Author Topic: A UDK Experiment...  (Read 720 times)

Offline flarespire

• The one who breaks the cycle.
  • Cookies: 47
  • God Green God Dammit!
A UDK Experiment...
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »
So I was playing around with the Blend_Overlay, Panner and Emissive functions within the UDK in order to better my knowledge of the tool set, and I ended up creating this:

I ended up creating the Sovereign class Warp Core with its housing in the UDK. The only things I did not make myself were the greebley bits on the main Intermix Chamber, the core's pulsing SFX, the texture for the side tank lights themselves and the texture that is use as the base of the Matter and Anti-Matter inputs of the core, these were taken from Elite Force 2 to save a little time, the rest was built and textured in 3DS Max and implemented into the UDK by me.

(Yes I'm aware of the slight UV hiccup on the Matter(?) input at the back, that will be fixed.)

Offline hobbs

• Cookies: 77
Re: A UDK Experiment...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 01:52:46 PM »
very cool flare... looks perfect rendition  :bow: :yay:
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers..." Michael Ansara, "Elric" Babylon 5 "The Geometry of Shadows,"

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
  • Cookies: 89
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:27:24 PM »
UDK is Unreal Dev Kit is that right? Where are you trying to go with this? Is it compatible with BC in any way? If not, could we make it? Just some thoughts.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
Yes the UDK is the Unreal Dev Kit. It was just an experiment on material setup's that lead to this. Unfortunately no it is not in any way compatible with the Bridge Commander Engine , you could try to put it in there but I highly doubt it would EVER even have a chance of working in there unless you did some modifications to the games .exe file which is both illegal and against the EULA (End User License Agreement), which is obviously frowned upon.  :idk:

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • Cookies: 211
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Yes the UDK is the Unreal Dev Kit. It was just an experiment on material setup's that lead to this. Unfortunately no it is not in any way compatible with the Bridge Commander Engine , you could try to put it in there but I highly doubt it would EVER even have a chance of working in there unless you did some modifications to the games .exe file which is both illegal and against the EULA (End User License Agreement), which is obviously frowned upon.  :idk:
Slight off topicness here:

I'm not the kind to talk about things illegal, but, somehow, I feel that Activision wouldn't give a flying **** about BC at this point. However, if Paramount has anything to do with the exe file, then they probably would. And the fact that its Star Trek would probably have Paramount send attack dogs. However, I have a slight feeling that none of them would give a crap if we were to start effing with the exe. There is a hiccup however: Still illegal because of the EULA.

Now, if we were to contact Activision, and ask them if they care about it, and they said no, what would happen then? Would the EULA be nullified or only parts of it modified? Or would Activision be like, "do whatever, we don't care". and if we got paramount to somehow say what would never be said in a million years: "whatever", we could finally do stuff with BC that wasn't possible before.

Hmmm, not gonna happen. XD I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and contact both Activision and Paramount. Oh, and there's the problem of having access to the engine..... Well, nevermind, this was a waste of my time and yours. XD

On topic: nice job! That's a great looking warp core!
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
  • Cookies: 89
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
I mean, at what point does BC become abandonware? Birth of the Federation is abandonware, people are modding the hell out of that exe... has a disassembly archive and everything

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 04:34:43 PM »
UDK has a lot of potential (esp now Unreal 4 engine is free  :D).   I was playing around with importing DS9 ops into UDK last year.

Offline flarespire

• God Green God Dammit!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »
Nice work Lurok, Did you rig that player model yourself? Because I may need to pick your brains for something later down the line.

Offline Lurok91

• Cookies: 2062
  • SPMod Developer (Retired)
    • Lurok91 Mods
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »
Yeah, but I was really lazy about it  :D.   The hands and forearms are all frakked up (it was only for test purposes anyway).    But...as long as one can get the skinning done well in Max (or whatever), I found importing into UDK and then applying animations was pretty intuitive.

Offline newhalo123

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I mean, at what point does BC become abandonware? Birth of the Federation is abandonware, people are modding the hell out of that exe... has a disassembly archive and everything

Hmm, do you think we should open a thread to see what everyone's thoughts on this are?
Could a Mod shed some light on if opening a thread about this would be ok? On the one hand, it'd be talking about illegal things, and that obviously is not permitted. On the other hand though, as Tethys said, has BC become abandonware at this point? Would it being abandonware even change the allowance of a thread talking about this? If I should just stop talking about this, just let me know, and I wont' bring it up again. If it's alright to start a thread though, which is in all likelyhood, unlikely, which subforum should I put it in?

Again, I only want to start a new thread about this to see what everyone's thoughts are on the prospect that BC has become abandonware, and if that would have any bearing on improving BC. Plus, I dont wanna do any more off topicness.
"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking nerf herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)