Author Topic: What's the future of Star Trek after "Into Darkness?"  (Read 4041 times)

Offline captain_obvious

• The captain of obvious-ness
  • Cookies: 54
    • ARmy Rumour SErvice- British Army Unofficial community
Re: What's the future of Star Trek after "Into Darkness?"
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
Hmm.  I've been thinking about this lately and I had (yet another) idea that will likely never see the light of day.

It's 2199.  In the decades after the war, the federation spent much of its time rebuilding. Ships that were better, faster and stronger than ever before.  As of late, the veterans of the war have been giving way to the younger generation.  Armed with their more optimistic outlook, they have pushed for more exploration and expansion into the unknown. 

While on a survey mission in a solar system that seems almost perfect for colonization, a starfleet ship goes down for some unknown reason.  Most of the crew managed to get out on escape pods but , something seems to be picking them off one by one as those pods make their way down to the planet.  By the time they reach the surface, only a few of those pods are still intact.  Of all the pods that survived, navigation control was lost leading to the pods being scattered around the planet seemingly at random, isolating the few survivors into small groups on a hospitable, but unexplored and untamed world with no way of calling for help. 

I forsee such a series as being rather like lost, but with a trek twist.  But it also has a focus on the ship sent to investigate why the data from the ship has suddenly stopped.  The focus would shift between the shipwrecked people on the planet and the ship that is making it's way to the planet as well as their respective problems, contrasting the high tech solutions of one group and the low tech ones of the other. 

Then again, it probably won't go anywhere.  But if any of you guys happens to make it into the tv industry and start pitching shows/scripts, I'd be willing to let you use my concept if credit is given :P
I miss :bigdance:

Offline Saquist

• Cookies: 24
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
I would reboot Star Trek completely

They need to get away from the 7 man crew lead by a captain premise.
The fans have worked that to death and so have the series.

-They need a leading man "24 Style" and a cast of " every so oftens".
-The story shouldn't be about star travel (we've done that)
-I would use Section 31
- Travel to only Worlds of the Federation and it's enemies

Sets:
One Starship bridge (modular)
(Holodeck)
Star Fleet Command Operations (San Francisco)
(Orbital City Command Center (mostly CGI) Mission Way Station
All other sets would be Heavily CGI

Go for a different look. 
Upgrade the tech too ultra futuristic.
I would make the attempt to make the first 3D series too

And...it doesn't need to be named Star Trek at all.

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:06 PM »
Lemme see...

A Star "Trek" series, without any travel? Hmm, last I checked, Trek is another word for a Long Journey. Section 31 are also the farthest part away from being part of the "optimistic view of the future". Section 31 are a shady organisation, bent on doing whatever is necessary to protect the Federation and it's interests. So kinda like the NSA if you want a comparison. And finally...

"Space, the final frontier. These are not the voyages of any starship. Our mission is not to seek out new life and new civilizations. But rather, to go boldly where so many men have already gone before."

Sorry, but that monologue doesn't quite inspire me with the adventurous spirit that the original monologue had :P
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013, 02:18:07 PM »
I think that the series needs a bit of variety, but it doesn't need a total reboot.  Having a different perspective is what's called for imo.  Most of trek thus far, has been from the perspective of a group of officers with a metric sh*t ton of ultra high tech gear at their disposal. 

btw, what did you guys think of my wall of text from earlier?

Offline Saquist

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
Lemme see...

A Star "Trek" series, without any travel? Hmm, last I checked, Trek is another word for a Long Journey. Section 31 are also the farthest part away from being part of the "optimistic view of the future". Section 31 are a shady organisation, bent on doing whatever is necessary to protect the Federation and it's interests. So kinda like the NSA if you want a comparison. And finally...

"Space, the final frontier. These are not the voyages of any starship. Our mission is not to seek out new life and new civilizations. But rather, to go boldly where so many men have already gone before."

Sorry, but that monologue doesn't quite inspire me with the adventurous spirit that the original monologue had :P

More like:  

Section 31

" You believe your world is safe? It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. We deal with threats to the Federation.  Threats that jeopardize its very survival. If you knew how many lives we've saved... you'd agree... the ends justify the means."

Edit:  A better itteration

And I think that when a particular eventful or amoral action is taken and reports back to "Control" (Section 31 Command) the agent always says  "The Ends Justify the Means"

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
If memory serves me, wasn't "Assignment: Earth" supposed to be a spinoff series centered around the adventures of Gary Seven? If so...I'd like to see something like that. And what springs to mind, of course, is "The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh", the two books centered around the period before Khan and Company escaped on the Botany Bay. Not as a movie or as a full fledged series, but perhaps as a miniseries.
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline captain_obvious

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »
That's what I forsee as being the future of trek. Miniseries.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 12:58:18 AM »
A Romulan War miniseries perhaps?...

:(

Alas that is probably the last thing to be conceived of.  Regardless of what people think of season 4, the name (or even the idea of being near there again) just brings too much negative connotation with it...

Here is a thought though.  Over the last almost 15 years the TNG cast has been popping up everywhere in regards to voiceovers.  With the resurgence of TNG's popularity thanks to TNG-R, it wouldn't be inconceivable to have the cast come back in animated form.  There would be a huge variety of formats a project like that could assume.

(What I mean to say about popularity is that TNG is on the forefront of Star Trek news and advertisement when the new films aren't being mentioned.)
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Shadowknight1

• Cookies: 71
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:39 AM »
Well, there is apparently a movement to get Enterprise a season 5 on Netflix.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline ShaunKL

• Cookies: 3
  • Semper Exploro
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
Yeah, but compared to say, Veronica Mars, the fan support isn't nearly on the level it would need to be.  As much as I wish it was.
Thanks for letting me know the forum was back up, guys.  I thought everyone died.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »

" You believe your world is safe? It is an illusion, a comforting lie told to protect you. We deal with threats to the Federation.  Threats that jeopardize its very survival. If you knew how many lives we've saved... you'd agree... the ends justify the means."

read that line to Bruce Grenwood's voice from the Star Trek XI trailer ("Your father was captain of a starship....")...

MAN that's a badass line!

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 07:33:53 PM »
read that line to Bruce Grenwood's voice from the Star Trek XI trailer ("Your father was captain of a starship....")...

MAN that's a badass line!
Nah, the line is fine and all, but Bruce Greenwood's a bad ass.

....Pike... :cry:

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »
I finaly got what Saquist is after.

he wants not only darker and edgier, but jet black with razor blades! 

one of our newest recruits, here, is doing a beautiful trek with a saladin/hermes class in a crossover set in 2217.  i invited this guy in to come drool at our ships.  THAT is what I think would make great trek.  fill in the gaps between Daedalus and Kelvin and the post TUC/era X/Enterprise-B era
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »
you know what I was just thinking?

why not make a series of the lost era, but set in THIS new timeline?..... I guess it would be a major source for interesting plots, and still with plenty of room for character development (which I think is one of Trek's signature features) and attractive FX.

and for one thing, I'd love to see people using ACTUAL TOUCHSCREENS instead of back-lit plastic panels with no dynamism whatsoever.

...but then again,... I came up with that while taking a poop, so... don't take me too serious  :funny

Offline Saquist

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
I finaly got what Saquist is after.

he wants not only darker and edgier, but jet black with razor blades! 

one of our newest recruits, here, is doing a beautiful trek with a saladin/hermes class in a crossover set in 2217.  i invited this guy in to come drool at our ships.  THAT is what I think would make great trek.  fill in the gaps between Daedalus and Kelvin and the post TUC/era X/Enterprise-B era

Indeed...
No more sunshine Trek.

-----
Posted by: Nighthawk
Insert Quote
you know what I was just thinking?

why not make a series of the lost era, but set in THIS new timeline?..... I guess it would be a major source for interesting plots, and still with plenty of room for character development (which I think is one of Trek's signature features) and attractive FX.

and for one thing, I'd love to see people using ACTUAL TOUCHSCREENS instead of back-lit plastic panels with no dynamism whatsoever.

...but then again,... I came up with that while taking a poop, so... don't take me too serious

I agree with alot of these points, even if it means not following the Enterprise to avoid the main characters...I still love Carol Marcus...the casting of the new films is excellent...(Except for Robocop)

I also like the upgraded GUI system...the black panel static back lit was kewl in the eighties.  That's something I do like about Abrams Trek.

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:31 AM »
this is probably the wrong question.

But why not "sunshine trek" as you put it?

the world as we have it now is pretty horrible why do we need more horribleness.

am i an idiot for wanting something that is uplifting instead of depressing?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Shadowknight1

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »

the world as we have it now is pretty horrible why do we need more horribleness.

No, you're not.

To Boldly Go...Again.

Offline Saquist

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07:59 AM »

No you're not.  I actually prefer sunshine Trek.
I think Stargate Universe proved that people aren't continuously attracted to sad depressing dark stories with little change.

However  we've been on 5 series with Captain and his faithful crew. We need a change in format.  The public isn't as enamored with that as we are.

Offline King Class Scout

• Cookies: 893
  • the other half of SFRD
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
there already IS a "darker and Edgier" thing close to trek.  Babaylon Five. Which is why I couldn't stand the thing (thought walt was deliciously deviled ham in there)

the problem I see with swapping away from the current format is that half of the people wouldn't "get" it, and the other half would call it boring.  there was all sorts of griping when they did DS9 'cause it wasn't on a ship.  the day to day stuff like routine patrols in known space would make insta-flops, S31 would come off as recycling James Bond. 
other ideas include
a planet based piece, which would be compared to DS9 AND called "boring"
a colonial started with civillians, which wouldn't pique interest;
diplomatic BS (everybody's kind of sick of politics right now)
Shipyards and misadventures of engineers (which people wouldn't get the reason for)

a good potential might be watching  cadette class adventures, but I suspect guys like me would start comparing it to "saved By The Bell", "buffy", 90210, etc.  imagie the cries of "recycled in HIGH SCHOOL"!  :funny
OS novel fan

Coming Soon: King's Mod Tuning Shop

best line I've ever read
Me: mine [my bridges] would probably be simple to get the characters to use.  the only person that sits is the captian.
Baz: space is vast there[sic] legs will be tired by the time they get to the next planet

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Shipyards and misadventures of engineers (which people wouldn't get the reason for)

which would be awesome though :)

there already IS a "darker and Edgier" thing close to trek.  Babaylon Five. Which is why I couldn't stand the thing...

I loved B5... i didnt see it as too dark and depressing because the main characters were trying to raise to the ideals and morals that the people in power (in the show) should have been striving for.
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"