Author Topic: Federation Damage FX - Update 12th May  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
Re: Federation Damage FX
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
will this become some sort of race specific damage mod?, it be wicked to have seperate damage textures for klingons, roms and the other races,

Heeey, I think that's an AWESOME idea! O_O Chyea!!!

Asylum

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 05:48:32 PM »
awsome work there, its great to see people branching off into different areas... and this is awsome  :)

Offline Jb06

• Cookies: 968
  • JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »
thanks people.

As for the race damage fx... im not sure. I would have to ask nano if it is possible.

The only problem with the actual deck damage compared to the normal damage in bc is that sometimes they decks can be stretched in one place, which sometimes doesnt look pretty, though overall i'd prefer damage like this over the existing ones.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 833
  • Software Simian
    • the Programming Pantheon
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 06:39:12 PM »
I see a couple of problems.

We can't change the shield and hull damage per ship. I suppose only those "sprites" are possible to do per ship (through NanoFX, but that might require some editing on the NanoFX front).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »
yup thats why i sed i might have to contact nano, unless you have any ideas how to do it mleo?

thank

~Jb06

JLS

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
To my knowledge, not possible.
But there are a couple of things even I have yet to try (like "breaking" into the "set" of a ship).

That means, so far, not possible (to my knowledge, Nano might know a bit more, but it has been a while for him, I believe).
I still can't read peoples minds, nor can I read peoples computers, even worse, I can't combine the two to read what is going wrong with your BC install...

"It was filed under 'B' for blackmail." - Morse, Inspector Morse - The dead of Jericho.

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions - Founder
  • Cookies: 36
    • ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 07:25:52 AM »
Hi, i know it's been a while since anybody's posted and it's a bit off topic but i don't know if you've noticed, when a ship get a hull breach you see a wire like structure on the ship where the hull used to be. Is there any way to remove that so there's just a little bit sticking out on the edges of the breach? I think that'd make the damage look much more real.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 08:49:39 AM »
There is a way and i have actually tried it for this. I'll try post some update pics on the damagefx soon. I mainly been concentrating on the DQP, but these will get done.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
Good thing you posted, since I, um, haven't tried yet.  :oops:

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
Lol, anyway the current damage textures that you're working on look fantastic. Can't wait to try them out. Should look pretty good on POTD's. Actually has anyone ever thought of releasing a set of mods just to optimise potd's?

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is kinda like having a peeing section in a pool...

Picard_1

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008, 04:54:34 PM »
I've been sick to death in bc of the horrid damage fx ingame

I was thinking about this just the other day. I've always wanted to see the damage textures
from Star Trek VI where the torpedo hits have electricity swirling around it.

Forcefields and fires look good up close, but will they look like orange and blue blobs from far away?
Images tend to distort in BC the further you are away from the object.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
  • Cookies: 531
  • Welcome to the Dark Side
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 08:57:18 AM »
Excellent work.

Is it possible to lengthen out the animation?, either to slow it down or increase its length? Its only failing is that it is too repetitious, but I have to say you did a fantastic job.

Offline Jb06

• JL Studios Co-Founder
    • JL Studios
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:21 AM »
yeh, there is 31 frames now i believe. I havent worked on these for a while since the DQP and the Ultimate stargate pack is taking up most of my time. I can easily increase the number of frames which i believe was one of my intentions, i just made 31 frames as this started out as a test.

~Jb06

JLS

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
If you want to keep the size down, I suggest you lower the overall animation activity for most of it, perhaps a few small flares or fires, followed by a torrent of flashes, then a torrent of force fields and sparks. Otherwise, most of the sparks and fires should be subdued. Then you can make it really long, as the size would be minimal.

Offline Bren

• DS9FX Team
  • Cookies: 33
  • 6EQUJ5
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
That wouldn't really help, Raven. The filesize is based on the picture content of each frame, there is no animation-based compression, since each frame is essentially a small TGA picture file. Things that would make a difference are lowering resolution and decreasing the contrast. However, both of these are detrimental to visual quality.

Additionally, keeping the animation length down (and therefore fewer frames) is desirable, as it means less of a memory footprint.
"The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves, we will, one day, venture to the stars." - Carl Sagan

Klingon Academy now works on XP/Vista/Win 7 thanks to one dude's patches, click here for details. I highly recommend it!

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 03:49:04 AM »
Ok, fair enough...why not use very low rez frames then for dead time. Im sure you could set up a sequence that could benefit from set dead time. Would that work?

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
A texture based animation is a texture with a grid of small images, all in the same tga.

Though, there isn't really a limitation to using multiple texture sources, but it's how NanoFX does things.

Offline Raven Night

• Models/Textures
    • Personal ModDB site
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »
Ok, first, are we talking about base NanoFX, the Nightsoft product? If so, perhaps a modification of that mod is in order. You certainly have my permission to change it, I will look into the Nightsoft side of things. Perhaps that would be a solution.

Offline MLeo

• Retired Staff
  • Software Simian
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2008, 06:58:53 PM »
TBH, I've always made modifications for it (general fixes).
TBEMH (To Be Even More Honest) I forgot that NightSoft acquired it. There was/is even some copyright business (Nano used parts of an unreleased framework from Dasher, and sold NanoFX, with those parts, to you, without permission about those parts).

Offline ChronowerX_GT

• ChronowerX Productions
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
I know this may sound very stupid but I had an idea. I was looking at the pic of the damaged Constellation and I was wondering if there could be 2 layers of textures in the game. The top layer would be what you normally see and the second one would be like the hull structure. Is there any way that you could make the bottom layer take no visual damage (except perhaps take holes in it) but keep the top one as normal? Actually is it even possible to create 2 layers?