Author Topic: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »
 Why Ds9 was the best trek

Its unfortunate that as i talk to many fellow star trek fans among MY sto  fleet and in zone in sto, i have come to realise that not ever fan has watched every series of star trek,and this includes my beloved DS9. Many fans have argued that the Dominion war was the antitheses of Gene Roddenberry's vision, I would argue that although that is technically true, it's because of that ironically,that makes the Dominion war work so well for the series and for star trek in general.

TOS was about hope for the future, that man would overcome its own fears and prejudice and come together as one world to then go out there and represent the best of that united world, and make friends with other worlds spreading our enlightened -cough cough push democracy- ways upon the less civilized worlds out there as well as allow them the wonderful benefit and opportunity to join our ranks and be like us.(hmm...)

TNG represented our golden age of arrogance and self righteous preaching just at the dawn of wolf359, which ironically as critic sfdebris very interestingly pointed out in his review of "Best of Both Worlds",had the same reaction in the fictional world of trek that the real USA did after post 911 long before the actual 911 happened. (life imitating art or visionary thinking?). That is actually the juice of my point- wolf 359 represented the idea that the complacency the federation enjoyed was now at risk of being destroyed, and that sometimes you can't solve every problem diplomatically. 39 ships lost was a sad moment..but earth alone took over 8 million losses to a Breen orbital bombardment in Ds9 near the end of the Dominion war, and that was just one of many losses.

Ds9 was Trek at its darkest,and again,it cannot be argued that that it was the counter proposition of what Roddenberry wanted in Trek, but rather than pretend it was,they used that as the exact nature of what we stood to lose,rather than glorify the war as an awesome "adventure"with lots of explosions as star wars does. No..Ds9 did not glorify the war,it used it as a platform to tell stories that showed the federation at its best,when it had the most to lose and stood on the brink of collapse.No more preaching about the prime directive,no more "oh no my telepathic mother is back on board" being the darkest thing to look forward to dealing with,the Best of Both worlds, while epic to this day,was a short lived threat. The Dominion war arc spanned 2 seasons before concluding with victory for the Federation and its allies.

So to any who have not seen it yet,or fully, WTF is wrong with you? go on youtube..it has most of it.

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
Re: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
Nope. TMP or TNG for me. DS9 was too slow, imo.

As for the whole wolf 359 and 9/11 similarities. ... It's neither of what you say. That's just like the whole Nostradamus thing. By this rationale, say Manhattan became a giant prison, would you then claim Escape from NY was visionary or life imitating art? Of course not. It was a mere coincidence. Both are about terrorist attacks and there's only two ways a human victim can really respond to such an action. Not to mention I'm sure there are people out there who would be offended by likening a tragedy to fiction but eh.

I don't get why you're poking at TNG being about making other races conform to us, and then trying to tell people they should like ds9 just because you do.

Anyway, that's my rant on the subject done.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:27:29 AM »
purists will argue this with you back, forth, up, down, right, left, and sideways.  "first version only" is a common warcry for fandoms of all stripes, because most seqals and reboots suck due to being done for the money, not the fans.

i AM a "niner", btw.  and i still haven't seen em all yet.

btw, interesting wild mass guess from another site:  the phophets and Pa-wraiths are actually jedi and Sith respectivly :P
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:05:49 AM »
i agree - DS9 was the best series IMO...  the first few seasons were kinda lame (as with all shows) but i think it really started getting awesome with the introduction of the Dominion and especially when the Dominion War started up...
it is good to see the Federation getting their asses kicked and not always be the undamaged winners...  and, it brought about a darkness, bleak feeling to the show...  plus all the battle scenes and stuff getting torn up were just cool lol

Offline 1DeadlySAMURAI

• Cookies: 139
  • Do'h
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:56 AM »
DS9 for me as well. Many thanks to Dax for that. :P

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »
I don't get why you're poking at TNG being about making other races conform to us, and then trying to tell people they should like ds9 just because you do.

To get a reaction from people like yourself and talk about something, and it worked.  :evil:

But i COMPLETELY disagree with you anyways. I do believe the 9/11 analogy was correct. Starfleet broke its complacant stance and became more militant. Yes it probably is a natural reaction, but you missed the whole point. It Wasn't a "Nostradomus" like prediction it was the way the series and starfleet as before and after that was analyzed.

I am expressing an opinion not trying to "Make people" agree with me, get a clue Prime. Seriously.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:40 PM »
get a clue Prime. Seriously.
tone down the hostile attitude ok?  Seriously.
Prime wasnt rude to you so you dont need to start being rude to him...  he was expressing an opinion, as were you, so dont attack him personally...

moving on...

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
Yeah your right i apologise. You know me, i can get a lil fiesty  :hithead:

Upon further reflection .i feel really bad now. I sincerely do apologise prime. let me rephrase my comments to " i respectfully disagree" with you.

Offline Psyco Diver

• Cookies: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:56 PM »
I liked it, but it didn't feel very Trek to me like STO, STTNG, and STVOY (although I feel VOY tried combing elements of DS9, but tried keeping the previous style STness but failed unfortantly). I liked how they explored the human condition and how we interact with eachother, different races, how we hate and love. How we fight, but how we want the fighting to be over. It had great trek like episodes, like when Sisko was bouncing through time to his son. Another great episode is how they dragged the Romulans into the war.

Its a real shamed they ruined it with the last season, I mean really, they could have had the whole wormhole alien vs pa'rath(sp?) story arc, but they really really really needed to rewrite it. I mean they really screwed up the Gul Dukat character badly

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
DS9 was the best trek of them all lol and if you really want to get into the show you can't just skim over a few eps you have to watch quite a few AND you got to pay attention closely there are lots of hidden subtleties and IMO it reflects the Federation better than any of the previous series.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
Yeah your right i apologise. You know me, i can get a lil fiesty  :hithead:

Upon further reflection .i feel really bad now. I sincerely do apologise prime. let me rephrase my comments to " i respectfully disagree" with you.
no worries, id be a hypocrite if i said i didnt have my bitchy days lol

DS9 was the best trek of them all lol and if you really want to get into the show you can't just skim over a few eps you have to watch quite a few AND you got to pay attention closely there are lots of hidden subtleties and IMO it reflects the Federation better than any of the previous series.
i agree - tho i think it would be safe to skip over seasons 1 and 2 lol
but season 3 and on (when the dominion came about, just before the Defiant was introduced) then youd really need to watch all the eps to really get the deep feeling of it all...  thats when the show really gets more dark and serious and even the "mighty" federation starts getting its ass kicked, and it has its very sad moments...
plus the battlescenes lol (again) best ever in any series...

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
My favorite series focused on an immovable space station caught in the middle of an epic space war, parked next to a blue gateway from which ships kept comming from and whose commander turned out to be the prophet foretold by the ancient prophesies and brought peace to the sector.

I also really liked that small yet powerful ship that packed quite a punch. I believe it was called...

Whitestar.

:D/trolls

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:31:29 PM »
funny how that fits with DS9 and both series were out at the same time lol :P
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:35:40 PM »
I don't know why, but I would pick Babylon 5 over Ds9. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
I also really liked that small yet powerful ship that packed quite a punch. I believe it was called...

Whitestar.

ha ha thats funny. BUT there's a trivia behind that.

Ron Moore was not allowed to make the Defiant  large because they were competing with themselves as voyager was about to launch, the Valient was the original name Moore chose but Berman said "ship can't start w a v" because of voyager. He obviously used the valient for the same titled later episode.

Yes..B5 was better than ds9 and star trelk IMO as an epic series but i liked Ds9 best of treks..my dad made a point yesterday at saying the only reason he couldnt get into ds9 was you had to follow all episodes or risk getting lost..a fair point.

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »
I like DS9 but I still wanna know why they had to kill Jadzia..... :cry:
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
I like DS9 but I still wanna know why they had to kill Jadzia..... :cry:
Terry Farrell decided to leave the series to do Becker...

TNG was my favorite series, and I grew up watching Voyager, but I've been watching a lot of DS9 lately on DVD's and find it to be the most complex and well thought out out of all of them. I never saw DS9 until I was a teenager and Spike started airing re-runs, but now that I've seen it I'm a little pissed I didn't see that show when I was growing up like I did TNG & Voyager.

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
  • Cookies: 65535
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »
Eh, I liked DS9, but I grew up on TNG...seriously, the first time I ever watched Star Trek was Encounter at Farpoint...when I was 4 LOL

DS9 had a great many episodes that kicked ass...I especially loved the fact that they went with destroying the Defiant.  It proved that the heros don't always win.

I don't agree with this nonsense that DS9 went against Gene Roddenberry's vision...no, I could see the Great Bird doing a Trek Series like this...just to prove that there are still battles to be fought, wars that will rage...it's the very essence of life.  You can't live life without some form of conflict...where would we learn?
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
I grew up watching TNG and I remember all those years ago when DS9 began. I hated it to be honest and didn't watch it until TNG had finished. But when DS9 started I was 7 so I hated all the talking and politics.

It kicked off with me when the show recieved the Defiant and the stories had more action. Now as I've grown older and watched season 1 and 2 I like most of the stories and it's the same with Voyager, plus, like Nick Myers said when you re-watch the first few episodes after watching the entire run of the show you bring with you the characters back stories and they've more depth than they did when the show started and I think that enhances the viewing of the early episodes.

DS9 was a huge step forward for Star Trek and sci-fi, I think Trek is better off because of it. I can't say which is the best show out of the 5 live action ones as each as episodes, ships and characters I love.

Offline JimmyB76

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32:52 PM »
wow, you people are so young lol
i was 11 when TNG premiered but i didnt start watching it until about season 4 i think, and then went back and saw all the previous seasons...
i remember watching the very first episode of ds9 when it aired, i was at a friends house and we snuck some beers into the house; i was 16 at the time  :P