Author Topic: NifSkope now supports BC Nifs  (Read 4514 times)

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: 1797
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
NifSkope now supports BC Nifs
« on: May 20, 2007, 09:28:08 AM »
The NifSkope model viewer from NifTools now supports the Bridge Commander version of NIF, this means the application can view and edit any model in BC.

The next stage for this is to get a C++ programmer with access to the 3ds Max SDK to update the teams open source Max plugins, and thus give us a Nif exporter for Max 9! :)

For now though just nifskope on its own opens up new possibilities.. for instance take a look at the sovereign class captains chair in KM1 (I did this yesterday :))

So go and check out NifSkope at the NifTools homepage.

Offline cpthooker

• Cookies: 37
Re: NifSkope now supports BC Nifs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »
looks good, I would love to see max 9 of the nif plugin :)

'As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy, than to create.'
Capt Spock - The Wrath of Khan

PC Spec
Athlon X2 Skt AM2 6000+, 4GB DDR2 800 Ram
XFX Geforce 8800 ultra, Vista Ultimate 64bit

Offline MickJo

• Cookies: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 10:42:25 AM »
I have never thought i'd see the day. Looks brilliant.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »
With KM1 you mean Kobyashi Maru 1.0?

Anyway, SVN is running now, at 0.1kb/s for some reason. :|
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:51:16 PM »
there are still a few glitches with the body animations, but better this than nothing
bridges come out more or less usable, so any skilled modder shouldn't have problems with them
*everyone applaud 3rd Era*

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 05:46:13 PM »
applaud niftools, I just tested stuff :P.

By the way, when you say it has trouble with body animations, thats probably because alot of those anims are stripped of geometric data by the "animonly" tool in the SDK.. it cuts down the size of them by 3/4s but it means when you load them in nifskope there is no body..

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
Wouldn't turning on wireframe view not help with that?
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mustang

• Resident Movie Critic
  • Cookies: 46
  • Muse Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 10:17:30 AM »
Hmm... I like the program, but what's it used for? I realize it's for BC's nifs, but how do you edit them?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 10:58:03 AM »
Hmm... I like the program, but what's it used for? I realize it's for BC's nifs, but how do you edit them?
You export them to another format if your editor doesn't accept nifs.

NifSkope by itself has some direct features for Oblivion and a couple of other games.
But not BC.

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 11:35:31 AM »
Yeah,I was all over that website trying to motivate people to figure out how to get Bridges to work with at lease Nifscope..

I wasnt having any luck tracking down the wierd error I was getting..(the same one mark was getting I think),and trying to fix it..

So good to hear its working now, ill go get the new version..

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »
Cool news!

Offline BES

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 01:45:04 PM »
I exported a bridge with NifSkope, it didnt export the textures? is it the .MTL file?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 01:48:13 PM »
I exported a bridge with NifSkope, it didnt export the textures? is it the .MTL file?
That depends on how you mean: "exporting textures". Those are just tga files (already image files).

[EDIT] I clicked save too soon again... Yeah, the mtl file describes textures, colour and other attributes.

Offline BES

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 01:59:19 PM »
But my 3D Max doesnt open it...I tried putting the .mtl in the same folder and the material folder and it dont read either of them...mybe im importing it wrong.. ill keep fiddling with it..

The model itselft opens..but its not textured..

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 02:07:40 PM »
The mtl should be in the same directory.

This seems to be the case of most of the OBJ loaders I've seen.
Maybe there is an option in the import section of Max for this (I don't have it)?

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »
if you export to .obj, the file and the .mtl file should be in the same directory.
when you import the .obj in Max, there should be a checkbox that opens a textbox so you can enter the name of the .mtl file.
I'm using Max 9, FYI.

Offline tiqhud

• BCFiles File Poster
  • Cookies: 1067
  • San Francisco Shipyards (HPer) file manuiplater
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 03:25:26 PM »
Nice to know , if ever I start Modeling.
TiqHud
you sir, are unable to strike, the port or starboard parts of hull , of a bovine storage facility.
Canon , what people argue exists, that doesn't really  exist.
It is all the little details, that cause headaches.
"Never judge wealth with Money"
'Intelligence has Nothing to do with Politics'
it is Late, Do you know where your Towel is?

Offline Mark

• Retired Administrator
  • Site Co-Founder
    • ST Excalibur
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 05:22:39 PM »
bes you are correct, max doesnt properly import the objs which nifskope can export... thats why we still need the max plugins.. and thats why we have people workign on it :)

Offline Cube

• DJcube
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 05:42:17 AM »
bes you are correct, max doesnt properly import the objs which nifskope can export... thats why we still need the max plugins.. and thats why we have people workign on it :)

Great news for everyone, espcieally those with Vista (who can only run Max 9, and don't have the option of using Max 3.1).

So, this importer should be compatable with Ships and bridges, then (and character animations)?

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 08:18:11 AM »
Great news for everyone, espcieally those with Vista (who can only run Max 9, and don't have the option of using Max 3.1).

So, this importer should be compatable with Ships and bridges, then (and character animations)?

Well, character meshes will probably work, but not the stock animations.
Reason is that they used the animonly tool in the SDK that strips the model parts of the files leaving only the keyframe info, so you cannot backport that kind of file because there?s no mesh to point at max.