Author Topic: Enterprise and the Dominion war?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
Enterprise and the Dominion war?
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:46 AM »
Where was the Enterprise during the war? What battles did Star Fleets newest ship and one of a very few of a class get into, OR was it kept on the other side of star fleet so they didn't risk losing such a valuable ship?

We know according to BC that the Soveriegn was mothballed after testing, so it wasn't probably used during the war at all, and as far as I read the Enterprise was the other other Sov built during the war, heck there isn't a mention of anymore built even though there had to be at least 1 or 2 more built I would imagine near the end of the war

Offline kitkat27

• Cookies: 0
Re: Enterprise and the Dominion war?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 02:38:56 AM »
There are a number of books that address the involvement of the Enterprise-E and the dominion war. However, it never appeared onscreen on ds9 (nor any other sovereign class) which was intentional as the producers wanted a the Enterprise-E (and sovereign class) to be a special ship singular to the movies. There are a couple of references to E such as in "Trials and Tribble-ations" they say there are 6 ships named enterprise (excluding the NX-01 of course). Also if the sov class was anything like the galaxy they would make many more~ seeing how many galaxies there were in ds9.   

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:27:56 AM »
Quoting Geordi La Forge: "The Enterprise-E is the most advanced ship in the fleet, we should be on the frontlines"

The producers decision to keep the Enterprise-E (and the Sovereign Class) solely for movie purposes was a major screw-up, considering they decided to have a 3+ year long story arc regarding the Dominion War. And the existence of the Enterprise-E is known BEFORE the outbreak of the war. We should've seen the Enterprise atleast once, or for that matter, mentioned quite a bit more.

The Sovereign and Defiant Classes are among the most advanced in the fleet, as well as the Prometheus Class. And yet, in most CGI scenes we end up seeing Excelsior, Miranda and Galaxy Classes being blown up left and right. Budget purposes ofcourse.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
*waits patiently for TNG and DS9's remaster*
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Judge King

• USAF Phoenix CO
  • Cookies: 18
  • Hail to the king of battle!
    • XSGCOM Wiki
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:03:50 PM »
Quoting Geordi La Forge: "The Enterprise-E is the most advanced ship in the fleet, we should be on the frontlines"

The producers decision to keep the Enterprise-E (and the Sovereign Class) solely for movie purposes was a major screw-up, considering they decided to have a 3+ year long story arc regarding the Dominion War. And the existence of the Enterprise-E is known BEFORE the outbreak of the war. We should've seen the Enterprise atleast once, or for that matter, mentioned quite a bit more.

The Sovereign and Defiant Classes are among the most advanced in the fleet, as well as the Prometheus Class. And yet, in most CGI scenes we end up seeing Excelsior, Miranda and Galaxy Classes being blown up left and right. Budget purposes ofcourse.

The irony is that there were no Galaxy class ships destroyed in any of the Dominion War battles.
Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
They get their asses wooped though (First battle of Chin'toka: cOWP array gouging out bits of the saucer, neck and underside of secondary hull).
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »
The irony is that there were no Galaxy class ships destroyed in any of the Dominion War battles.

There were a few that got caught by the breen drainer. IIRC

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Although we never saw any Galaxy Class ships get destroyed during the war, atleast one Galaxy Class (the USS Odyssey) was destroyed before the war. And as the combined Federation / Klingon / Romulan Alliance fleets lost hundreds of ships during the war, it can be reasonably assumed that a few of them were Galaxy Classes. Especially after the Breen joined the war, and essentially made all the ships useless for quite some time, against their drainer weapon.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
IIRC uss Cortez was a Galaxy class and I remember Sisko mentioned to someone that it's been destroyed by dominion forces also strike force lead by Defiant in 'Sacrifice of Angels' didn't make it and most of them were destroyed by overwhelming dominion fleet, we clearly could see few Galaxy ships there.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
Re: USS Cortez. During the battle to retake Deep Space Nine, I recall Sisko saying that the "USS Cortez is suppose to be protecting our flanks". I dont recall anything said about it possibly being destroyed.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:02:53 PM »
Well I think it was somewhere around mid-7th season but I'm not 100% sure

EDIT : I've checked Memory Alpha and here's what they say : Later that year, the Cort?z was reported missing while patrolling the Cardassian border, presumed to be destroyed by a squadron of Jem'Hadar fighters. After the report of her loss, the Defiant searched the area for survivors for almost six hours. (DS9: "Far Beyond the Stars")

Offline kitkat27

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
IIRC uss Cortez was a Galaxy class and I remember Sisko mentioned to someone that it's been destroyed by dominion forces also strike force lead by Defiant in 'Sacrifice of Angels' didn't make it and most of them were destroyed by overwhelming dominion fleet, we clearly could see few Galaxy ships there.

Memory alpha says the Cortez is Saladin/Larsen class and had a crew of 400 ~ while galaxies had 1000
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Cort%C3%A9z

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
yeah but it also says it has a registry number equivalent with TOS era as well as Saadin class which is 23rd century vessel from TOS era and I highly doubt these would be around during Dominion War,

btw. didn't Sisko order Galaxy wings to prosede with attack on Cardassian/Dominion fleet during the re-take of DS9 and right then he mentioned about Cortez (in Galaxy class wing) ??? 

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
yeah but it also says it has a registry number equivalent with TOS era as well as Saadin class which is 23rd century vessel from TOS era and I highly doubt these would be around during Dominion War,

btw. didn't Sisko order Galaxy wings to prosede with attack on Cardassian/Dominion fleet during the re-take of DS9 and right then he mentioned about Cortez (in Galaxy class wing) ??? 

Yes he did. Memory Alpha's entry also stated that the Cortez was one of the FIRST ships to break through the enemy lines. I highly doubt an antequated Saladin Class would've even been present during the battle, much less be the first to break through enemy lines.
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:07:28 AM »
To be honest I don't think Starfleet would have risked the flagship in any major fleet engagements with the Dominion.

Imagine the PR disastor if the Enterprise had been destroyed or even damaged by the enemy and the PR triumph it would have been for the Dominion!

A real world example of this is during the Falklands War. The QE2 was used a troop ship just like so many British liners had been through various wars, including her namesake the Queen Elizabeth in WW2. Now to prevent a PR disastor, in that a ship with the same name as the current Monarch being sunk by enemy action, the MoD said the QE2 was not to enter the war zone and transferred her troops to other vessels only half to the Falklands.

Other evidence seems to suggest, from Star Trek Insurrection, the the Enterprise was used to put out 'brush fires' and other tense diplomatic situations with minor powers during the war.

Offline Nebula

• Administrator
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 11:32:32 AM »
heh I took that to mean they hunted renegade bug ships from the dom fleet....
but I guess that also works...

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
I was under the impression the cortez was an exelsior class :?
I miss :bigdance:

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »
most of the action on DS9 involved the 5th 7th and 9th fleets, maybe the Enterprise was in a different one at the time.

Offline Bones

• SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
I was under the impression the cortez was an exelsior class :?

I always thought Cortez is a Galaxy class maybe because Scotchy put USS Cortez into his Galaxy pack :D

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Cookies: 5
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »
Because the Enterprise is the flagship of Starfleet, perhaps she was in the 1st fleet?
Did you know I'm on Twitter?