Author Topic: New Foundation Ship Mod  (Read 720 times)

Offline Mark McWire

• Cookies: 1010
New Foundation Ship Mod
« on: September 01, 2020, 03:20:05 PM »
I haven't been here in the forum for a few months. In the meantime I had worked with OpenTTD and Widelands. These are two open source games that I am also helping to develop.

I have now developed my retro mod further so that it has its own foundation system. Spaceships that are installed in the Custom / Ships and Custom / Ships / Hardpoints folder are automatically recognized and entered in the AddShip GUI. I'm still working on an automatic entry in the Quickbattle menu. I am currently still using static entries there.

Unfortunately, the STBC developers have blocked listdir-access to directories other than the scripts / Custom directory. Otherwise I would have read the spaceships directly from the scripts / ships folder.

My goal is to change the game mechanics as little as possible and not to create new classes or registers. This should make the game more stable overall than when using the old Foundation Plugin-system. The biggest advantage of my method is that you can use all new spaceships and menu functions in the Maelstrom mission.

In the following link I have published the scripts folder with the code. Experienced users can continue to use it for their own mods. Everything is still in progress and unfinished. I will probably not publish the entire mod because I have used many spaceship models, icons and sounds from Kobayashi Maru and from third parties for which I have no copyrights and whose developers are no longer available.

-> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-3-E827FIO67S3e4aNH6pzzFGqZ31vym/view?usp=sharing

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
Re: New Foundation Ship Mod
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the STBC developers have blocked listdir-access to directories other than the scripts / Custom directory. Otherwise I would have read the spaceships directly from the scripts / ships folder.

That was a security feature which is very well documented in the SDK IIRC. But from what I recall there's nothing preventing you to move scripts.ships and scripts.ships.hardpoints to Custom.scripts.ships and Custom.scripts.ships.hardpoints. You do need to edit references and handlers to where the game looks for "script.ships" and "scripts.ships.hardpoints" though.
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
Re: New Foundation Ship Mod
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 12:42:25 PM »
I will probably not publish the entire mod because I have used many spaceship models, icons and sounds from Kobayashi Maru and from third parties for which I have no copyrights and whose developers are no longer available.
if it has been tried to contact modders to request use of their work to no avail, that's really the best and only thing you can do... 
or, please list the ships you have in your full mod, and we can all also try to contact the authors to ask permission...  i am in touch still to these days with alot of modders,so i can help contact some people to ask their permission for use...

but quite honestly, pretty much 99% of any and all BC modders from way back when are just simply long gone... 
these days, so long as proper credit and due respect is granted, that would be ok to go ahead and incorporate someone's work into your mod - i doubt anyone would come out of the shadows to yell and complain...  quite the contrary, i would think modders from long ago would be happy to see their mods still being used and enjoyed  :)