer doesn't mean everything else should stay the same. Nurse Chapel would still exist in this alternate universe. No Chapel, no Majel computer voice.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Maybe thats one of the points I never understand: Why does new stuff ("reboots", "reloads", what the heck?) always need to be totally differend concerning such things. (eg. BSG, I really liked the old series, but the new just doesn't grow to me (whas that what i wanted to say??) Anyway, The Kelvin should really have different sounds for their Weapons, but I still think the END should have something atleast reminding of the old Sounds.

Offline Dalek

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:38 AM »
Everyone changes things because of the current generation. Teenagers these days don't want weird squeky noises that can destroy starships. They want action. They want explosions. Not standing around with whistles.

- Lorien

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
Everyone changes things because of the current generation. Teenagers these days don't want weird squeky noises that can destroy starships. They want action. They want explosions. Not standing around with whistles.

Sad, but true. Nowadays nobody seems to be interested by a good story. Anything is about Explosions.
Making a jump back to the Ship. I think JJ should have seen the END "In a mirror darkly" episode. THAT was what a Conni in action looks like for me. The new Ship is just... to "new" in its look. (Same point as before with the other reboots.) I really hope that the ST11 will at least be abit like what trek used to be, so that I can be happy with it.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »

Imagine that with TOS phasers. Much less dramatic.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
Moot point since it seems the new Enterprise uses burst fire phasers from the ball turrets.  And finally it seems that they're paying attention to the fact that those are TURRETS.  The Enterprise can, quite literally, open a fire storm with EIGHT phasers firing forward at one time.  EIGHT.  IMO, that's beyond a can of whoop-ass.  That's a whole case, ladies and gentlemen.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Kirk

• My Released Mods
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
A whole case of Ginger Ale if the TOS phaser sounds are used. :P

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Just a point though, the sounds may still have some connections to the original sounds.  After all, Ben Burtt is in charge of the sound in the new movie.  The man is a sound effects genius.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »
I am just going to judge this film on its own merrits. If its a good story then it will stand on its own. If its not, then its going to flop.

Here here. Fed up with all the BS that some things are less canon than others etc. If its a good story, i'll enjoy it. End of post.

Jesus, no kidding. The redesign of the Enterprise was epic. The movie was epic. The plotline, was epic. I've heard waaaay too many Trekkers bitching and moaning about stuff not being canon, the ship design being wrong and ruining the series, etc, etc. If all y'all bitchers were true Trek fans you'd appreciate the fact that they have rebooted the series in an absolutely extraordinary way, and now can continue it in a different timeline from the beginning of the tale.

:arms: