Author Topic: ST:XII  (Read 1966 times)

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
Re: ST:XII
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »
Yeah and there goes a TNG episode where adm. Ni..Bi..tchayev ... whatever her name was... ordered Picard to remove group of Native American people from a colony they settled on a while agoby any means necesarry. back then Picard acted exactly like he should, what's more he almost flushed Wesley out the airlock because he rebelled against moving these people. Few years later Picard finds himself in the very same situation and instead of keeping his usual diplomatic attitude he rebells against SFC. The point is all the characters in INS are turned upside down and messed up, no one acts as he used to + weird, complicated plot + stupid mistakes that could've been easly avoided = Insurrection :P

Offline Morgan

• Cookies: 65535
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2010, 05:06:06 PM »
My only problem with Insurrection was that it was a glorified TNG episode, but aside from that I actually liked it, not as much as First Contact, Wrath of Kahn, or Trek XI, but it's better than Nemesis and The Motion Picture...

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »
And that's not saying much is it?  :evil:
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 02:31:51 AM »
Yeah, I know the thread is old.  But it's mine, so doesn't that entitle me . . .  :angel

I was just watching XI today, and I was seeing just how much Abrams really tried to reach for the feel of the original series.  The strife and conflict is there (with some updated themes) as well as the camaraderie in some highly tense situations.

I think the franchise has been given a second chance, with a target audience that truly understands dynamic change and frisson in a multicultural and diverse crew.  The changes he (Abrams) has made have been pretty much cosmetic.  The core identity of Trek is still there, and that is what truly matters.  The essence of Trek was the concept of humanity reaching towards the stars with an open hand, to (mis)quote LaForge.  Do you really think Roddenberry would be displeased with this?  I don't.