Author Topic: Star Trek Online thread  (Read 169243 times)

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
Re: Star Trek Online thread
« Reply #1280 on: January 29, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »
I can't even get past the launcher. Says "unable to authenticate".
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Dawg81

• Cookies: 29
  • I am Dawg; Resistence is futile
« Reply #1281 on: January 29, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »
Same here and its strange the boards say the server is down but the launcher says that the server is up

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #1282 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
Oh dear..There is a MASSIVE Raging across champions forums..i'll summarize the details..but this is becoming uncomfortably reminiscent of the SWG early screw overs by SOE. Champions online fans have been patiently waiting for the "Holes"in their unfinished start game to be filled since launch. Cryptic a few days ago announced a "Legendary" update was coming. They announced the new zone, and expansion..will be PAID for. The Flaming is pretty Nasty and i know (i am not exaggerating this folks) half of my supergroup has Rage quit today.   They further shot themselves in the foot because on the STO forums they made a remark about how STO new content will be FREE at the same time the tell CO players they have to PAY! Someone seriously has to get cryptic to LOSE their Cocky "we got star trek IP we rule the MMO universe watch out wow!" attitude and power trip that i smell happening..

Well, I'm gonna keep trying to be patient and I'm hoping being that this is head start, cryptic is on top of fixing this. The Funny thing is that i tell myself that this is no different than the buggy beginnings i experienced in Pirates of burning sea,a game i use as comparison because it was my all time favorite MMO that i was with from Open beta to a year after launch up until its horrid community drove me away for good. Remembering this, helps me to be a little more patient because the choppy beginning did prove to drastically get better and better as time went on.

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1283 on: January 29, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
im able to get on

Offline BES

• Cookies: 5
« Reply #1284 on: January 29, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
Them making people wait for the preorder items until FEB 2nd is utterly retarded...that stuff will be useless by then...

They wont accept the headstart key...has to be a retail key...

Offline Joshmaul

• Lunatic with a Starship
  • Cookies: 8
  • A Mind Without Purpose Will Walk in Dark Places
« Reply #1285 on: January 29, 2010, 03:42:34 PM »
Strange. I saw someone with a TOS Connie running around not five minutes ago (and that was just before the server went pfft, lol).
"If one does as God does enough times, one will become as God is." - Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Offline Dalek

• Cookies: 206
« Reply #1286 on: January 29, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
There was a special offer pre-order from somewhere which allowed you to play as a TOS Connie.
"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those whose lives are brief can imagine that love is eternal. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."

- Lorien

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1287 on: January 29, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »
i have a few choice words for that &(*^*&^)(&)&(*^*(&)(*(*^(&(*)^&$#$#%$$%&^^(&*)(*)_&
use your imagination

Offline Tuskin38

• Cookies: 111
« Reply #1288 on: January 29, 2010, 11:08:51 PM »
Strange. I saw someone with a TOS Connie running around not five minutes ago (and that was just before the server went pfft, lol).

Maybe some place sent out a retail key early.

Offline Nebula

• BC elder / BCC Vice Admin
  • Administrator
  • Cookies: 1129
  • KM - Mod Team Member & BC - Elder (2002)
    • 9th fleet HQ
« Reply #1289 on: January 29, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
I was one of the first to get in STO, just stopped playing it hmm about an hour ago.
been non stop fun for uh 9 hours.
Canon is what people argue exists on ships that don't exist.

Offline Daystar70

• Cookies: 10
« Reply #1290 on: January 30, 2010, 01:31:00 AM »
I had a lot of stuff come up offline, but i got to level 4 and will hop back in soon. The changes to my crew thus far-

i made George Kane as "custom alien" and took telekinesis, which is cool to have. My in game story is he was on a mission a few yrs back to stop some
Romulan Terrorists hell bent on vengeance against the Vulcans (see the comic: countdown the vulcans stalled approving red matter technology to help them because they did not like the idea of Romulans gaining possible access to the technology). The Romulans located one of those psionic weapons like in that one episode where Picard went undercover as mercenaries went after a similar device. Exposed to the weapon in a firefight it awakened psionic abilities in his brain.

T'pon- his wife the vulcan is back-this time she is teh science officer.

Rath Uv Khahaan -Klingon tactical officer-focus-ground combat skills-name a parody you figure it out lol.

Sava Ek'noor- Andorian female tactical officer- ship weapons focus

Chief Eric Hardy-(based off friend)-Chief engineer-human

I am using the type B- varient new uniforms i am allocating a Retro Gold=command red=security/engineer uniform color code. (plus it lets ya have RED shirts again-i think that if there is a "default" color spread in STO's lore it is like this anyways as i noted red is the npc security color)

I Kitbashed a Miranda Hull centaur struts and nacelle varient, it isn't bugging me as much as i thought it reminds me of the "chandley" class from fasa's ST rpg.

Offline BES

« Reply #1291 on: January 30, 2010, 01:44:09 AM »
9th fleet better start sending out fleet invites :-P

look for anyone with @BES12000 ...thats me and I normally play fed side..

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #1292 on: January 30, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
I don't have a picture but you can meet Kira-Yoshi O'Brien on memory-alpha, hes one of the scientists. That another Canon Character. You can also meet Leonard James Akaar on a mission, hes an Admiral.

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #1293 on: January 30, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
There have been reports of employees of the pre-order stores getting theirs as soon as they come into stock, therefore using the codes. Which will explain the TOS uniforms and Constitutions people are seeing.

I've got my liberated Borg captain, Johnathan P Keats. In command of the U.S.S. Beagle. YAY! Going to carry on the Cruiser line, up to Sovereign refit.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline BES

« Reply #1294 on: January 30, 2010, 04:51:41 PM »
There have been reports of employees of the pre-order stores getting theirs as soon as they come into stock, therefore using the codes. Which will explain the TOS uniforms and Constitutions people are seeing.

I've got my liberated Borg captain, Johnathan P Keats. In command of the U.S.S. Beagle. YAY! Going to carry on the Cruiser line, up to Sovereign refit.

Yeah gamestop is well know for its employees, stealing preorder keys among other issues..my friend just got his preorder from them but they kept the retail key and told him he cant have it yet until Feb 2nd...
I told him he should keep an eye on that..

Offline majormagna

• English Idiot
  • Bail Out!
« Reply #1295 on: January 30, 2010, 05:00:35 PM »
No that's right, it's been said on the STO site that retail keys don't get delivered until the 2nd.
Did you know I'm on Twitter?

Offline Villain

• Cookies: 71
  • The artist formerly known as Prime
« Reply #1296 on: January 30, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
ITT: Casual gamers have an orgasm over a generic MMO.

EDIT: On the subject of CO having pay-for material and STO not...

What do you expect? CO has /always/ been there to generate revenue for STO to be built. We've all known this since its development. Daystar I think you completely missed the point of the development teams goals.

City of Heroes had free content, with City of Villains originally being pay-for (And Going Rogue also being pay-for). SWG had the same, major updates like space flight were pay-for (Jump to Lightspeed), whereas other updates came through your usual subscription. CO having a small fee for extra content would generate further money to go towards STO in the short term, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

I don't think anyone told Cryptic that in the long run you lose money with MMO's.

"The design is clearly ancient... Launched hundreds of thousands of years ago."

Quote from: JimmyB76
der-ner-ner-ner-ner ..... der-ner-ner-ner-ner .....
---
Quote from: Rick Sternbach, on the topic of the Galor Class' length
...Probably not, but the number I get(379.6m) could be considered ?original intent,? a term that I think I will be using from now on, and ?canon? be damned.

Offline Dawg81

« Reply #1297 on: January 30, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
ROFLMFAO :funny :funny :funny :funny :funny

Offline BES

« Reply #1298 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
ITT: Casual gamers have an orgasm over a generic MMO.

Generic huh?... I take offense to that remark...

They put a lot of work into the game, yes there are issues, as well as things I dont like, as well as things that I think they should change...but I am enjoying it anyway...

Offline Tuskin38

« Reply #1299 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:35 PM »
Its really not that generic. Its more fun then WoW