Author Topic: Non ST modelling projects  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Armondikov

• Cookies: 21
Re: Non ST modelling projects
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2008, 10:45:06 AM »
Told you it would rub off :P Give it a very, very good undercoat.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 04:00:43 AM »
Haha. :D

Well, the first attempt at painting didn't go very well. I thought I'd scrubbed and washed thoroughly, but obviously not. The paint didn't stick, and gunked up the control panel and a few bits of machinery. It's going to be a pain to sort out. This was despite being undercoated with varnish.

Edit: Possible that not much harm was done, the paint seems to be scraping off nicely.
with models like those, you better paint them BEFORE glueing them. more with small pieces.
I had a small WW2 japanese Zero bomber I modelled when I was about 10. had roughly big pieces, but it said in the package that you must paint them before putting it together. as you might wonder, I didn't.  :(
the model was well glued and mounted, but my bad painting ruined it all.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
  • Cookies: 51
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2008, 04:54:56 AM »
I haven't stuck together any bits that would make painting any part of the model difficult.

Offline Viper

• Retired Administrator
  • Cookies: -65520
  • BC Legend
    • KAG
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
See, I go the opposite on most stuff.  aircraft and similar stuff gets fully assembled, the seams filled and sanded smooth.  Then I mask off canopies and what not and start the painting.  That way its all a uniform coat of paint.  It backfire some times, but not often.
Viper
"The original Meister der Brucken"

Offline Nighthawk

• |______[o]_|
  • Cookies: 18
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2008, 06:49:39 PM »
the quickest way to paint these things is with spray, or aerographer. you just lay them in a surface and paint them all at the same time (those with the same color, of course). if you don't have spray, arm yourself with patience and paint them by hand. it's not the same, but it's a good de-stresser lol.
instead of masking and then painting, you just glue them already painted, and where the glue rubs off then you just correct that part (if you really need to, if it's small and off view, don't bother)

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
There are certainly two schools when it comes to paint-assemble or assemble-paint. I go for a combination, based on what's easiest and most appropriate. But if you're using polycement, it's best not to put it on top of paint unless you want it to burn, get messy and not stick properly.
"This is my Earth, and it's fine. It's where I spend the vast majority of my time. It's not perfect, but it's mine."

Offline ACES_HIGH

• BCC Roleplay Game Narrator
  • Cookies: 54
  • while(!(succeed=try()));
    • BCC Roleplay Games
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
yeah, I usually paint parts before I glue them, if I screw up and something isn't even I just touch it up by hand, here's a few examples of mine.

(I am wiring the U-2 with LEDs)

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:36 AM »
I'm usually of the 'assemble then paint' school. But when there are interiors to do you just can't reach everywhere if you assemble first. I'll paint the interior, then I'll finish assembly, then I'll airbrush the outside and do the details with a brush.

Unfortunately, my flatmates have taken to using my brushes and paints themselves. They use a vast quantity of paint, more than I would on an entire squad of infantry, and are both too rough with the brushes and allow paint to gunk them up.

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
Damned brush abusers!

I remember my Immolator, since I painted it in separate pieces, I've actuallly neglected to glue it together. So if it gets blown up, it makes more interesting debris on the field :P Also, I store the spare guns inside it.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 05:19:55 AM »
Well, this thread's been quiet for a while. I've been painting the rear compartment.

The Bitz box is a little bit of a joke...

Also, the rest of my army has reached full battle company strength, just need to get a few more transports together. Though they're not mandatory, in large games they are certainly required.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
  • Dyin' inna fiar, plz hold
    • My Page -- Team Lynxifer
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:11 AM »
I really need to pick up some of the forge world stuff. I've got a wish list as long as my arm. I've been holding back a bit so that I can get some of my other stuff painted. Still got a few fire warriors to finish off, 3 hammer heads and then the remaining odds and sods from my chaos marines.

I'm sorely tempted by forge worlds malcurius with it's horribly phat vulcan mega bolters, but it's a lot of money.

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2008, 09:26:23 AM »
I love that version. The Macharius is a very nice looking tank. The Malcador is FUGLY though.

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »
That's some impressive paint work for fiddly interiors, so long as you keep it up for the rest of the titan.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2008, 08:28:59 AM »
Nearly finished my first squad of fire warriors, only got one left to finish painting before I can go and base the lot of them. Should get it done tonight, expect pictures soon.

Offline Glempius

• Master of Science!
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 03:27:59 PM »
Here's the fire warriors I mentioned, their completion was somewhat delayed when I came down with a mild case of Nurgle's rot

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2008, 02:17:07 AM »
That's a pretty cool coulour scheme. A nice change from the standard tan and brown.

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
Yes, quite effective. My housemate's Tau are all in Dark Angels Green and a few other dark greens (can't remember specifically), which is odd considering we play urban games almost exclusively so he gives everything jungle/forest camo colours (including the guard).

Offline RCgothic

• Retired Staff
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
Progress!

Offline Aeries

• Cookies: 226
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2008, 05:09:51 PM »
O_O;

Offline Armondikov

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »
Is this a case of "holy shizzle my Reaver is coming soon and I need to look busy" ?