Author Topic: Tribute to USS Sovereign  (Read 3180 times)

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
Tribute to USS Sovereign
« on: May 25, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
As we all know, USS Sovereign has retired from scripting for BC.

I would like to create a video to pay hommage for all the complex scripting that USS Sovereign has done.  He has done exceptional work over the years and has brought new life to BC.

First off...I would like permission from USS Sovereign, to use his name and works for visual display in the creation of a new video.  (I'll probably just look for his e-mail and try that.)

Second...I would like permission from all the projects that USS Sovereign has worked on for visual display in the creation of a new video.

Third...I was thinking, that some people of the community who have benefited from USS Sovereign's works to chip in a little something (whether it be a picture or an audio recording of "Thank You" or "Thanks")

Any suggestions for scene layout, fly-bys, music, font or whatever to be used in this project will be greatly appreciated.

jb76 edit - vid posted at BCFiles: http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Sovvie_tribute_Video;79557

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
Re: Tribute to USS Sovereign?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:42:49 PM »
JimmyB pointed this thread to me.

First of all: Wow, thanks I'm flattered.

So:

First off...I would like permission from USS Sovereign, to use his name and works for visual display in the creation of a new video.  (I'll probably just look for his e-mail and try that.)

Permission granted, you didn't even need to ask

Second...I would like permission from all the projects that USS Sovereign has worked on for visual display in the creation of a new video.

Granted too
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:23:35 PM »
"you didn't even need to ask"

Actually, I prefer to have confirmation even though it's widely accepted.

I even made the sol system in a certain arrangement using your tutorial.  It will definately look good on video.  I have already started capturing some scenes.

I'm putting my best foot foward for this one.

Offline Legacy

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 1566
  • Praetor of the empire.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
It's just nice to ask, and even nicer when someone does that showing respect.

Well deserved buddy.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
Actually, I prefer to have confirmation even though it's widely accepted.

I even made the sol system in a certain arrangement using your tutorial.  It will definately look good on video.  I have already started capturing some scenes.

I'm putting my best foot foward for this one.

Very polite and professional :) BTW Thanks again

It's just nice to ask, and even nicer when someone does that showing respect.

True

Well deserved buddy.

Thanks
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
Here's a quick update...

The video is sitting at 1 minute 4 seconds and I'm targeting around 5 minutes.  It may exceed this anyway.

I made a plaque which will be used in the video, using text transistions to show various projects that Sovvie has worked on.

I never used photoshop this much before so I guess I'm pulling out all the stops on this one.
The dedication plaque may be different, in looks, when the video is complete since I am still fooling around with the buttons on photoshop.

Spoiler: show

I would also like to put up any "farewell" or "thank you" messages on it from the BC community...If you could submit a quick message to me either by email or through msn.

Offline cordanilus

Re: Tribute to USS Sovereign
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 10:24:23 PM »
Should I include the blooper, or have it as a seperate video?

Blooper will probably run about a minute long.

And it's at 3 and a half minutes now.

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 05:16:18 AM »
Include it lol.

Offline cordanilus

Re: Tribute to USS Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »
The video is pretty much done now.  It's at 6 minutes 6 seconds, including the blooper.

It is definately a good video and I hope it does USS Sovereign justice, with all the work he has put into this community.  It has taken me about 16 hours to compile and render this video, I get increasingly better at it with more and more practice.

It's going to take an hour to render it in mpg format then another half hour to re-render it into wmv which will probably be around 30-50 mb once it's done.

So ,maybe it'll be on youtube tonight but I think I'll submit it to bcfiles first and wait a few days before posting it on youtube.

RhVaurek

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:25:16 PM »
 Bugger I wasn't aware of this well, anyway Great idea Cordanilus, I always thought there was some tributes to be made to the Premier modders and scripters out there :D
 For my part I want to say thanks to USS Soveriegn we all appreciate your work in making BC a heck of alot better than its original conception.

Can't wait to see the movie, I'll check in the morning! Gnight all.

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 10:42:52 PM »
I may extend this a day since I am still looking for people to submit something to be put onto the video.  I also contacted a number of people to give them a heads up incase they didn't see this thread.

This video is going to be amazing.  I get all tingly watching it, lol.

Somebody clobber me, I think I need it...

Offline Vortex

• Modder in Learning
  • Cookies: 28
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »
*Clobber*
Consider it done lol :P

As you've done the video, it probably will be good lol. (If not Awesome)

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:13:53 AM »
Well...the video is done.

I just used megaupload to sned it to bcfiles.
Never tried it this way but can transfer huge files this way.
The .rar is 82.28 MB. (funny it's that size.)

I have a smaller one with reduced quality that I may submit.  it's about 26 MB.  Still a sizeable file but may be more manageable for dial-up users.

I forgot to put the divx player requirement in the readme but I can always send another email with an updated readme.

I know one person who missed the deadline...Starforce2.  Sorry guy, I was already in the process of uploading it to megashare when you sent me a message, ( I guess when you found out).

I put in a general "Thank You" for those who missed the deadline anyway before I finalized the video.

Well, there it is.

Hope you like it Sovvie.

Offline Bones

• Cookies: 639
  • SPAAAAAAAAACE !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 03:02:12 PM »
Damn it ! I've missed the deadline too  :x I should check my mail more often ...

I just want to say Thanks to USS Sovereign and that we all appreciate your great work, you've been making BC even more better and funny  :)

Offline Phaser

• Star Trek Canon Authority
  • Cookies: 231
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
I had no idea USS Sovereign was retiring from scripting!  That's what I get for not visiting the BCS: TNG forums. lol

Anyway, it's been a pleasure, USS Sovereign.  Your contributions to BC are priceless.  Everyone else took the words right out of my mouth, so there's not much more I can say except "Thank you!"

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
I had no idea USS Sovereign was retiring from scripting!  That's what I get for not visiting the BCS: TNG forums. lol
*smacks phaser*
ya, no sh!t :P

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »
I just saw the video...
it's nice for a dedication video. I would have used that Gladiator track complete, not just a part. it really would fit the video.
L'dMAO on the blooper part

for the record: mixing capitals and low case letters don't do it justice.
try BankGothicLt of CopperlateGothicBd. it's the font most of the movie makers use in trailers or movies.
they are all capitals, just different sizes.
aaaand: most of the directors fit the soundtrack to the movie, here you can't make the music yourself (unless you're a little Beethoven, which is doubtfull), but you already have music to choose. so the best thing is to fit the video to the music. takes a bit longer, but the final result is awesome.

SO sad Sovvie is retiring. let's hope he trains someone to replace him (I was told that P$ych0 was learning from him), his mods really deserve a golden plaque on BC's hall of fame

Offline cordanilus

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »
Cool, I went searching online and found a website with a bunch of free fonts.
I found out that I have Copper Plate font already and it looks mighty good.

Actually, that particular song was only about 10 seconds longer then what I put in the video.
I chose the ff7 song "Dvinity II" because that's the part in the movie when cloud is battling Bahamut.  I thought it triumphent music and gladiator wouldn't suffice.

I have a lagre repitoire of music but more then half of them are powwow music and I guess you don't want to hear that on the video, lol.  Would sound to strange for trek.

I like your comment Nighthawk, it's straight-foward.  That's the kind of comments I would like to hear more often.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure why I added the extra video at the end...I think it was because I never used the thrusters on a ship before.  I guess it would have been better to leave it out.

RhVaurek

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 04:22:55 PM »
 Nice vid there Cordanilus as always. :D
 Loved the blooper lol never seen anything like that before happen, nice music choices too, even though I never was that fond of that particular track from FFVII:AC but then I got the movie and its soundtrack so I get to choose from the rest.

Offline JimmyB76

• Cookies: 421
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 05:24:10 PM »
link to vid:
http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Sovvie_tribute_Video;79557

*updating first post and moving this thread to Downloads*