Author Topic: Non ST modelling projects  (Read 9462 times)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
Non ST modelling projects
« on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:58 AM »
my last one:

my new one:

Have bought a Neodymium magnet pack for this one. I want to magnetise the weapons so that they're posable and interchangeable. The other Titans at my GW aren't able to aim their weapons independently, or disassemble, which will give me Mega-Points for coolness, and eliminate the major thing they complain about. Titan will be in the same colour scheme as the baneblade.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
Re: Non ST modelling projects
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 05:23:29 AM »
very cool man,
im gonna give you a cookie just because the amount of patience it would have taken to paint all those little bolts  :lol:

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
hehe, took an evening.

Doing the whole thing took about 2 weeks. First I sprayed the whole thing off-white, and then highlighted with a lighter shade. I then masking taped up the bits I wanted to stay white and sprayed over with two different greens. Finally I touched up the edges. and painted the details.

*nibbles on cookie*

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 10:42:12 AM »
You've got a Baneblade and a Warhound... you rich bitch!!

But nice sheme on the Baneblade, did you do it with the spray and blu-tac/masking tape technique? I'm waiting for Col to get off his arse and spray his and my house will have a full tank company and ready for some massive Apocalypse/Floorhammer stuff. My next thing on the list has to be a Cursader, they're just not proper Sword Bretheren without it!
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: -65520
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »
Awesome RC.  finally someone else who models in plastic!!  Weathering and dry brushing looks good, but it could use an oil wash to bring out the lines a bit better.  Do you do a lot of scale modeling?
Viper
"The original Meister der Brucken"

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 12:52:12 PM »
It's just a kit from Games Workshop, not customised much by the looks of it (which is a shame, because if I was going to spend ?65 on a tank, there's no way in hell I'd leave it "as is")
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 01:18:15 PM »
was it bought pre-painted and all?  Or did you have to assemble and finish it?
Viper

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 07:26:03 AM »
It needed to be assembled and painted. The Baneblade Super-Heavy tank came in more than a hundred plastic bits, which I assembled and then airbrushed, using masking tape for the camo scheme. Details were picked out with a paintbrush. The tracks could use more weathering, but I'm not trying that out for the first time on a tank worth ?60. (coming on ?150 including paints, tape, airbrush and air canisters).

Paint mix is:
Green: Base: Catatchan Green, Highlight: Snot Green
White/Cream:Base: Kommando Khaki, Highlight: Kommando Khaki and Skull White 1:1

The warhound has more than 250 resin parts, which I've just finished cleaning up. I'm moving on to scrubbing and unwarping now. (to remove mould grease and fix minor warping in the carapace.)

With a marine honour guard:

The marines shown are WIPs as well. They're marines 77-92 of a 100 man Battle Company. I need to find 5 or 6 rhino hulls from somewhere as well to complete the set.

I did an inventory this morning and found I had around 216 models painted and WIP, including 2 Land Raiders, 2 dreadnaughts, 2 landspeeders and 6 Rhino-based vehicles. I must lay it all out on the kitchen table and take some photos of the entire collection.

Offline lint

• Cookies: 211
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
you did an awesome job on that remote man,  :lol:,
;)

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
The marines shown are WIPs as well. They're marines 77-92 of a 100 man Battle Company. I need to find 5 or 6 rhino hulls from somewhere as well to complete the set.

So, did you invest in the Company box set too? I thought you were still an impoverished student.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 01:27:43 PM »
Nope. I've built up that many marines over a period of time. If I'd bought the battle company boxed set, I wouldn't be short on Rhinos. The Baneblade was my 40k project for October. The Titan was a sort of Christmas gift to myself. I haven't really been drinking as much as I used to, so I'd built up a little bit of money for something special.

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
nice.  I would recommend trying silly putty for the masking of the camo.  It works quite well.  Also, for the tracks, try painting them black or dark grey, then rub the contact areas with a lead pencil.  It will give it the warn down metal look.  then use a little earth colored chalk to hit the road wheels and insides of the metal for that rust look.  I've got hundreds of models.  Built and unbuilt.  Everything from military to sci/fi to police and aircraft. 

Here's one of my tanks.  Its an M88A1 Recovery vehicle. US Army, Iraq

and here is one of my ST figures.  Ambassador Spock
Viper

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 02:46:18 PM »
Lead pencil sounds like an interesting idea to try. Usually I just go for a very, very, dry brush of boltgun metal and then a very, very, very dry brush of mithryl silver (Games Workshop paints, a dark looking metal and a lighter silvery one for those who don't know).

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:29:54 PM »
yep. another one to try, is if you can get to an art supply store, pic up a silver Prismacolor pencil.  Its a soft lead.  Worked great for highlighting and "paint chipping".  I've been doing models for years, and have one several awards.  I've learned a lot over the years.  The newest thing I've been working with is pre-shading.  Which is building the model, priming it in grey, then going over certain areas in black before painting the final color.  It gives the illusion of paint weathering.  This is my CH-47 Chinook.  Its one several awards and its the first model I preshaded.

You can also see the use of the prismacolor silver near the front of the sponsons and the door.  Here is one that was post shaded. It was painted with all its camo, then the panel lines were airbrushed at about 5psi and a super thin mix of flat black and clear smoke. 

If you want to learn more, and pick up some good tips, I recommend http://cs.finescale.com/forums/Default.aspx   Its a modeling forum, and there is a section just on sci/fi.  Its like my second home.
Viper

intrepid90

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 03:39:40 PM »
wow, quite amazing stuff guys.
I like modelling as well, but atm I absolutely dont have any time...
my ones dont look that professional, but quite good though I think :)
maybe I'll post some pics soon

Offline Senator

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 226
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
Well, nice stuff RC and all but whoa, awesome Viper.

I was doing models too when I was young-er but I was seeing them more like "toys you get to assemble" and then always played with them, usually with not very professional modeler results (gears and antennas were the first to go and all aircraft slowly seemed to convert themselves to tailess versions)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »
Wow viper, you're clrearly way beyond my skill level. Whilst I'm really, really pleased with the way the Baneblade came out when I put some extra effort in, when you're painting 15 marines to use in a game in only a few days away you tend to shoot for 'good enough' rather than 'excellent'.

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
that recovery vehicle went on a diorama with about 30-40 figures.  So I do know what your talking about.  Here is a shot of it with the figures.  all hand painted.  I havent done figures since.

Viper

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 04:07:28 AM »
Sweet, full on diorama's is where it's at.

So, when are you going to put up the Warhound? I hear from some forgeworld enthusiasts that it's almost more trouble than it's worth since it will fall down one day. But a sweet base with crushed up orks under the feet and curmbled walls/barbed wire would be cool, it'll be more than big enough.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 11:47:34 AM »
I'm magnetising the waist, hips, head and weapons. I'll be able to dismantle it and store it properly, so it won't fall down, because there'll be nothing sticking out to get caught.

I've only got transfers left to apply to the 15 marines I've been painting (numbers 77-92) , and the warhound is next on the to-do list. I'd like to do a nice base, but enemy/friendly inspecific.