Author Topic: Borg are no more  (Read 1897 times)

Offline undedavenger

• It's simple. I reek of awesomeness, and you don't.
  • Cookies: 14
    • Official Star Trek Century Myspace!
Re: Borg are no more
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 12:07:49 PM »
Keep in mind then, that you are risking adding movie novelizations to canon. And the Gerenrations one still had Soren shooting Kirk in the back, for example. The Star Trek II novelizationj had David and Saavik getting busy. And Spck and Saavik getting busy! (Little vulcan/romulan slut!) Also, Saavik was hinted to be pregnant at the end of that novelization.

So you see, those books cover additional material before, during, and after the film, and they are commissioned by Paramount. So you have to be careful what you readily accept.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
Movie novelisations are canon with their own creative touches but in the end they're sitll the same. It's the details that don't happen in the movies which are uncanon, for example Kirk getting shot. But the end result is that he dies, which is canon.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
I realize that, and am not trying to argue that point. I just used it as illustration. The changes I mentioned in the ST3 novelization would not have changed the actual film, even had they been added. And as you stated, even the difference in Kirk's death would not have really changed the film. They only changed it for audience perception, because most audiences cannot understand the poetic justice of Starfleet's greatest hero dying in such an ignominious fashion.

The point is, even Paramount cannot decide on the rules or implementation of its own canon. Say what you will about Lucas' huge control of the Star Wars franchise, at least he keeps it in pretty good order. If Paramount is to revive Star Trek to its previous popularity levels, the first thing they must do is appoint a sitting executive or "council" to oversee the direction of all facets of the ST franchise. Roddenberry, Harve Bennett, and Rick Berman have all filled this type of post. It was when ST was turned over to the bean-counters that it failed so utterly.
"Books are not canon, only what you see on screen. Yes, even the horrible Voyager episode where they go past warp 10 and have crazy lizard babies."

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
It's a shame TREK can't enjoy the Same Unity as the Expanded star wars universe. It amazes me how cohesive and recognised the expanded SW universe is, hell, Lucas is supportive, he even took aayla secura from Tales of the jedi and threw her into Episode 2. TREK expanded universe is unsalvagable as a unified "Prime" universe, but we could "section" it as alternate universes and accept each has its own canon, pocket books/dc comics/marvel comics/fan films/STO, i mean Trek has clearly set a presidence for multible alternating universes, why not just flow with that explanation and leave it alone, Y'know?

Offline undedavenger

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
What would make a great statement (and probably some money) would be for Paramount to determine the canon events, and then republish all the novels that agree with it in new editions. Ignore the rest. Put them out as a matched set for all I care. That is about the only way to reconcile the books and give them legitimacy.

Offline MR. Nevyn

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
I don't think the Borg are really gone as far as the novels are concerned. In a few years from no they'll suddenly make a move again regardless of what previous books told us.

It's just like the Sith in Star Wars, whenever the writers don't know what to do next, a new Sith Lord suddenly pops up. One can't help but wonder where they all come from. Is there some higher power that makes Sith by the dozen?

As far as the Destiny books go, I can't say I like them. Erika Hernandez and the Caeliar function a one big Deus ex machina, Picard is out of character by being so angsty all the time and Dax and the Aventine seem to be there for no other reason than to give Pocet Books the opportunity to start a new series of book.

Offline Hellsgate

• Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
  • Cookies: 2
  • Administrator, "Star Trek: New Worlds"
    • =^=Star Trek: New Worlds=^=
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
I'm with Daystar on this one. Considering how often I like to screw around with (Kelsey Grammer) a.k.a. Captain Morgan Bateson in my Shatnerverse alt-universe, I like to establish my stories above and apart from all other Trek Lit / Graphic Novels and the games noted at Memory Alpha, Memory Beta and "Star Trek: Extended Universe Wiki".

If At First You Don't Succeed, So Much For Skydiving.