Author Topic: Cardassian Galor WIP: Recovered!  (Read 21290 times)

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
Re: Cardassian Galor class WIP
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »
If ya need some advice on your tactics give me a shout, as I think you will definately not need any advice on your mesh  :thumbsup:

Offline serverandenforcer

• Frustrated and Strugling Modeler
  • Cookies: 270
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
Work from yesteday...

BTW, The only mesh errors that I've been comming across are open edges.  The only solution that I can think of is to use a boolean operation to unionize all the independent objects together.  Howeve, I know from past experience that using the boolean can be... messy.  What are your (fellow 3D modellers) thoughts on this? 

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Cookies: 84
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »
Take a look here in this thread on the Excal forum where I'm showing the build of the Cardie freighter (and how I'm gonna turn it to the Klingon version too), the part where I show how I cut out the pods is the one of interest. Just make a copy of one of the objects you want to merge, use a Boolean cut to cut out what you don't need in the other, and trace it with the vert snap technique I showed there on the other (by poly cutting it using the other objects cutout as a guide) and merge them afterwards (I will show that particular trick when I'll get to the Klink additions to the model) ;)

http://www.stexcalibur.com/forum/index.php/topic,5359.0.html
Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by themselves.

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 08:38:57 PM »
Take a look here in this thread on the Excal forum where I'm showing the build of the Cardie freighter (and how I'm gonna turn it to the Klingon version too), the part where I show how I cut out the pods is the one of interest. Just make a copy of one of the objects you want to merge, use a Boolean cut to cut out what you don't need in the other, and trace it with the vert snap technique I showed there on the other (by poly cutting it using the other objects cutout as a guide) and merge them afterwards (I will show that particular trick when I'll get to the Klink additions to the model) ;)

http://www.stexcalibur.com/forum/index.php/topic,5359.0.html

What about just unionizing the objects together and deleting any excess vertexs?  Doing it that way sounds easier and still obtaining the same goal.

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 08:47:58 AM »
What about just unionizing the objects together and deleting any excess vertexs?  Doing it that way sounds easier and still obtaining the same goal.

Less messy this way plus this way the mesh actually gets unified and watertight (and that's what you really want, trust me on this ;) ).

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2011, 03:30:52 PM »
I'm back from Texas finally!  Arrived in SoCal on Thursday.  Had to take care of some paperwork yesterday.  Going to relax for the next couple of days and then get back on the galor. I tried working on it while I was in Texas.  However, the training kind of kicked my butt a bit and I'm running into problems with trying to unify parts to each other.  Plus, my laptop was being used by everybody as a TV to watch football.   Anyways, I got till the 3rd of October to work on this and then back to the grinder. :)

Offline MarkyD

• Cookies: 627
  • "A mesh comes together!"
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
A unified mesh is a great thing, a sign of a meshing artist when done correctly  :thumbsup: Jules tops that  ;)

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »
Bad news folks.... my laptop wont load into Windows.  :(

I don't know what's wrong.  The rest of the boot-up process works fine. However it restarts itself right when Windows starts to load up.

Offline moed

• Cookies: 57
  • Star Trekus Fanaticus
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2011, 12:54:18 PM »
Bummer!

Have you tried to restart in Safe Mode?

Unless you've already tried this, then disregard this message. If not then during the boot up, tap on the F8 key a few times until you get a menu of the different types of Windows boots you want then choose Safe Mode. If you're successful in getting to Windows then do a system restore to a previous point where all was running well.

Hope this helps and good luck!

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2011, 01:03:53 PM »
Doing a system repair right now. Taking forever.

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 01:05:31 PM »
This happened when I tried to load up my computer on a KC-135 on my flight back from Texas. Thought it was due to a jamming signal on board the plane since its a military aircraft.

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
Safe Mode won't work.  :(

Offline FarShot

• That guy with good ideas...
  • Cookies: 787
  • I'm actually making stuff! :D
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
Got another computer or laptop around?  Maybe a friend?  I can think of a couple options:  take the harddrive out and slap it into another comp, or get a flash drive version of Linux and boot off of that.

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
Found my Windows 7 installation and driver disks. Hopefully those two can solve my problem.

« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2011, 06:02:04 PM »
So I had to re-install Windows 7 and lost everything that I had.  :cry:  Time to start all over again.  This time I'm going to save everything online to multiple online accounts incase this should ever happen again.  Obviously I'm not happy right now.  However, hopefully a fresh restart will allow me to be better and more careful with what I'm doing.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »
So I had to re-install Windows 7 and lost everything that I had.  :cry:  Time to start all over again.  This time I'm going to save everything online to multiple online accounts incase this should ever happen again.  Obviously I'm not happy right now.  However, hopefully a fresh restart will allow me to be better and more careful with what I'm doing.

Ouch... I would've recommended, putting your harddrive into a second computer (with a working Windows installation), and transfer files off the harddrive if possible. The 2nd computer would be able to run no problem, as long as you make sure it boots up the Windows that is on the primary harddrive (i.e not your own harddrive). Sadly, it seems this is no longer possible since you already went ahead and reformatted/installed Windows onto the harddrive.

For future problems like these, you should safeguard yourself by having 2 separate partitions (one primary for Windows, one secondary for "everything else"). Would help if you need to format the primary Windows partition, since all the files would remain intact on the secondary partition.
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline Adonis

• Ze Meister xP
  • Da Death Squad ???
    • Star Trek Excalibur
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 07:42:28 PM »
This happened when I tried to load up my computer on a KC-135 on my flight back from Texas. Thought it was due to a jamming signal on board the plane since its a military aircraft.

Don't they do that only under combat conditions? ...and on an old tanker plane?

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
It caught me by surprise. I didn't think it would be active. However my entire hard drive was wiped clean. Even if I took the hard drive out, it would've done no good since the entire drive was blank. I'm thinking the aircraft emits a low-level "EMP" and the minute I turned my laptop on, it wiped it clean.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
Ohhhh dang server. :(

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2011, 01:43:26 AM »
unless you were sitting on the radar, it shouldn't have been any different than if you had turned it on during a commercial flight.  Isn't the crew chief supposed to warn you about stuff like that anyway?  What was the -135 doing? IIRC, planes are supposed to be nose cold during tanking ops, and if it was just a ferry flight, I don't know why they'd be running with anything like that.  (if it was a radar, I'd be worried about more than just your computer :P)