Author Topic: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
Re: Why Ds9 was The Best Trek ever
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 07:39:45 PM »
I was 12 when Voyager ended. So yeah, I'm a youngin lol.

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 07:43:36 PM »
So was I Nero, I believe. When did Voyager end again?

DS9 is the only serious I've seen every episode of (I have not seen the last episode of TAS)

I was trying to watch Voyager from beginning to end but the network I was watching it on changed time slots when I was on vacation so i missed 2 weeks (10 episodes) of season 4 because the DVR didn't record.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
heh.  i was 14 when next G premeired...on a brand new channel called FOX.

DS9 was the positive half of the spectrum.  B5 was the Negative, showing greedy warmongering aliens (and that was us Humans!) two takes on "space jews", and since it involved Harlan Ellison, i considered it to be his revenge for them editing most of the drug references out of "city on the edge of forever"

don't believe that?  he had his original script and rewrites published.  it was very topical considering.
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Morgan

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
So was I Nero, I believe. When did Voyager end again?
May 2001

Offline ThunderChyld

• "Until I have exhausted all other options, keep the phasers charged and the torpedoes loaded."
  • Cookies: 0
  • "I wait for the dawn..."
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:06 AM »
To me, and again this is someone who has watched every series, every movie, and over 95% of the episodes in most of the series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT), I couldn't wait until DS9 was on the air.  I was so glad to be there to watch the crew go through their ups and downs and it did tell stories that spoke to the human condition--even in some respects more than the rest of the series ever dared touched upon.  On DS9 we got to see it all, war, religion, pain, love, loss, and hope.  Me personally, I am a 9er and I will forever be.  It took nearly three seasons for it to find it's place, but like TNG, that's when everything got better.  With the addition of the Defiant (my #2 favorite ship), Worf in season 4 and the Dominion War, I think it not only made the series more solid, I think it made it more deep.  Not only that, you had storylines in DS9 that you never saw on the earlier series (i.e. Dominion War, the Maquis, The Circle) just to name a few.  We got to learn not only the good side of the Federation but it's darker side as well with the introduction of Section 31.  I loved the fact that the Federation wasn't a perfect utopia that TNG made it out to be and one of the biggest episodes to make this point was the 2 part episode in season 4, 'Homefront' and 'Paradise Lost'.  

But DS9 would be nothing without the characters and the large base of recurring characters that people came back week after week to watch for.  The thing is, I in a way, owe DS9 a debt of gratitude.  If it weren't for that show, I wouldn't be so interested in BC, doing fan fiction, or still love Star Trek as much as I do after over twenty years of watching it on TV.  So, that is in a nutshell is why I think DS9 is the best Trek of them all.  

Not to say that there's not a bad point in the show or two...  But it is my favorite in my humble opinion.  

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:24 AM »
I pretty much agree with everything you just said, ThunderChyld :)

My experience with Star Trek, started when I was 5 years old and started watching TNG. For a long time, I avoided watching DS9 simply because I fond it to be too boring at the time (set on a space station, bunch of religious mumbo jumbo...). But eventually I really got into the show, re-watched every episode from the 1st one, and to date it's the best of the 5 television shows in my opinion. On a close 2nd for me, is TNG, with a shared 3rd place for TOS, ENT and VOY. (all 3 of the latter shows had their good and bad points). And ofcourse, TOS is the show that started it all. Without TOS, we'd have no Trek at all.

Hands down, best Star Trek episode ever... The Visitor (DS9, season 4). No other episode of Star Trek's over 800 episodes has made me as happy or as sad as this episode. Coming off of a high point, with the Way of the Warrior (season 4's season premiere), this was by far the best episode in my humble opinion.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 01:03:01 AM »
I might be the youngest guy here, 17.  I hope so. :angel

Offline Morgan

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 01:09:57 AM »
I personally think "In the Pale Moonlight" is probably not just one of DS9's best, but one the entire Star Trek franchises best. There are no space battles, just a whole lot of talking and dirty politics, but the way the episode is set up and the direction of the plot is what makes it such a great offering.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:26 AM »
Gotta agree w "pale moo nlight" this post i made as copied and pasted from one i made in the Jupiterforce fleet forums and everyone kept tossing pale moonlight clips from youtube so here is the same curtosy here

BUT Thunder i will say this- The Visitor was a close second for me i just rewatched it.

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 03:31:39 AM »
I don't agree with this nonsense that DS9 went against Gene Roddenberry's vision...no, I could see the Great Bird doing a Trek Series like this...just to prove that there are still battles to be fought, wars that will rage...it's the very essence of life.  You can't live life without some form of conflict...where would we learn?

You can disagree but the fact of the matter is it WAS against roddenberry's vision he said over and over WAR wwill; NEVeR happen on Trek, he was so opposed to anything Militant about trek he even tried to get the wrath of khan red jacket uniforms changed. No..Ds9 would have been a huge huge NEVER had great bird had a say.

Everyone is entitled to an "opinion" but your Not entitled to a fact. Roddenberry's quotes are on record and he fought venomously against even the script of Wrath of Khan.

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
Roddenberry's ideals were great ideals but I think every writer who wrote for Star Trek will tell you how much they limited story telling. Ron Moore often spoke out against certain ideals as they just didn't work.

DS9 was bold and fresh because it went against the grain. Characters who didn't get on, not every episode ending on a happy note, no inspiring Picard like speeches, and a Cold War that became a the biggest war in Federation history.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 06:58:35 AM »

Nope Dalek has you beat by a few years.

And the best series is TOS, the others are good in there own right but are pale copies to the original TOS-R has help bring them up to the production standard the newer shows have but the series had far more heart. Least us forget the genesis of the phenomenon that is Star Trek.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »
Quote from: FarShot

You should know that. Remember, you thought I was 23 last year. :P
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
I realise i have not shared my age/story. I am 39 years old, I was 14 a sophomore in high school the fall of 1987 hen TNG premiered. I will never forget the hype leading up to "Encounter at farpoint" and me and my dad never missed an episode. I loved Ds9 from day one, moment one, the opening battle of wolf 359 as haunting and epic. I hated voyager with a passion that goes beyond words, though i LOVED 7 of 9 the moment she stepped sexily onto the ship. LOVED Enterprise as well though it to,like all But the TOS took 3rd season to "find its feet".

I have to partially agree  TOS being the best but not quite. It's okay not to like a franchises original, just because trek wouldn't exist without TOS doesn't automatically make it the "best" no matter how devoted a fan you are, you would be not being fair to everyone to be blind to its faults, after all, thats like saying you like your wife's parents "better" because they're responsible for her existance. IT doesn't work that way.

Offline baz1701

• Cookies: 1434
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
I'm only a few years behind you at 35 and loved trek from day one ( though till 1983 star wars was my first love). I remember going to the video shop and renting Encounter at Farpoint (it would be 12 months before we got in on TV in the UK). And to be honest I was not blown away until the season 3 cliff hanger Best of Both worlds, then I was hooked.

DS9 bored me till season 4 then I only caught it when there was nothing else on ( I have not seen every episode from way of the warrior onwards). And Never really got into Voyager, though I'd watch it if nothing else on.

I really liked Enterprise and was sad to see it go as I felt it had found it's feet. But I never missed a repeat of the classic show and though it lost its way in the 3rd season (With a few exception episodes) the first 2 seasons are stand out TV.
Whatever knocks us back, can only make us stronger.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 10:59:14 AM »
I'm only a few years behind you at 35
and im right behind at 34 lol  glad to see im not the only one in the "dirty-thirties" era  :D :P

Offline eclipse74569

• Roger Smith of the U.S.S. Lollypop, a good ship
  • Webmaster
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
You can disagree but the fact of the matter is it WAS against roddenberry's vision he said over and over WAR wwill; NEVeR happen on Trek, he was so opposed to anything Militant about trek he even tried to get the wrath of khan red jacket uniforms changed. No..Ds9 would have been a huge huge NEVER had great bird had a say.

Everyone is entitled to an "opinion" but your Not entitled to a fact. Roddenberry's quotes are on record and he fought venomously against even the script of Wrath of Khan.

And you're making assumptions that I've read this :P  Had I known this earlier (or even all along) I may not have said anything. :)
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return, to obtain, something of equal value must be lost.  That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange.  In those days we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth~Alphonse Elric

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 11:44:52 AM »
You should know that. Remember, you thought I was 23 last year. :P

I forgot, haven't been active, remember?   :P

Offline Daystar70

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 12:05:59 PM »
And you're making assumptions that I've read this cheeky  Had I known this earlier (or even all along) I may not have said anything. smile

LoL well true but i kinda had to make a point i felt but that' s cool.  :yay:

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
I realise i have not shared my age/story. I am 39 years old, I was 14 a sophomore in high school the fall of 1987 hen TNG premiered.

I'm afraid, your math does not compute :P

If you are 39 years old now, and you were 14 when TNG premiered... that would assume TNG premiered 25 years ago, when in fact it premiered 23 years ago. So either you were 16 when it premiered, or you are now 37 years old :)

Okay, back on topic... In the Pale Moonlight was a great episode as well. For me, i'd say it gets a close 2nd behind The Visitor.
Official BCC Discord · https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera