Author Topic: Virtual Memory Problem  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Billz

• Cookies: 45
  • Doctor who? ;)
Virtual Memory Problem
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
Well, pretty much after I stop playing BC using high end models, I get the 'Virtual Memory Is Too Low' pop-up box on my Windows task-bar.

Im confused why this is happening because im using 1GB DDR2 Ram, a X1900XTX Radeon Card, a P4 3.06ghz processor on 1 of 2 70gb HDDs (havnt ordered a 500gb HDD yet).

Can anyone explain this?
Can't wait for 2014 to start.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
Re: Virtual Memory Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:36 AM »
Ok, virtual memory is physical memory (those sticks in your computer casing) + the page file on your harddrive.
If you are space limited, and you have a lot of programs running (check taskmanager) then you are bound to run out of (virtual) memory, since BC needs to keep all those models in memory (for applying damage and such).

Try closing down some of the more memory intensive programs you may be running in the background (FireFox, Word/Office).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline cordanilus

• Cookies: 608
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »
Finding the Virtual Memory settings

Go to:

Control Panel
System Icon
Advanced Tab
Under "Performance", click Settings
Again, look for the Advanced tab

at the bottom is the settings for Virtual Memory.  Mine is set at 1536 MB, other computers may vary and you can increase or decrease those settings with the "change" button.

The amount you set is derived from space on the hard drive and can vary for each drive you have.  Just make sure you have available space for the virtual memory on the hard drive otherwise you'll get the "Virtual Memory is Too Low" more often.

Hope this helps.

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 12:44:37 AM »
as a living testimony, I strongly reccomend avoiding the use of virtual memory unless you're gonna use it once in a while, with long time spaces between uses (rendering a 3d scene of editing graphics or moving big amounts of data). you'll end up using phisical space that you might need for other purposes, and the amount of space you use won't be available until you format or defrag.
and if you're running BC from a slave or secondary IDE disk, don't even think about it.
if you know you have a fast HD, you can still use it, but don't rely on it too much.

if you need more memory, the best choice is to buy memory sticks, or reduce the graphic quality.

is your CPU dual-core?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 05:48:51 AM »
Excuse me for laughing, but lol.

There is in this day and age no way possible not to use the page file/virtual memory. The only ways possible are configuring Unix/Linux not to use it (prepare to get a lot of Ram), getting Dos, or some other OS flavour without virtual memory.
Even plain vanilla Windows 95 uses a page file. :P
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Mario

• Senior Software Developer
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1706
  • Life is life
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 07:43:10 AM »
LOL Nighthawk

A few questions:

1. What are your current Page File settings?
2. How much free memory do you have now (Hard Drive)?
3. How many programs do you run when you play BC? (Usually it's wise to run only games and not any programs lol)
4. Do you ever use disk defragmenter?
Acta, non verba.
aka USS Sovereign