Author Topic: Star Trek Bridge Commander Retro Mod  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Mark McWire

• Cookies: 1010
Star Trek Bridge Commander Retro Mod
« on: June 18, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »
With 2 years delay my announced Mod. I call it Bridge Commander Retro Mod, since I have replaced all Starfleet spaceships and spaceships of the Klingons and Romulans with their 23rd century counterparts.
The mod is not based on Foundation and is not compatible with this. I tried unsuccessfully to get Foundation into the single player for 1 year, but there are too many stability and savegame issues. So I modified the stock files like MissionLib and the MenuHandlers and EventHandlers.

As a bonus, I've added a few extra menu items and functions that are directly in the source code of the original Bridge files. The mod is still beta version and still has some bugs in some missions.

The used spaceships and source code snippets are mostly from the Kobayashi Maru Mod of 2011. So see the copyright information of KM2011 valid for my mod. However, I have modified most of the hardpoints.

PS: I used a German installation for developement. If you want to use an english one, please replace the tgl-Files in data folder with ones from a English installation.

PS: In the future I will not participate in the development of Mods based on Foundation like Kobayashi Maru. It was certainly an ingenious idea then, as there were many modders and many new mods that exist side by side. However, I find the Foundation unsuitable for the further development of the missions, and it causes more stability issues and bugs, especially with the savegames, than direct modifications to the source code of the original. Apart from that, it makes the debugging uncomfortably complicated.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yDRZo58_FGJ-USTOnkSGmYEuE8fLVHRG/view?usp=sharing

Installation: Unzip the archive over a fresh STBC installation. Thats all.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: Star Trek Bridge Commander Retro Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
awesome!   downloading now  :D
thank you for doing this!!
*cookied*

With 2 years delay my announced Mod. I call it Bridge Commander Retro Mod, since I have replaced all Starfleet spaceships and spaceships of the Klingons and Romulans with their 23rd century counterparts.
The mod is not based on Foundation and is not compatible with this. I tried unsuccessfully to get Foundation into the single player for 1 year, but there are too many stability and savegame issues. So I modified the stock files like MissionLib and the MenuHandlers and EventHandlers.
look into BCSP mod  ;)
As a bonus, I've added a few extra menu items and functions that are directly in the source code of the original Bridge files. The mod is still beta version and still has some bugs in some missions.
The used spaceships and source code snippets are mostly from the Kobayashi Maru Mod of 2011. So see the copyright information of KM2011 valid for my mod. However, I have modified most of the hardpoints.
that sounds cool!  can you describe what they are by chance?

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »
I've made new menu items and buttons:

Helm -> new order menu, so you can order all friendly ships in map at once
Helm -> new cheat buttons to order a enemy ship to get friendly or order self destruct to friendly ship (will be hide in final version and only be available in TestMode)
Helm -> new buttons for fleeing with insystem warp, set a collision course to any target, orbit any target, create random nav points

Tactical -> instead of phasers only button i insert a menu, so you can separatly switch on/off beam weapons, pulse weapons and projectile weapons and switch between single fire or normal fire for beams and pulses

Science -> launch decoy and launch shuttle button (still Beta, you do not have any limit and can launch infinite times)

Engineer -> new buttons for emergeny repair (even destroyed subsystems can be repaired), silent running, shield boost, transfer energy between main batteries and emergency batteries

Offline Tethys

• -=USF=- Co-Leader
  • Cookies: 89
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:54:46 PM »
Is this the same Retro Mod that was developed by Nate Brown aka? Hellkhat four or so years ago? I am wondering because I have been working with him to integrate that mod (Retro 2.2 mod) into the updated KM dev. I have also talked to Nate about it, because I wasn't sure if it was the same project. I am curious if its the same project/files or if this was a separate development on your part? Can you clarify please? Thanks. Good to see you again btw :)

Here is a post of mine from 2015, where I mentioned the Retro Mod created by Nate.

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 11:02:08 AM »
No, thats my own developement. 2 years ago, I tried to modify the missions in KM2011, but because of Foundation and other mods, the game tends to crash every time. So I decided to make my mod from scratch only with the SDK.

I used most of the TMP-Ship-Models from KM2011, but the hardpoints are new. I use only stock sound and stock grafics, modified the projectiles from KM2011 to use the stock Core and Glow tga files.

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
I updated to Version 1.1. Removing bug, that prevent going in E3M1 from E2M6 (E2M3).

I adjusted some hardpoints, too. And I disabled debugging tools like bcdebug and ConsoleTracke for performance issues in the release.

Offline bs

• Cookies: 658
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
The Mod is pretty good! Awesone work!

Can you give us a link to Version 1.1?

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 08:33:18 AM »
I currently upload an update. Some improvements in code only. There are still some bugs in the Single Player Maelstrom Mission and in the Random Encounter, which i have rescriptet. There are now static references between sets and races. So if you warp to Savoy or Starbase 12, you everytime face to a Federation fleet or if you warp to Chambana or Prendel, you face everytime to a Cardassian fleet. The stations from maelstrom like Savoy Station or Chambana Shipyard now available in Quickbattle and RandomEnc, too. I moved them from maelstrom scripts directly into the set scripts.

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 08:36:47 AM »
The Mod is pretty good! Awesone work!

Can you give us a link to Version 1.1?

I override the zip file in the first link. So every new version will be available under the link in my first post in this thread.

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 02:00:54 PM »
I'm uploading a new version. This new version should be available in about 1 hour. I've added a new feature to loadspacehelper. This feature automatically calculates the energy you need based on the strength of the drive, sensors, shields, and weapons, and adjusts the power supply to that value. The values ​​of the warp core from the hardpoints are not taken into account.

In addition, the correct values ​​are now taken from the projectile data for the pulse weapons. It is true that in the hardpoints of the pulse weapons each entries for MaxDamage, DamageRadiusFactor and MaxDamageDistance are available. This is because the objects are descended from the same class as the phaser banks. These values ​​are not considered at all in the game. One can enter here a MaxDamage of 100,000 and the Disruptor or Pulsephaser nevertheless would cause only so much damage as in the Pulse projectile defined.

However, the values ​​SetMaxCharge, SetMinFiringCharge, SetNormalDischargeRate and SetRechargeRate are considered correctly.

For the next version, I am considering whether to use the pulse weapons as dummy projectiles and automatically transfer the values ​​from the hardpoints to the projectile objects.

Offline sloth146

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Why is it in german ...

Offline Mark McWire

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 06:16:23 PM »
Why is it in german ...

I forgot to delete the TGL folder in data. I use a German version of the game for playing and modding. But my Mod should work in English version, too.