Author Topic: Ftech: Phased torpedo problem.  (Read 680 times)

Offline Flowrellik

• Cookies: 7
Ftech: Phased torpedo problem.
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
OK! Atm I am researching on a torpedo I found in BC Central for the Gorn and I need help with the coding.
I want to give a specific Gorn ship (Grendel Dreadnought) a moderately strong Torpedo that when fired, passes through the shields and damages the ship. So far I have used Ftech but the torpedo just phases right through everything and comes out the other end.
how do I fix this?

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
Re: Ftech: Phased torpedo problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 03:09:26 PM »
Which script are you referring to more specifically (src code)? Post some samples of what you have in order for us to be able to help you.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline KrrKs

• Cookies: 25
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
AFAIK ftech uses 2 projectiles to give the Illusion of phasing through shields.
The first 'dummy' Torpedo needs to deal damage, too. Otherwise BC won't register the hit event.

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »
I am using the phase code that I implemented automatically via BCUT.
I need help getting the second dummy torpedo to hit the target.

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
The only (reliable) way I know of that lets a torpedo 'phase' through ship objects, is that the torpedo has no damage component.
(Very rarely a very fast Torpedo also does this, I believe)

Could you post the torpedoe's
Code: [Select]
GetDamage() value?

Also, does the Console mention anything after firing such a projectile?

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »
hi there... im not home at min so i cant check my install but im sure phased torps work on it...

are you using this?
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/FTech_Foundation_Technologies_;84343
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:34:39 AM »
I guess so, as that is the one BCUT uses.
But even if he did not have it installed, the torpedo should impact as usual, and not go right through everything.

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »
Yes Foundation is installed.
I just need help with a concept. My main goal is to not only have the torpedo damage shielding but to also phase through it, causing damage to the hull.
Also

def GetDamage():
   return 600

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:02:24 AM »
lol ok im confused... i thought what you are trying to do IS done in the ftech scripting... otherwise what does "phased torpedo" in ftech do?
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline KrrKs

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »
I'm confused, too.
What Ftech does is:

-It detects when a 'phased torpedo' hits the shields of an object, and then removes this torpedo
 (this seems to be done before any damage calculations, so the shields don't drop after the hit)

-Then a new Torpedo, of the same kind, is created and placed behind the shields. This torpedo then should impact the ship.
 The placement of the new torpedo is done via scaling of the original torpedoe's vector/velocity and the point where it hit the shields.

From Techs/PhasedTorp:
Code: [Select]
pHitPoint = ConvertPointNiToTG(pEvent.GetWorldHitPoint())

pVec = pTorp.GetVelocityTG()
pVec.Scale(pEvent.GetRadius())
pHitPoint.Add(pVec)
Where pEvent is the HitEvent on/at the shields. I have no idea what 'GetRadius()' of this event actually returns, so I can only guess that the placement is influenced by the torpedoes velocity (LaunchSpeed) or its 'DamageRadius'.
My guess is that these are so large, that the replacement Torpedo is placed behind the ship it is supposed to hit.

Anyway:
If your Aim is to damage the shields and hull of a ship, you should try this mod instead:
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Phased_Torpedo;87148

Offline Flowrellik

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
:) Thank you very much!
Now I have a real working Thermite Reaction Torpedo that passes through shields with damage on a plasmatic side with Hull damage on a Molten Iron kinetic projectile scale.
I aim to make my BC a bit unique, having every single ship from all sides having their own unique method of combat to them (be it a special tactic or a very advanced weapon that takes a while to charge)