Author Topic: Andy Probert's concept Ambassador Class design vs Canon Ambassador Class design  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Locke

• Cookies: 36
  • Cannot find REALITY.SYS - Universe Halted
I really like this design!  Personally, I think they should've gone with this version instead of the one that is considered to be the official Ambassador class.  Perhaps this could be considered as a MK-III upgrade that would have been used to replace the lost NCC-1701 C before the design of the Galaxy class came into being; or was a competition to the Galaxy class as a new era of flag ships during that time in the mid 24th century?

From what I read over at Sci-Fi Meshes, Andy has always considered this a prototype of the conventional version we all know.  Perhaps it utilized tech that was far too advanced for the era, hence it was reworked and made into the Galaxy design at a later time.

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
From what I read over at Sci-Fi Meshes, Andy has always considered this a prototype of the conventional version we all know.  Perhaps it utilized tech that was far too advanced for the era, hence it was reworked and made into the Galaxy design at a later time.

Here's a link to Tobias Ricter's CGI render of the ship... http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=28446

I really love the details he went into on this ship.  It really looks like a complete overhaul of the current Ambassador class and significantly increased in size to be on par with a Galaxy class. 

Offline Captain_Licard

• [RETIRED]
  • Cookies: 12
  • Captain Tiberius Flynn
Epic to be exact, no offence to the Cannon Enterprise C, but this design looks way better
Star Trek Collision

Offline metalnick

• Cookies: 13
 That Design looks really similar to Dj's Alberta class. At least to my eyes. I don't much care for the nacelles and pylons though. (On the concept, not DJ's ship)
Nothing Is True. Everything Is Permitted....

Offline Locke

A bit similar, mainly around the deflector area.

Offline Captain_D

• Captain of the Seafood Universe
  • Cookies: 5
That Design looks really similar to Dj's Alberta class. At least to my eyes. I don't much care for the nacelles and pylons though. (On the concept, not DJ's ship)

I definitely agree with that, as a matter of fact, I think it would look a whole lot better with something along the lines of the Alberta's pylon-engine setup with a Galaxy Class take on it.

Change the engines and it would make a great looking Dawnstar Class also.

Since there is all this awesome new reference material out, I would say when WileyCoyote gets back to this design or whoever wants to take up the job, we will have another winner here.  :)

Offline limey BSc.

• JL Studios - Co-Founder
  • Cookies: 421
  • JL Studios - Co-Founder
Epic to be exact, no offence to the Cannon Enterprise C, but this design looks way better

I think, while it may look good, it doesn't fit into any design lineage. The canon Ambassador was a plausible stepping stone between the Constitution and the Galaxy.
MUSE!!!

Offline Locke

In what way do you not see a design lineage here?  I keep looking at it, and it makes some very logical steps from the Enterprise B design pointing straight at the shape of the Enterprise D.  Specifically: the shape of the secondary and primary hulls.

Offline NXSovereign

• Cookies: 0
I found a link to those 3D pics of the ship in another forum where Probert was praising the winner of Star Trek Online's "design the next Enterprise" contest & the first thing I did was come here to see if anyone was working on adding it to BC(The Ambassador, not the Ent-F).  Wow, this is DEFINITELY what they should have used in TNG. It looks so much more like a mid-step between the Excelsior and Galaxy, as opposed to the "official" Ambassador which (no offense to the designer) looks more like a 24th century Constitution-Class.  Count me is as supporting this ship being added to BC.

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
I think, while it may look good, it doesn't fit into any design lineage. The canon Ambassador was a plausible stepping stone between the Constitution and the Galaxy.

Actually, if you really think about it, the overall basic design of the current Ambassador class is actually a step back from the Excelsior class.  The current Ambassador class returns to the roots of the basic secondary hull desgin that is familiar to the Constitution refit class.  Deflecotr dish and bussard colectors were also similar to that of the original Constitution.  The only thing that was different was the warp engines, impusle engines, saucer section, and phaser arrays.  The concept design looks like a step forward from Excelsior that would be of a major influence on the design of the Galaxy class... advanced secondary hull design, impulse engines, saucer seperation with independent impulse engines, and a delfector dish and phaser array setup that is very simliar to that of the Galaxy class.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
the only thing i dont really like about Probert's design is the deflector dish...  it just looks silly to me personally...  everything else is cool tho, IMO...
if it had the deflector dish that DJ's Alberta Class has instead, i would be much more fond of the ship...

Offline Vedic

• Cookies: 2
Uh I really hate this concept, I like the View from the side, as it looks "normal" but the top down, ect just make it looks FUgly

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
I know I am probably going to take heat for this but I think the canon design is much more beautiful than the concept design.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
I like the concept soo much better than what we got... XD
though both ships have their charm.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Lionus

• Cookies: 79
I see that it has dual Impulse engines, one in the neck and one located on the saucer's trailing edge.. Saucer Sep??
Star Trek Quad-nacelle fanboy Extraordinaire

StarFleet Research and Development Crash Test Dummie/Test pilot

"Beyond the rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me."

Offline mckinneyc

• Screenshot Master
  • Cookies: 151
  • Screenshot Master
    • My DA page
Yeah it looks like the concept has saucer sep, there are clear seperation lines on the hull.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
I must admit, there are two things on this ship I don't like, well, three:

The nacelles look strange, like a mix of Constitution, Excelsior and what the Ambassador turned out to be.
The Saucer impulse engines stick out a bit too far in my opinion; too Constitution refit style in my opinion, Excelsior style would have been better.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Locke

1. The nacelles look strange, like a mix of Constitution, Excelsior and what the Ambassador turned out to be.

2. The Saucer impulse engines stick out a bit too far in my opinion; too Constitution refit style in my opinion, Excelsior style would have been better.

. . . and the third would be?

Offline deadthunder2_0

• Cookies: 39
  • Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel
    • Modders of Steel Home page
Quote from: majormagna on May 29, 2011, 11:48:18 AM

1. The nacelles look strange, like a mix of Constitution, Excelsior and what the Ambassador turned out to be.

2. The Saucer impulse engines stick out a bit too far in my opinion; too Constitution refit style in my opinion, Excelsior style would have been better.

. . . and the third would be?

2. The Saucer impulse engines stick out a bit too far in my opinion; 3. too Constitution refit style in my opinion, Excelsior style would have been better.
Support the Post TNG Ship Pack

Tech, Nonstop, General- Modders Of Steel,
We are the Modders that take everything to the next level, We are the Modders of Steel

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
Actually I classed 'the nacelles' as two things... Well; technically they are!
Did you know I'm on Twitter?