Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 168723 times)

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 13, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »
well right now the server is down but theres a bunch of us waitin around for the server to come back up now would be a good time to look us on over at our boards. We have also set up a teamspeak (v2) server to use for communication during our times in the game

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1081 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Bah, of course patching happens during prime game playing time. I may not have a chance to actually play the frigging game until the weekend.

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #1082 on: January 13, 2010, 10:41:04 PM »
Went down about this time yesterday, too. At least it's somewhat consistent. *chuckles*
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1083 on: January 13, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »
yeah luckly it went down right after i finished my rescue mission i took a miranda against a orion pirate BB and won with 82 percent hull left it was a tough fight trying to crack its shields alot of SFC influence in the space battle but ya can refit her out with better stuff all around

Offline Darkthunder

• Vice Administrator
  • Cookies: 1527
« Reply #1084 on: January 13, 2010, 11:20:59 PM »
Bah, of course patching happens during prime game playing time. I may not have a chance to actually play the frigging game until the weekend.

Primetime for you, may not be Primetime for everyone else thou. Since we're all playing on the same server regardless of timezone. Here in Sweden, it's currently 5:15 AM (Thursday), so i'm pretty fine with the EMERGENCY maintenance being performed on the server. All day Wednesday it's been rubber-banding and lag issues. It was bound to require some maintenance. Cryptic then had 2 choices:

1. Leave the servers up in an unplayable state during "primetime" for some players, and thus pissing everyone off by leaving the issues present.

2. Shutdown the server for maintenance to try and fix the problems, and thus allow the players to try out the game (the way it was meant to be played)

One needs to remember, that this is a BETA we are currently playing. There's bound to be plenty of problems along the road, and it is up to us players to report any and all things that might be bugged so that Cryptic has a thorough list to go through. As I have been monitoring the official forums since this latest downtime, it is clear to me that there are FAR too many people who think of the STO "Open Beta" as some sort of extended demo. Which clearly, it is not.

Last few days of Closed Beta, the game was functioning quite nicely. Now that there are far more people playing the game, Cryptic gets an idea of where they need to go with their "Load Balance".
Official BCC Discord ยท https://discord.gg/nJAx4HNQ2G
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #1085 on: January 13, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »
My name in-game is: Oajoayea@bes12000 if anyone here wants to friend me and/or call on me if you need help...if im not already engaged of course..

I also bought the game so its probably going to be the same name....this is fed atm im almost level 6 (im LT5 atm).

By the way...if anyone didnt notice this yet... if you know your screwed and your ships going to blow up....try to take out a shield and drive as close as possible to that ship before you blow up....you might get lucky and take them with you! :-)

Did that on accident earlier when fighting a really uber Neghvar... i took out its side shield and at the same time my ship was blowing up and my shock wave hit the klingon ship for around 6000 and it blew up..ROFL..

Offline Barihawk

• Ninth Fleet STO Commanding Officer
  • Cookies: 225
  • BC: The Aftermath Member
    • My Released Work
« Reply #1086 on: January 14, 2010, 07:20:43 AM »
One needs to remember, that this is a BETA we are currently playing. There's bound to be plenty of problems along the road, and it is up to us players to report any and all things that might be bugged so that Cryptic has a thorough list to go through. As I have been monitoring the official forums since this latest downtime, it is clear to me that there are FAR too many people who think of the STO "Open Beta" as some sort of extended demo. Which clearly, it is not.

I for one agree that it is a beta, however the majority of Cryptic's userbase (and the company themselves) is American. Those in the Eastern and Central Timezones, however, get shafted by this maintenance schedule if we also work full time during the day, since by the time we've come home and eaten and done our daily business, it's 8 pm and patch time. For West Coast (where Cryptic is), this patch time is over and done with and still plenty of playtime during the night. That's my complaint.

I for one found the game nearly unplayable to rubberbanding last night in the short time I could play but when the servers came up briefly before I went to bed, it was great. I'm not one of those "oh, open beta means free demo" bullshitters that are bitching the STO forums up and down. I do highly enjoy the game, but they need a more reasonable patching schedule.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #1087 on: January 14, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »
As i stated in a previous post ,i have found myself in a love/hate with cryptic, like my 3 ex wives, i love em..at first..for offering me something new and exciting. But like my 3 ex wives, something eventually small becomes big and disturbing...okay thats a grim analogy. Champions online started so so for me but at nearly level 30 with my main, DAYSTAR PRIME, i find myself loving the damned game.

With STO if this was not star trek, i would have grown weary of the game as i have seen it most likely,and been carried on faith since the server bugs are downright intolerable at times. Whats interesting is that i get the bugs when its least inconvenient,...if i am engaged in combat ora mission, i have yet to have any issues..knock on wood.

This being said..i LOVE this game and since i can really say i have experience ast handling the way cryptic does mmos, and no 2 really,the fact they consider STO top priority company wide, this = a win down the long road because they will be focused on it..heck half the reasons champions had issues was they had more focus on STO first anyways.

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1088 on: January 14, 2010, 08:38:23 AM »
As i stated in a previous post ,i have found myself in a love/hate with cryptic, like my 3 ex wives, i love em..at first..for offering me something new and exciting. But like my 3 ex wives, something eventually small becomes big and disturbing...okay thats a grim analogy. Champions online started so so for me but at nearly level 30 with my main, DAYSTAR PRIME, i find myself loving the damned game.

Thats a unique way to describe  a love/hate relationship for a game rofl
Well the 9th will be out in force today going to try to focus on fleet action movements, do some PvP. anyone wants in drop me a PM or stop by the 9th boards

Offline BES

« Reply #1089 on: January 14, 2010, 03:34:53 PM »
Cryptic needs to fire their tech guys..lool ...500 internal  server error....it crashed...ROFL..

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #1090 on: January 14, 2010, 03:36:48 PM »
Yeah, I come home from school with no reason whats so ever not to play the game for once, and the server crashed.

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1091 on: January 14, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
not again and i was about to come back on well this isnt unexpected this is a beta

Offline BES

« Reply #1092 on: January 14, 2010, 03:50:09 PM »
not again and i was about to come back on

There is no ETA this time...just "as soon as possible"

Offline Voyager16

• Modding is improving.
  • Cookies: 9
  • KM - Mod Team Member
« Reply #1093 on: January 14, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
The more they do know, the less they need to fix when the game is out. ;)

@9th fleet, is it all roleplaying or what? Because that is fun with Elite Force, but not an option for me with STO.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #1094 on: January 14, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
Well I finally manged to download it this morning, been playing since I came home from exams; and I think it's great!

I love my Miranda class, I couldn't think of a good name, so I just called it the USS Beagle.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline BES

« Reply #1095 on: January 14, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »
A lot of stuff doesnt work now since the patch :-(

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #1096 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:53 PM »
If anyone wants to play with me, Tuskin@Tuskin38. Though right now it won't load my characters, it just sitting there.

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1097 on: January 14, 2010, 07:27:05 PM »
the servers are up i just recently got done with a fleet mission got my ship blown up like 4 times but didnt loose a thing so dont be afraid to get killed u will respawn.
It is really best to fleet up on some missions i too am flying a good ol miranda class USS Dawg hehehe look for me in the sector block in sirius sector

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #1098 on: January 14, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
I was near the end of a Mission where you have to destroy a Klingon Listening post, in the Risa sector I think, I'm at the end and my graphics card decides it wants to crash the drivers :P which causes the game to freeze and I had to restart the computer, and because it took so long to restart the computer, I was put back at the beginning of the mission.

Offline Ryles

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #1099 on: January 15, 2010, 02:34:32 AM »
I must admit, I haven't played much so far in Open Beta... but I had a total blast in Closed. As such, I picked up my life time subscription tonight.